AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am nearing the end of my HT build, and am already looking to new projects. This one is for a sub for my PA or DJ setup I use for parties. I compete in Kansas City BBQ competitions, yet focus mostly on getting friends there so we can have a good time enjoying adult beverages and dancing. It is quite loud at these parties since there are 500 other parties in the same venue. I have 2 Mackie SRM450 active loudspeakers that have awesome bass normally, but gets lost with 100 people packed into the area. So I bought some stands for them that keeps the top end, but still losing most of the bass.

I'm looking at the Titan 48, using a single 15. What sub works best in this? I will steal one of the EP2500s from my HT setup to push this sub when I have parties. I'm looking for SPL on this to get the bass out of dance music and rap, I won't be using it for HT. Any other ideas or designs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c /forum/post/18157596

I am nearing the end of my HT build, and am already looking to new projects. This one is for a sub for my PA or DJ setup I use for parties. I compete in Kansas City BBQ competitions, yet focus mostly on getting friends there so we can have a good time enjoying adult beverages and dancing. It is quite loud at these parties since there are 500 other parties in the same venue. I have 2 Mackie SRM450 active loudspeakers that have awesome bass normally, but gets lost with 100 people packed into the area. So I bought some stands for them that keeps the top end, but still losing most of the bass.

I'm looking at the Titan 48, using a single 15. What sub works best in this? I will steal one of the EP2500s from my HT setup to push this sub when I have parties. I'm looking for SPL on this to get the bass out of dance music and rap, I won't be using it for HT. Any other ideas or designs?

Thanks!

i would say the T48 too, been looking at them myself. Over at BFM your gonna get nothing but members praising the eminence 15 here But many others have used Peaveys and JBLs... Maybe Wisounds will chime in.. I think hes the resident DJ / sub abuser

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow - 8.6 pounds?! I always thought the Eminence brand was fairly low-end. I'm not afraid of spending some money, but won't spend it for a name brand alone. If that is the speaker to use, I'm all over it. Is the idea with the THTs to use a low excursion driver since you can melt the VC easily? Looks like the Eminence is built to withstand the heat with the heat sink on the shield. Is that the reasoning behind the pro drivers here?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Wot genre are you trying to reproduce?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c /forum/post/18157596

Thanks!

d_c,

You need to ask yourself some questions....

1. How much spl/volume do you need? Do you need to flap people's pant legs or just thump them in the chest?

2. How low do you need to go? What type of music? Most pop/rock music doesn't have much below 40Hz, but some bass-heavy music dips into the 30s, and dnb/dubstep genres dip into the 20s and lower and pretty much anything goes...some people will argue over audibility of lower tones, but you cannot argue that you can FEEL when they are missing...

How big can the cab be (or multiple small ones)? In other words, will you have help moving them? Horn subs can get BIG.

How much money do you have to spend?

How good are you at building things from drawings? Bill Fitz's plans are easy to follow and step-by-step. If you have built things before and are pretty well versed in woodwork, there are plenty of other designs out there, horn or otherwise.

Check out DIYAudio's forum and look at ScreamersUSA's tapped horns, or Jbell's tapped horns....

Ask designers how loud and how clean their designs will play, and how much power is needed; ask for distortion figures, not just when how much power a driver will take before it is 'predicted' to hit Xmax....horns do not like being used below their passband, as their own efficiency kills them...

At some point, I plan on building a 30Hz horn based on a capable, high-excursion 15" driver.....30Hz will cover about 95% of the music out there with a little bit of wiggle room below....but I'm not doing it anytime soon...

JSS

·
Registered
921 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 /forum/post/18157941

which is kind of why I brought up WiSounds, Cuz he will use Bills horns with just about any sub ...

Are you implying that I am a hornwhore?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the responses! I'll try over at BF.com too, thanks.

I know it's taboo to say this to any audiophile ...but this one IS a boom box. Loud is my goal here with purpose to blow your socks off and thump in the chest. It's for parties. I'll keep reference sound in my vehicles and home and be picky there.

This would be more of a "loose" build for me. Meaning I want to build a tried and true design that someone already has experience with. I can build almost anything within reason and have patience to do it the right way, so I feel comfortable with difficult designs. I think that I should be able to find a suitable driver for under $300, the building materials are not included, but like I said, I don't have the need to spend double to gain a couple db. I WILL spend a couple hundred extra to get another 30db!! I don't think I need much below 30hz for outdoor parties, but I'm not sure. I have never used a sub outdoors other than in my boat. The "thump" is around 60hz, right? That is where I want the most oomph.

Oh, 24x24x48 is a good size. It needs to be able to fit through a doorway, so a doorway is the max size WxH. Lets make the biggest boom that will fit through there. My SPL meter goes to 120hz and my home sub pegs it, so 140ish at 60hz would be a nice goal for new design. If this one sounds right, I will make another. I'm open to size and number of drivers also. $300 in drivers would be best for me, then I could make 2 enclosures.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
712 Posts
If you are going to be playing it in an outdoor venue and want a single sub to do all the work, you shouldn't bother for 30Hz and under. Since you'll play mainly dance and rap, this won't be an issue. Get as much output between 40-60Hz as you can. Cross it over to your actives at 80Hz.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c /forum/post/18159587

Thanks for the responses! I'll try over at BF.com too, thanks.

I know it's taboo to say this to any audiophile ...but this one IS a boom box. Loud is my goal here with purpose to blow your socks off and thump in the chest. It's for parties. I'll keep reference sound in my vehicles and home and be picky there.

This would be more of a "loose" build for me. Meaning I want to build a tried and true design that someone already has experience with. I can build almost anything within reason and have patience to do it the right way, so I feel comfortable with difficult designs. I think that I should be able to find a suitable driver for under $300, the building materials are not included, but like I said, I don't have the need to spend double to gain a couple db. I WILL spend a couple hundred extra to get another 30db!! I don't think I need much below 30hz for outdoor parties, but I'm not sure. I have never used a sub outdoors other than in my boat. The "thump" is around 60hz, right? That is where I want the most oomph.

Oh, 24x24x48 is a good size. It needs to be able to fit through a doorway, so a doorway is the max size WxH. Lets make the biggest boom that will fit through there. My SPL meter goes to 120hz and my home sub pegs it, so 140ish at 60hz would be a nice goal for new design. If this one sounds right, I will make another. I'm open to size and number of drivers also. $300 in drivers would be best for me, then I could make 2 enclosures.

Thanks Guys!

As long as you highpass correctly, this is IMPORTANT (24dB/octave at 40Hz), build two T48s with the 3015LF and v-plate them to get more dBs for free....their response at 50-80Hz (thump region) will kick people all night long....it's an often used, proven design...you will need to EQ above 50Hz down some to get flat freq response, or run them without EQ for more BOOM, SLAM, POW!

Be aware that a 24dB/octave highpass begins attenuating at higher than 40Hz, depending on the highpass type (L-R vs Butterworth or other).

The two 3015LF's should run you ~$300, get them from Speakerhardware.com or someone similar....

ScreamersUSA's tapped horns require more expensive drivers, but I believe they do go lower than the T48, with a flatter freq response from the high 30's to around 100Hz....

JSS

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the link maxmercy. I will use the b2 to eliminate subsonic and the DCX for EQing (which also has a subsonic filter, not as low), which has the 3 major HPF options among others. I could build two of the Titans for under $500, with two drivers at $320.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.