AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a THX Ultra receiver to interface to an HTPC system. I came across few units that go for about the same price.

Denon AVR-4802

Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX

Kenwood VR-5700

HARMON KARDON AVR-8000

Could anybody share some pros and cons with any of these units? I also noticed that the Pioneer is an Ultra 2. What is the difference between an Ultra and an Ultra 2?

Thanks

Renato

·
Registered
152 Posts
You should hold out for one with the Ultra 2 designation. At least

that THX certification actually means the thing DOES something.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Is THX spec all you care about? There are several other features in each of those receivers (many of which are much more meaningful than THX Ultra -IMO).

The price range on your listed options is fairly significant too. It's just my opinion but I wouldn't put any Kenwood in the same class as a Denon, Elite or HK. Even their "good" stuff is decidedly cheap in my experience.

·
Registered
830 Posts
NAD T762.

Nice.

T.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Wait a little and get the Onkyo 989 Ver2. It will have THX Ultra II, DTS 24K/96, and it sounds great. Another good choice is the Pioneer Elite 49TX which can be had for around $2400.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of the units I have listed in my initial post are around $1700. I would

like to stay within this price range.

Renato

·
Registered
796 Posts
Renato,

I am about to pull the trigger as well. My fianlists are the 4802 and 47TX.

The Denon is well documented and may have the edge as far as amplifcation. The 47TX has MACC and Ultra 2. The remaining feature sets seem to be very similar.

Will you be doing any video swithching? Are your speakers efficient? I will be driving Divas and believe either will be sufficient to power them.

I will admit since I have not theard the H/K I cannot comment. Perhaps I should have auditioned it as well.

I agree the Kenwood is not in the same league as the others.

But as for the 4802 and the 47TX, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last week I received shipment of the Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX. I am using it with with the following speakers:

2 Polk RT-70

1 Polk CSI 400 (Center)

2 Polk RTi-38 (Surround)

2 Bose bookshelf (I am using these for Surround Back)

1 Cervin Wega 12" sub.

The whole system sounds GREAT.

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions.

Renato

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just bought the AVR-8000 a couple weeks ago.I think is the best reciever in the market at any price,unless you compare it with seperates like Lexicon MC12 or JBL Synthesis.It offers futures no other recievers have or will ever have that were incorporated from Lexicon's(another Harman Company)MC1 or MC12.I had a JBL Synthesis 2 complete system and the AVR-8000 is the only reciever that sounds as good or maybe even better.I dont have both systems next to each other to compare anymore but I can fairly say this reciever sounds as good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.