AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't care much for HD so I wanted to know which type of TV will have the best PQ from an analog feed.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You don't care much for HD???????? WTF????????

Why are you here?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clone
I don't care much for HD so I wanted to know which type of TV will have the best PQ from an analog feed.
Do yourself a favor and try to find someone who can show you a primetime network show like CSI in HD. You might change your opinion.

I chose a GWIII because it seemed to handle SD/analog better than a Sammy DLP. You might want to look for a good CRT but why waste your money if the picture quality doesn't matter?

:confused:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Analog TV's (CRT) will show analog material (SDTV, VHS, Laser Disk) the best.

Digital TV's (LCD, DLP, LCoS, Plasma) will show digital material (Digital HDTV, DVD) the best.

Your best bet is a direct view CRT TV. Next would be a CRT RPTV. Out of the digital RPTV's, LCD is most often considered the best with an Analog signal, but that is being kind, it can't hold a candle to an analog CRT TV.

·
2,436 Posts
Don't waste your time or money with a 16:9 set. No sense in watching stretched programming or paying for screen real estate you wont use. Just buy a nice tube or 4:3 RP CRT and come back in 5 years when all the SD is gone. Then we will talk HD.

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
Sorry, double post

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
Stick with nonHDready TVs, since HDreadys will only do progressive or HD scanrates. For 480i, these all have built-in de-interlacers/line doublers, very few of which are worthy of writing home about. If you don't mind the interlace artifacts, you're all set, with just CRT RPTV technology.

I am selling a fully calibrated 50" analog Mit with settings that allow for perfect color balancing, with NO red push. See the attachment, which is a photo of an actual pic on the set, from AI. I would be glad to email you other pix from the set also.

Mr Bob

PS - I am not sure if it is OK for me to be talking about this, as far as selling something goes. If not please correct me and point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMike6by9
Do yourself a favor and try to find someone who can show you a primetime network show like CSI in HD. You might change your opinion.

I chose a GWIII because it seemed to handle SD/analog better than a Sammy DLP. You might want to look for a good CRT but why waste your money if the picture quality doesn't matter?

:confused:
because there are only a handful of channels that are HD. Why spend thousands on a TV that you can only watch a few HD channels. doesn't make any sense. I'd rather wait 5 years than get an hdtv where every channel is in HD. You guys are getting ahead of yourselfs.

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
This country is attempting to one day land a man on Mars and one day have 1080p television for all. We have line quadruplers, scan converters, ghost cancellation circuits, all kinds of stuff. Now I know that SD isn't very profitable, but answer me this...does anyone in the world have the advanced Star Trek intelligence required to make SD look good on digital TV--is it something so advanced that only the Creator has the capacity to do? Is it impossible to make SD look good? I know it isn't profitable and TV is changing so why worry, but 100 years from now will some video engineer try to design devices that will take old SD material from the past century and make it look good? Real genius isn't involved in making good things great. Real genius would be making SD look great--actually taking in garbage and outputting art...I dream dreams that never were and ask Why not?(I hope some copyright owner doesn't get me for saying that!)

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
HDreadys are not just for HD - any RPTV that plays DVD in anything other than its native 480i will make it look better, and there are thousands of DVD titles to choose from.

And some do a darn fine job of taking DVD's 480i and turning it into a highly respectable 1080i! LiteOn, Momitsu, Samsung and Bravo all use the Sigma 8500 chipset that does just that, and at that point there is no limit to the video you can watch, and still not be fettered by the limitations of availability that HD is still suffering from as it grows. Both Fox and NBC routinely have dead commercial space on their HD versions, while the NTSC versions never lose a second in that advertising revenue stream. So I do agree with you that there is a great shortage of HD presently, compared to what it will be like 5 years from now.

But even so, it is worth it to get an HDready TV if you watch a lot of video, esp. DVDs.

Add to that, you no longer have to buy expensive STBs to get HD. Both cable and Dish now offer STBs that put out HD, for $5-10/mo. extra on cable - in the SF Bay Area it is $5/mo. for Comcast HD - and/or $10/mo. extra on satellite, over and above whatever your regular monthly rates are.

Mr Bob

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jet Champion
This country is attempting to one day land a man on Mars and one day have 1080p television for all. We have line quadruplers, scan converters, ghost cancellation circuits, all kinds of stuff. Now I know that SD isn't very profitable, but answer me this...does anyone in the world have the advanced Star Trek intelligence required to make SD look good on digital TV--is it something so advanced that only the Creator has the capacity to do? Is it impossible to make SD look good? I know it isn't profitable and TV is changing so why worry, but 100 years from now will some video engineer try to design devices that will take old SD material from the past century and make it look good? Real genius isn't involved in making good things great. Real genius would be making SD look great--actually taking in garbage and outputting art...I dream dreams that never were and ask Why not?(I hope some copyright owner doesn't get me for saying that!)
...ahh, from the mouth of babes, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing (paraphrasing the bard of course)

to quote, "Real genius would be making SD look great"---they DID, it's called HD :p

you want something that'll really bake your noodle? Try this.. for all the technological advances that has been made in any industry.. Floppy Disks, are still around and are still on nearly 99% of computers out there, lol

..why? -.- heh

·
Registered
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GooglyBear
you want something that'll really bake your noodle? Try this.. for all the technological advances that has been made in any industry.. Floppy Disks, are still around and are still on nearly 99% of computers out there, lol

..why? -.- heh
Woohoo! I have two machines in that one percent with no floppies.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Before I bought my new TV, I was watching SD DirectTv 60%, DVD 20%, Games 20%. There wasn't enough shows I wanted to watch on HDTV to make it worth the investment right now (not into sports). I really wanted to like the Samsung DLPs, but at every store I saw, it was very blocky and pixellated for SD stuff. The Sony GWII (at the time the III wasn't out) did alot better with SD material, but the dark grey "black" bothered me, so that was out. Originally I didn't look at plasma due to burn-in, but it always had the best picture for SD material. In the end, I bought a Panny 6UY 42" for less than I would have paid for a DLP and the 480p res is perfect for DVDs and SD material. I've had it since last Oct and burn-in isn't a concern. The "Just" stretch mode is great for 4:3 material and 16:9 anamorphic DVDs and consoles look awesome. I imagine when HDTV is mature enough for me to consider, there will be new display technologies and existing stuff will be cheaper and I'll move the Plasma to the bedroom.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Bob

And some do a darn fine job of taking DVD's 480i and turning it into a highly respectable 1080i! LiteOn, Momitsu, Samsung and Bravo all use the Sigma 8500 chipset
Quick correction. The sammy does not use the sigma chipset. It uses the faroudja chipset. Not really relevant, but should be noted.

- jb

·
Registered
672 Posts
I understand where Clone is coming from. Almost invariably, when you view analog material on a digital monitor, whether it is plasma, LCD, DLP, LCos or CRT, the scaling of the 480i signal is poorly done by the internal scaling. Also, if you're visiting a major retailer, just try asking them to connect an external scaler to the display device that you're interested in so that you can see how well the device performs when connected to it. Their eyes start spinning and they sputter and stammer and act like you just asked them to hand over the keys to their car. Seriously though, most display devices out there could benefit from an external scaler processing all incoming analog video. So, backing up to Clone's original message, I'd change his question to:

"I don't see any visible benefit, at this time, to focusing on HD material for my personal viewing. Most of my viewing will continue to be analog material. That being said, what display devices out there provide the best image quality for analog sources without having to go to an expensive external processor?"

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
mrkaos -

Thanks for the correction. I must have heard wrong. I know some of the Pannys in the last year or 2 used the Sage/Faroudja DCDI chip - I am now a former owner of the Panny RP56, which did - but that was for 480i->480p. I didn't know Faroudja had come out with a chip for 480i->1080i for DVDPs.

What other units use that chip, and is there an actual name for it, aside from its being a Faroudja product?

Mr Bob

·
Registered
162 Posts
it is the DCDI chip and I am not sure about a name for it. It has been discussed in the dvd player forum quite a bit, but I can't seem to find a post with the actual name/model number. It is the only sub-$500 player that uses it. I am not positive (mainly becuase i could not afford it anyway), but I think there is now a Denon that uses it for the same conversion. Don't quote me on that though. Sorry I can't be of more help. I really should know becuase I own the sammy.

- JB

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.