AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surge suppression will not be effective without a ground. Large MOVs can absorb most transient energy but they are not very predictable. Most quality surge protectors use hybrid technology which coordinates the components as to minimize let-through voltage. Most hybrid SPDs rely on a path to ground. There are 2 different types of transients, common mode and differential mode. A quality MOV could absorb the energy during a diff mode event. But with either of these events, they can cause damage to your equipment by diverting harmful energy through your component to a TV cable or Phone connection which are grounded to earth. I sell industrial SPD and UPS equipment. There is very valuable technical info at www.telematic.com. Please excuse their english as they are British (Ha!)

------------------

Through man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world...

- Saint Arnoldus

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I have just moved into an older house which does not have grounded ac outlets. I am going to the trouble and expense of having grounded outlets along with an isolated ground rod installed for my new home theater room. I want to now ensure that my equipment is protected from surges or other electrical interference that might occur.

I don't want to spend the money on a UPS which would be nice. I have narrowed my choices down to buying two Panamax 1000+ units or two Isotel 8 units. The warranty on the Panamax unit is nice and high at 1 million dollars but the Isotel warranty would still cover the cost of my equipment just fine. I simply like the Panamax units better because of the way they look but I just simply want something that is going to do the job right. Is there any reason to go with isotel over panamax or vice-versa?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
JP,

If you don't need to keep power to a component in order to

do a graceful shutdown - like a computer, or cooling a

projector - you are correct that you don't need a UPS.

Look at the specs - see what the "clamping voltage" is,

and how much energy the unit can absorb, which will be

given in Joules, and the response time, usually given in

nanoseconds [ ns ]. There is also a UL rating for surge

protectors [ UL 1442 ??? ] something like that.

The above specs will tell you how high a voltage the device

will allow to reach the protected device before it clamps

it. The energy spec tells how much surge energy it can

absorb - the higher the better. The specs also say how

fast the unit responds to a surge in nanoseconds.

Those are the performance parameters to look at - and then

you can factor in cost and looks.

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.