AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm a long-time reader, first-time poster on this forum. I've been conducting quite a bit of research on my first RPTV purchase, especially since of the cost involved.

I'm a 33YO computer-tech, and I've been a Home Theater buff for years.

In late 1999, I had my eye on the Pioneer SD-532HD which I saw at Best Buy for $3999. I waited for the price to drop and then later saw it replaced by the new SD-533HD5 which sells for a reasonable $2600-$3000. I've read about the improvements over the SD-532HD.

Still set on the Pioneer, I recently visited Best Buy again and could not help but notice how much better the 42" Toshiba 42H81 looked ($1900). It appeared to be much brighter and more crisp. Of course it was raised off the floor so standing in the showroom, my eyes were level with the Toshiba, whereas the Pioneer was on the floor, only looking good when I would kneel down. However, the Toshiba started me wondering. (I hate it when that happens!)

I am quite aware that the showroom displays have their brightness and contrast cranked-up and that the sharper picture on the 42" could be due simply on the fact that, well, it's a smaller screen.

I'd really like to compare apples to apples so I'm now looking at the Toshiba 57HX81 (also $2600-$3000) and the Pioneer SD-533HD. I'd like to get some feedback as to why one would prevail over the other feature-, quality- and performance-wise.

For example, I noticed that the Toshiba has a Wide 160° Horizontal Viewing Angle. What is the viewing angle on the Pioneer SD-533HD? Does one have a better line doubler?

I'm aiming for a true un-biased opinion based on research, homework, etc. that others have done like me.

I plan on getting DirecTV in the next few months and a Sony SAT-T60 "DirecTivo" receiver.

Lastly, I do not live in an area where I can most likely SEE the Toshiba 57HX81, so I'm just going to have to keep reading comments for those who own one and possibly take their word for it.

Dang, I hate buying blindly.

Thanks in advance to those who reply. BTW, this is the first non-Sony product I will have ever bought! (I'm just not impressed with their RPTV's.)

-- Dave

Pioneer SD-533HD:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...2,2355,00.html

Toshiba 57HX81
http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/57HX81.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had my heart set on the Toshiba 50HX81. I researched and viewed it at three stores. Only confirmed my gut to buy one. I even came upon the Sony 51HW40 and, while it looked to be nearly the same picture as the Toshiba, on paper and here in the forums, the Tosh has more points of convergence, the best line doubling cicuitry, and more for its price.

But then, I read all over the place about Ghosting and vertical lines on many postees Tosh H and HX RPs. It is DEFINITELY a problem. So much so that I am now deciding between the Sony and, what seems in the forums to be the darling of the RPs, a Pioneer (the SD-533HD5, to be precise). I really want to get the Tosh, but after what i've read, i think i'd be taking a big chance doing so. hope this helped.

(for the lowdown on Toshiba, look at this place, for example: http://www.***************.com/ubb/u...&f=21&t=002443 )

Good luck!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input, luckylindy. I too have read too many posts at home theater spot about the ghosting problems on the Tosh line. In fact I was just over there reading postings from various Tosh owners when I was informed by AVS about your reply.

I have decided to go with the Pioneer SD-533HD without a doubt. I should be purchasing one any day now. I will be going through OneCall because of the great service I have heard about. They matched the price of 800.com and Best Buy, but there's no sales tax and delivery is included. So at $3000 out-the-door, I can't complain.

Let me know what you end up doing!

And good luck to you too! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.