AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off i am a newbie, my room is 24 by 17 by 8, room has stairs going down, have a multi level, can shut the door to enter if needed, my setup is definintive 7004 mains, definintive 8060 center, older definintive 1 x as rears and infinity in in the ceiling directly above couch, and a definintive super cube 2 as my sub, im looking to fet a new sub, hsu vtf-15h, svs pb2000 or sb 2000, rythmik D15 se, psa xv or xs 15, not really sure if i need ported or not?, then after looking for countless hours, i see a new company, reaction audio, and the dual 12" turbo look like a heck of a steal. im thinking in my head that the hsu may be to big. starting to go crazy over trying to find the new right sub, 1100$ absolute max, 60/ 40 home th/music, any help is great

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,695 Posts

Dual Rythmik LV12R, dual HSU VTF2.4

These options should both come in around $1100 and provide, full, smooth bass in your room with a good balance of theater and music ability.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If i was only able to get a single sub which one would it be? Not sure if the waf would go for 2.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony9134  /t/1520695/which-sub-to-pick#post_24432160

If i was only able to get a single sub which one would it be? Not sure if the waf would go for 2.

Something I built out of two robust 18" drivers with lots of Xmax, robust voice coils, and a power amp with a DSP built in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thinkn I might have to go just a tad smaller than the hsu vtf15 what would be the next choice, has anybody heard anything about them reaction audio subs yet

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think the xv15 is going to be my choice. maybe, still wondering about reaction audio also. im guessing ported is the way to go for sure, right?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony9134  /t/1520695/which-sub-to-pick#post_24435953

i think the xv15 is going to be my choice. maybe, still wondering about reaction audio also. im guessing ported is the way to go for sure, right?

Sealed subs at the same price point as the XV15 wouldn't give you enough output for that size space. You'd probably need dual sealed subs. Now if you could swing two XS15s it might be enough. Best to ask PSA. Not sure about the Reaction Audio subs.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony9134  /t/1520695/which-sub-to-pick#post_24435953

A ported sub will give you a lot more output around the port tuning frequency. Most ported subs, like the xv15 are tuned to around 20 hz. Generally speaking a ported sub will outdo a sealed around the port tuning frequency and match it at other frequencies. Since the reaction audio subs have 2 drivers, then it should outdo a single driver ported sub outside of the tuning frequency and be close around the port tuning frequency. I'm not taking into account the quality of the drivers themselves nor the quality of the amps. I'm just comparing the designs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Everyone tells you that you need two and I'm not entirely sure. I have a bigger room (25x25x8) and I used a measly 8" sub @ 200w that, although it doesn't shake the house, you can still notice decent sound from movies and music. Now, I'm not recommending you get what I have, just putting in my thoughts given that this is what I have and it DOES work.

My future solutions, and you can take this or leave it are:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24534886 ($260 and returnable)

then, if that doesn't work
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/PB-1000

then if that doesn't work
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html

then if that doesn't work...not sure.

Keep in mind that I'm extremely cheap and choose to go the safe routes to accomplish my goals, but this might help you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ulate  /t/1520695/which-sub-to-pick#post_24437766

Everyone tells you that you need two and I'm not entirely sure. I have a bigger room (25x25x8) and I used a measly 8" sub @ 200w that, although it doesn't shake the house, you can still notice decent sound from movies and music.

Yeah, but that's like saying "I eat Mickey D's Double Cheeseburgers and they taste OK to me" when someone is trying to recommend a New York Stip steak. There is a huge difference in quality between what you are experiencing and what the XV15 would provide. Likely a bigger difference than if you just turned your sub off and ran your mains full range. LOL

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1520695/which-sub-to-pick#post_24437912

Yeah, but that's like saying "I eat Mickey D's Double Cheeseburgers and they taste OK to me" when someone is trying to recommend a New York Stip steak. There is a huge difference in quality between what you are experiencing and what the XV15 would provide. Likely a bigger difference than if you just turned your sub off and ran your mains full range. LOL

W/E. I'm offering a different perspective than always saying, "go dual" no matter what. Not everyone needs what you need.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ulate  /t/1520695/which-sub-to-pick#post_24438010

W/E. I'm offering a different perspective than always saying, "go dual" no matter what. Not everyone needs what you need.
Have you run dual subs?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ulate  /t/1520695/which-sub-to-pick#post_24438010

Arguing for or against dual is one thing. Let me be blunt. Talking about how good that 8" Energy sub sounds is the Mickey D comparison I was making. It is the same sub that comes with the Energy Take Classic set. Pairing the B&W 683s with that Energy sub is like drinking a bad box wine you could find with a gourmet meal. It's such a mismatch in audio quality to go along with the rest of your setup, it is inadequate to provide good bass at louder volumes in a room that size, and it would have no usable

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1  /t/1520695/which-sub-to-pick#post_24438259

Have you run dual subs?

No, I haven't. But it sounds amazing, I just don't think that everyone needs it. I would do it if I had the means, or the access to my living room (which I haven't for about 7 months now
). You?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ulate  /t/1520695/which-sub-to-pick#post_24438312

No, I haven't. But it sounds amazing,

Then you obviously don't know what good bass sounds like. You were willing to buy mains that must have cost you $1400 or more. How could you think that a speaker--that has to have a built in amp, too--would give you good quality for $100? Now, try to imagine how much better your system would sound when I tell you that the difference between the XV15 and your Energy sub is as easily as big as a $200 set of speakers and yours.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ulate  /t/1520695/which-sub-to-pick#post_24438312

No, I haven't. But it sounds amazing, I just don't think that everyone needs it. I would do it if I had the means, or the access to my living room (which I haven't for about 7 months now
). You?
I haven't run duals. I am interested in hearing from people who have, though, as I am considering it.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1520695/which-sub-to-pick#post_24438407

Try this Google search: https://www.google.com/search?q=dual+vs+single+sub+avs+site:www.avsforum.com

You'll find lots of discussion already on AVS about duals
Oh, don't worry, I have about 25 tabs open on my browser right now, more than half of which are threads on AVS. :)

I'm just stuck between the "I know two is superior to one" and "I can't currently afford two of what I really want" 

1 - 20 of 74 Posts