AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the cylinders only, as I like the look and want to keep it clean and inconspicuous. I was looking at the 20-39 PCI and 20-39 PC+. I will be using an Onkyo sr705 and my speakers are Energy Conessiour series, cant remember exact model #'s. My room is the real kicker here: it is 15 x 15 with about 15' vaulted ceilings, it also is open to the kitchen and dining areas. I can only imagine how much of a bass nightmare this can be. I originally had a psb12 something or other and remember it sounding good enough. Well that little rascal has gone missing and I am upgrading to the sr705 so I figured why not upgrade my bas requirements as well. The second kicker is that I live in a condo on the second floor, so I can only get a little crazy some of the time. Basically I want to be able to hear the bass, not necessarily feel it when I am watching tv or movies at night or when ever my neighbors may be home. When they are gone I want to feel it and shake my pictures on the walls a bit, just not knock them off. So there it is, as long winded as it can get. BTW my preference is pretty much 95% movies with the other being split between games and music. I wont be moving into this place until September so I have some time. I am pre wiring right now and need to decide what wires and how long I need to run them through the walls. I live in Tampa, FL; is there anywhere around my neck of the woods that I can audition. Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Joe

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Joe, in addition to the common sense of putting padding between the sub and the floor, the best way to enjoy bass with the least disturbance to anyone else is to put the sub close to you.

If you can place the sub behind the couch, at one end of the couch, behind the chair, etc. you will get the most bass effect for yourself with the least volume.

If you can do such a nearfield placement you can save some money and get the slightly less powerful 20-39pci. Ask SVS for the lower (18Hz I believe) tuning option -- it's a no-charge upgrade.

If you have to place the sub away from you, in that room you probably should get the more powerful 20-39 Plus.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts