AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted already since many ask for which sub will work. I'm using 5 small Klipsch Quintet III speakers in a very small TV room (10' x 10') and need a sub to blend with them. I came across reviews on Overstock.com and Amazon.com on the Acoustech H-100. I know what a good subwoofer sounds like since I own a Martin Logan Descent for my very large family room but need something basic for this small room. It seems a lot of folks focus on how loud and shaking a subwoofer will display. I don't mind this but hoping more that it will blend better with the small Klipsch speakers I'm using. I had a crappy JBL PSW-1200 I used and hated how bloated it sounded along with the sound bleeding up into the voices which was the most annoying of all. I just want the sub to blend, disappear and do its job and I'll be happy. It will be on the second floor of my house so don't think I'll be blasting my family downstairs anyway as far as volume goes.

Does the BIC Acoustech H-100 work well for what I'm describing. It will be for 5.1 home theater only, no music.

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrobert /forum/post/19504742

Sorry if this has been posted already since many ask for which sub will work. I'm using 5 small Klipsch Quintet III speakers in a very small TV room (10' x 10') and need a sub to blend with them. I came across reviews on Overstock.com and Amazon.com on the Acoustech H-100. I know what a good subwoofer sounds like since I own a Martin Logan Descent for my very large family room but need something basic for this small room. It seems a lot of folks focus on how loud and shaking a subwoofer will display. I don't mind this but hoping more that it will blend better with the small Klipsch speakers I'm using. I had a crappy JBL PSW-1200 I used and hated how bloated it sounded along with the sound bleeding up into the voices which was the most annoying of all. I just want the sub to blend, disappear and do its job and I'll be happy. It will be on the second floor of my house so don't think I'll be blasting my family downstairs anyway as far as volume goes.

Does the BIC Acoustech H-100 work well for what I'm describing. It will be for 5.1 home theater only, no music.

Thanks,

Robert

If you can go up about 10 dollars you can get the Hsu STF-2 for about $358 shipped. It's on sale at the moment and i can't think of a better option for what you're looking for at that price range.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

The Lava subs are supposed to be getting good reviews also, its gonna be a hair under 350 shipped:

http://www.lavasubs.com/12_inch/powe...subwoofer.html

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree that the HSU STF-2 is a good choice. But another good choice and possibly a better value (and 12" rather than STF-2 which is 10") is the Lava LSP12, which can be had for about $287 including shipping with available AVS 15% discount! The BIC PL-200 would be a better option than the H-100 for nearly the same price, but I went with the Lava and am truly impressed with the build quality and performance at its price point, it has VALUE written all over it!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, it seems you both agreed on the same two. Will either be better than the than the BIC F12 or VK-12?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just pulled on the trigger on the STF2 yesterday after a few months of reading online forums and reviews...

I also looked at some carver subs for below $350 but haven't seen any reviews on them so decided to pass for a safer bet. I was kicking myself since I didn't pull the trigger on the HSU VTF-2 for a bit more when they were on sale last month.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by microphage1 /forum/post/19506430

I just pulled on the trigger on the STF2 yesterday after a few months of reading online forums and reviews...

I also looked at some carver subs for below $350 but haven't seen any reviews on them so decided to pass for a safer bet. I was kicking myself since I didn't pull the trigger on the HSU VTF-2 for a bit more when they were on sale last month.

Thanks, I appreciate the input on the HSU STF2. I will check it out along with the VTF-2. It sounds after I read the other posts that the HSU is probably a better performer. Maybe the Lava sub is a "better value" for the price. I'm not in to just saving money. I would easily spend more to get one that is better over the years of use. A bad sub can kill the movie experience while a good / great sub can help take you into the movie itself.

What was the price of the VTF-2 when on sale?

Robert

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrobert /forum/post/19506528

Thanks, I appreciate the input on the HSU STF2. I will check it out along with the VTF-2. It sounds after I read the other posts that the HSU is probably a better performer. Maybe the Lava sub is a "better value" for the price. I'm not in to just saving money. I would easily spend more to get one that is better over the years of use. A bad sub can kill the movie experience while a good / great sub can help take you into the movie itself.

What was the price of the VTF-2 when on sale?

Robert

oops. it was the VTF-1... for 379 then add shipping. I kinda figured if I didn't get the HSU sub like everybody else said here, I'd be left wondering ..."what if..."

I hate internet forums...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts