AVS Forum banner

Which system will sell the most copies of Final Fantasy XIII?

• Xbox 360

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Playstation 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that the beans have been spilled. What do you fellow AVS'ers think about sales. Which system will sell FF XIII the best for Squeenix? MS has the installed base and the 1 year headstart, while Sony has an army of on the fence PS3'ers who didn't jump for MGS4 but will for Squares next Final Fantasy installation.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/14294501

PS3, easily. Why? One word: Japan. It's still exclusive there.

I wonder (not vgchartz #'s) how America buys FF titles versus Japan. I always heard Dragon Quest was crazy over there..but do we outbuy them on FF?

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
i would vote PS3, IF all console sales #'s were for console sales, and not blu-ray player sales....

its impossible to know how many ps3's went to gamers, so it's kind of hard to judge at this point... i'd say its a toss-up, but i'll vote 360 for the larger installed base, even though the typical 360 gamer isnt a FF fan, i think the sqenix guys will gain a more broad audience with this move.

·
Registered
404 Posts
In japan DQ is definitely favoured over FF. FF sells a few hundred thousands more copies then in the US, but keep in mind that doesn't include any other english territories.

Stuff like X-2 sell more in Japan since they're usually too out there for NA/European gamers.

I would be surprised if FF13 doesn't sell more in the US this time though.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
It's PS3 easily. Now in the US it may be closer to 50/50, but worldwide PS3 will blow it out.

·
Registered
588 Posts
N.America: 360

Europe: PS3

Japan: PS3 (obviously)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
PS3 because of Japan. In the US it might sell more on PS3 just because the people who will want it are more likely to already have a PS3.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebackhus /forum/post/14295736

Is this thread from the future?

The game isn't out yet.

Didnt you get the AVS standard issue flux capacitor when you joined the forum?

·
Registered
378 Posts
...no.

I did, however, try to order one at work. I jokingly wrote "Flux Capacitor" on the order supply form and had it sent in with the rest my department's requests. Well, a few weeks later we received our order and a note. Apparently nobody understood that the flux capacitor was a fictional device and they were searching all of those weeks to find one to fulfill my request.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Since it sounds like Final Fantasy XIII may not be released for the Xbox 360 at all in Japan, is it really fair to include Japan in these numbers? Or should we only be considering territories where users actually have the option to buy either version? In such a case, it seems likely that the Xbox 360 will sell more copies when both versions are equally available.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Due to the there currently being more 360 fans and some quite upset PS3 fans who like to "boycott" companies that "scrw them over" (some people take things to seriously) I am going to say 360 will sell more or almost equal amount of copies (and thats with it being exclusive to PS3 in Japan). But then a lot of the fanbase is actually on the PS3, but then a lot of those fans keep telling their Xbox "opponents" how superior FF is to all the Xbox "crp" JPRGs...... so it will be close either way IMHO.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I voted 360 just because it sells more copies of every other multi-plat game, so I don't see this one being any different.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Easy, PS3.

1. It is exclusive in Japan, the largest market.

2. One disc vs likely 4+.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookilook /forum/post/14294605

20M consoles vs. 10M consoles... which will sell more?

Wasn't MS just bragging about having a 5m lead WW over the PS3 during E3? You expect it to widen by 5m by the time FFXIII comes out?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Worldwide? PS3 without a doubt.

In the US? I'm guessing around 50/50 or a split slightly in favor for the 360.

I'm not so sure that the typical 360 user is really all that interested in Final Fantasy series (or JRPGs in general) - at least I know I'm not, nor are the majority of my friends. However, I'm assuming that the 360 should be able to match the amount of copies sold on the PS3 simply because the user base for the 360 is larger.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/14298985

2. One disc vs likely 4+.

I don't think that'll matter much, considering two things:

1. On the 360, you would be able to install all 4 discs to the HDD

2. With a single BD, you're likely going to get multiple mandatory installs, unless square gives the option to install the entire thing to the HDD. Multiple 5-minute installs is probably more annoying to most than taking 5 seconds to swap the disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holler /forum/post/14299668

I'm not so sure that the typical 360 user is really all that interested in Final Fantasy series (or JRPGs in general).

But the 360 has pretty much established itself as the JRPG/RPG console for this gen. The 360 user base has shown that they want RPG's.

Considering:

1. Multiplat games have always sold better on the 360

2. There is a significantly larger user base for the 360

3. Fence-sitters that were waiting on this game to buy a PS3 may buy a 360 because it's cheaper

4. FF games aren't quite as popular in Japan as many believe,

I think the game will sell better on 360, barely. The fact that it's exclusive in Japan (for the time being) will make it close, but there are too many other factors to make-up for. Whichever ends up selling more, it won't be by much at all.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts