AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now fretting not only about seeing Star Wars digitally, but about what kind of digital projector I'll see. I live in Los Angeles so I have a choice of about 6 or 7 different venues in which to see it digitally. I want to see it on an SXGA model, not an XGA model. =)

Does anyone know the brand and/or model names of the current DLP cinema projectors in use? At least armed with that info I could try to talk with the projectionist or manager, who might know which one they're using.

·
Registered
855 Posts
There are NO XGA resolution DLP Cinema(tm) projectors. Anything branded as "DLP Cinema(tm)" is currently SXGA. Your choice is easy. Go see one. :)

As for manufacturers, there are: Barco, Christy, Digital Projection and TI (prototypes).

From what I hear, the El Captitan is pretty good. ;)

·
Registered
622 Posts
DPI is out of Dcinema. The Chinese is the best place to see SWII, the El Capitan is not running DLP until Stitch.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I don't believe that Kodak/JVC have released their D-Cinema projector for that market yet. When released, it is going to be QXGA resolution(~4000x3000 rez.), and not SXGA. That's 12 million pixels compared to

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
speaking of D-Cinema

How would the QX1 fare against these measly DLP cinema units. I suspect it would kill them.

Why D-Cinema keeps hanging their hat only low res DLP technology is a real head scratcher.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Tryg,

I don't know about that...I don't think that anyone has hung their hat anywhere yet. Out of 3000+ commercial theaters in the US, only 29 have installed a digital projector.

That's less than one percent.

EDIT: It appears that the 29 number is a little dated. Read below for more info.

Mark

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually I just counted at dlp.com and they show 58 theaters in the U.S. with DLP projectors. Still measly but if 29 was a recent number then it's growing fast.

And what's the deal with resolution? Mark says they're all XGA, whereas Huckster says they're all SXGA. Hmm. . . .

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
milori,

Excuse me but isn't QXGA (quad-XGA) 1536X2048 (i.e., (768*2 by 1024*2)? This is over 3M pixels, which is considerably nicer than SXGA but not as much as you say.

The new JVC D-ILA is QXGA and is quite lovely. You and I saw it together at Infocomm last year.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Wow. Sorry about those numbers. I was thinking of the 4096x3000 rez. QUXGA D-ILA panel that Sony/JVC debutted at ShoWest 2001. I guess this must be the "next gen." after the QXGA. My mistake.

Here is the most recent resolution roadmap:
http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/...mg/device2.gif

By the way, this is the very first I've heard about Kodak's new "Imaging Technology Center" for D-Cinema . Is that awesome or what? Since they are working out the standards with SMPTE, it would seem that their success is virtually guaranteed (people do still care about standards, right?).

Mark

·
Registered
855 Posts
Chris,

I don't know where Millori got his resolution information. Probably the same place he got his information about how many theaters have DLP Cinema projectors. Mine comes from the Barco D-Cine 40 specs:

Digital Micromirror Deviceâ„¢

3 x high resolution S-XGA

DLP Cinemaâ„¢ DMDs

Since, in your first post, you asked about the here and now, not "sometime in the future", the answer is EVERY D-Cinema projector available for purchase or in use in a commercial theater includes 3 S-XGA resolution DLP Cinema DMDs. Pick a theater and go. :)

Sorry about the El Capitan suggestion before. I didn't realize they passed on Star Wars. I should have looked here . :(

·
Registered
622 Posts
The 4kx3k D-ILA was shown at Siggraph last year (seriously early prototype), not ShoWest. Kodak and JVC are only looking at the QXGA for Dcinema, nothing beyond that for commercial cinema. D-ILA is great for home use but has yet to be proven on large screens or accepted by the Hollywood technical or creative communities. JVC is at least 2-3 years behind TI but is learning a lot from their pioneering efforts.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw it last night Huckster at an AMC. I'm going to see it again at the Chinese to see if they have a superior presentation (tighter focus, better blacks, etc.)

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KWhite
The 4kx3k D-ILA was shown at Siggraph last year (seriously early prototype), not ShoWest. Kodak and JVC are only looking at the QXGA for Dcinema, nothing beyond that for commercial cinema.

They are currently working with QXGA because it is available now. I have heard indications that they are interested in working with 4K x 3K when it becomes available.

Quote:
D-ILA is great for home use but has yet to be proven on large screens or accepted by the Hollywood technical or creative communities.-

As opposed to DLP which is so widely accepted that it can now be seen on probably something less than 100 screens nationwide? I certainly agree that JVC has not proven itself on big screens since the work on a commercial cinema DILA is not completed yet!

Quote:

JVC is at least 2-3 years behind TI but is learning a lot from their pioneering efforts.
2-3 years behind in what regards? Market penetration? Performance? I certainly agree that they are behind in the market. Kodak is working on the light output issue right now. If they solve it, commercial cinemas will instantly have a viable alternative to DLP IMHO.

I really am not disagreeing with most of what you have to say, except for the fact that you phrase it as if it were definitive fact and I believe there is a little bit of opinion mixed in with it.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Huckster,

Contrast Ratio has definitely improved since the first gen D-cinema projectors. Typically the newer the installation the better.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Huckster,

It's not that the El Capitan "passed" on STAR WARS...they were not ever offered the booking. They are exclusively Disney. And of course, the Chinese was always slated to get EPISODE II because of the soft spot in George's heart after the seminal success of STAR WARS there in its original release and triumphant return engagement.

Eric

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe I am being dumb, but I cannot believe that the Cinema projectors offer no better resolution than SXGA - a ton of people on this forum have SXGA D-ILA projectors with the same resolution - but they have 8, 10, 12' screens - not 30. Other than higher lumens and arguably better calibration, what if the difference between them and a JVC D-ILA? In fact, I belive the D-ILA has the DLP beat when it comes to aperature, and thus visible picture structure.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
ppiazza,

Yes, it is true that the Cinema projectors currently used have SXGA resolution, that is all.

This is however helped somewhat by using the entire 1024*1280 pixels (or most of them) in conjunction with a standard anamorphic lens, the same type that is used for projecting CinemaScope/Panavision 35mm prints.

The projectors are also 3 chip DLP. Most DLP projectors that people have in their homes are 1 chip.

Further, DLP is ahead of D-ILA in terms of brightness for professional equipment. These machines have theatre-quality Xenon lamps behind them, giving brightness similar to 35mm projection.

Finally, the source is very high quality. I am not sure how much if any compression it has, but it is clearly better than a 1080i HDTV showing on TV.

·
Registered
557 Posts
ppiazza-

Also note that the D-Cinema projectors are fed via HD-SDI digital connections, so the data doesn't go through any A/D or D/A conversions. The film is converted to digital in the telecine using extremely high quality hardware, and is digital from that point on. In fact, using a DLP projector, the final D/A conversion is done by our retina! The compression technology used is much better, and the video is 10 bit, instead of consumer grade 8 bit. Yes, SXGA is a commonplace resolution, but it's just for starters, and it's amazing how good the image is, when everything else is done right. Just makes looking forward to higher resolution D-Cinema all the more exciting!

Dave

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
So what is the aspect ratio of "Attack of the Clones"? I haven't seen it. If its 1.33, that sucks. If not then are ther black bars above and below? If its 2.35, then are there enough pixels?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Just wanted to (maybe) clear up (?) a few things...

Quote:
rlsmith wrote:
Further, DLP is ahead of D-ILA in terms of brightness for professional equipment.
Hi RL,

I don't know if you were talking about D-Cinema when you mentioned "professional equipment", but the future D-Cinema JVC QX1 has 7000 lumens and the BarcoReality 6500 D Cinema projector has 4300 lumens .

The more professional-oriented M5000 also has 7,000 lumens.

Quote:
Dave W. wrote:
In fact, using a DLP projector, the final D/A conversion is done by our retina!
Hi Dave,

Again, not in D-Cinema, though. These DLPs are about as far from our home theater DLPs as you can get. They use 3 chips instead of 1. They have no color wheel. They use Xenon lamps instead of UHP bulbs. They are certainly not "microportables". And the D/A conversion happens in the projector itself and not in our brains. In other words, no rainbows.

Mark

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.