AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a sunwoofer to go with my HT system. Currently running B & W 803's front with B & W HTM1 centre and B & W rears. I have looked at the Revel B15 and the Velodyne HGS 15. Running Denon AVC -S10 AMP plus power Amp.

Which is the best? I have read about ambient noise problems with the velodyne.

Any help will be appreciated

Ian

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ian,

Welcome to the forum! A couple quick questions for you:

- what's your sub budget (at least roughly)?

- how big is your room?

- roughly what percentage do you listen to music vs. HT/movies?

- any constraints as to size/shape/look of the sub? (i.e., will it have to match the decor?)

Both the subs you mention are great subs. You'll probably get some suggestions here however that will help you get as good performance (or better), for less money.

Some sites to start perusing (in alphabetical order):

http://www.hsuresearch.com/
http://www.svsubwoofers.com
http://www.vmpsaudio.com/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike,

The prices I have for the two I mentioned were around the $2500 -$3000 USD mark. I am happy around that sort of value.

The room is about 7m x 5m and the subwoofer does not need to match decor. Black is probabaly the best colour.

I wanted the subwoofer for movies and was not really considering it for music. I find the nautilus 803's give enough base but I am open to guidance on this.

Thanks for the links

Ian

·
Registered
648 Posts
Take a long hard look at the Sunfire Signature Truesub. It fits your price range and the power and flexibility are hard to beat. The only complaints I've read are that some accuse it of not being the most "musical" subwoofer they have ever heard. I don't have this problem. I think it may be related to the fact that I have the crossover set pretty low. Around 45Hz or so. If you are really happy with your main speakers you can even disable the subwoofer when listening to music. I've done this at times.

http://www.sunfire.com/products/index.html

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ian,

All the forgoing recommendations are good ones.

VMPS, HSU, SVS, and Sunfire.

To that list, I would add the Earthquake SuperNova MKII 15". I have one and have had all the above but the SVS in my system and must say that it equals or surpasses all of them for Home Theater.

http://www.earthquakesound.com/serv02.htm

If you are looking for the best hybrid (music and theater) then it narrows the field.

VMPS and Earthquake are the clear leaders (IMHO) in my listening enviroment.

The VMPS is $699 (no amp) the SuperNova is $2500 with a 580 watt amp.

Stereophile will have a review coming out soon on the SuperNova and wait till you see what they have to say. It has also been well reviewed in other publictions for its power and SPL. (sound pressure levels) as well as accuracy and quickness.

The VMPS is called the "LARGER" and it is (a 12" and 15" driver with a 15" passive radiator). If you couple this with a well dampened 300+ watt amp you will hit 16hz with more authority than most can handle.

(NASA bought these SUBS for their vibration testing since no other subs at that time could sustain the SPLs at such a low frequency and the high level tone bursts)

If you have the space, get two VMPS LARGER ($1400) and a great amp to drive them. Nothing could touch that (well only a couple)

Or if space is a limiting factor, spring for a SuperNova and never look back, knowing you have one of the best commercially available) subs for home theater on the planet (again among only a couple).

Boy aren't you going to have fun.

John Casler

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ian,

All the forgoing recommendations are good ones.

VMPS, HSU, SVS, and Sunfire.

To that list, I would add the Earthquake SuperNova MKII 15". I have one and have had all the above but the SVS in my system and must say that it equals or surpasses all of them for Home Theater.

If you are looking for the best hybrid (music and theater) then it narrows the field.

VMPS and Earthquake are the clear leaders (IMHO) in my listening enviroment.

The VMPS is $699 (no amp) the SuperNova is $2500 with a 580 watt amp.

Stereophile will have a review coming out soon on the SuperNova and wait till you see what they have to say. It has also been well reviewed in other publictions for its power and SPL. (sound pressure levels) as well as accuracy and quickness.

The VMPS is called the "LARGER" and it is (a 12" and 15" driver with a 15" passive radiator). If you couple this with a well dampened 300+ watt amp you will hit 16hz with more authority than most can handle.

(NASA bought these SUBS for their vibration testing since no other subs at that time could sustain the SPLs at such a low frequency and the high level tone bursts)

If you have the space, get two VMPS LARGER ($1400) and a great amp to drive them. Nothing could touch that (well only a couple)

Or if space is a limiting factor, spring for a SuperNova and never look back, knowing you have one of the best commercially available) subs for home theater on the planet (again among only a couple).

Boy aren't you going to have fun.

John Casler

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Ian,

One of the best subs on the planet is the Velodyne HGS 18.

With its Servo (lowest distortion) design and 1250 watt amp, this monster has been measured fairly flat down to a gut wrenching 12.5Hz.

I'm installing two of these (together with two HGS 10's) into a new theater at the end of July. Hope the building doesn't fall down.

Eric

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Quote:
NASA bought these SUBS for their vibration testing since no other subs at that time could sustain the SPLs at such a low frequency and the high level tone bursts
At Goddard they use very large air horns driven by compressed air...

Regardless of which sub you choose, you should also get a parametric EQ (given your budget). Room modes will drastically affect your sub's in-room response (i.e. result in a boomy sound). Unless you are very lucky, you will have a few large peaks that need to be flattened out (even after careful placement).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.