AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A current cable subscriber, I was all ready to sign up with DirecTV, primarily due to HDNET - just waiting for the Zenith STB. Now I'm having serious second thoughts.

I could go with Dish, although I'd probably still have a 9 month wait to get HDNET (though schedule will have filled out by then too)

OTOH, I could also go with DirecTV, and just get a cheaper STB.

What I don't want to do is wait for months to see how this plays out. What would you do?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Mike,

I am just one step ahead of you... I just had Direct TV installed last week for the same reasons you are and was going to purchase a STB to get HDTV. However, I'm not sure what to do now either. Sounds like there really isn't much of a reason to buy an expensive STB now. We may be better off buying the cheap one and live with whatever the short comings of the box until this settles out. I will be interested in reading the input of others on this forum.

By the way, you will love DTV one you have it installed. I have been very pleased so far.

Jorge

·
Registered
420 Posts
Mike

The original factors that made you go with DTV have not been invalidated by recent events. Nothing definite on the transition of HDNet to Dish subscribers. Going 9 months (presumably more) without it would be tough, for me anyway.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Why not have both systems? (I do...)

I have DISH for HBO/Showtime and I have a DTC-100 receiver which I use to get the DirecTV limited package for $7.99 a month in order to get HDNet.

Sure you end up with a dish farm but face it we're all nuts here anyway! ;)

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Don't worry about it. Charlie stated that ALL receivers would be replaced. Looks like they are looking at new technology to replace even the current DISH receivers. So enjoy what you can today and let DISH pick up the tab for your new receiver in a few years.:)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I heard Charlie say they would replace the receivers, but he never promised the same quality and quanity of the features that each of us currently have. I would imagine they will come up with some generic receiver that will fit the needs of the many. However, most of us on this forum will be more high tech than the rest of the users.

My guess is we will either have to accept their generic receiver or accept some type of credit towards our equipment. Realisticly, I would not expect Dish to shell out more than a few hundred dollars per subscriber. So if we invest $800 in an HD receiver and a few hundred on TiVo receiver, we will have to eat the difference on equipment that will be fairly new.

The only good news is all this may force prices down for those who have not purchased new equimpment yet. If 1,000 buyers were going to buy a $800 HD receiver before the end of the year. How many do you think will do it now? Sony and the like, may be stuck with a lot of receivers in the long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.