AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of Polk RM6700 speakers(4 sats with 1 center).I've read some opinions on sticking with Polk for the sub. Price is the driving factor here. I'm looking at the PSW12 or for $50 more the PSW-404. These are both below $400. Any recommendations? I'm open to other brands also. I'll be wiring it up via the

L/R speaker wires in/out of the sub as reccomended by Polk.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Couple of things:

1) I was not impressed with the Polk subs I have heard. I'm not sure which ones they were - whatever they have at Circuit City. I would keep looking, and I would put zero weight to having the sub be a Polk just because you have other Polk speakers. I want a *good* sub - irregardless of brand. How large is your room (LxWxH)? Music, movies or both?

2) What receiver do you have? If you have a multichannel AV receiver with a sub-out or LFE jack, then do NOT hook your other speakers to the sub - you will lose all ability to do digital dolby, DTS, etc surround sound - which is usually the whole point of having a 5.1 system! If the Polk manual really says that is the preferred method (which I doubt) - they are WRONG.

HTH :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
25' x 12' wide with a 13' cathedral ceiling. There's a 12' opening at the far end that opens to a kitchen/dining room (8' ceiling) and a hall with a 8' ceiling on the wall next to that.

........................ | kitchen |..

....................................... --hall way

Kenwood n8100 7.1 network audio/video receiver

Polk RM6700 speakers

Mostly using it for HT 90% of the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.