AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm ready to take the plunge but I'd like to get a little feedback from this board. I'm trying to decide between the Hitachi 50" LCD RPTV and the Panasonic of the same variety. I looked at both side-by-side in CC today and both looked very similar. One thing I do like about the Panny over the Hitachi is the number of component inputs. Are there any features of the Hitachi that people like a lot more than the Panasonic?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Some people like the blacks the Hitachi can produce better. However, by the same token, I have heard that the darker black levels can take away from the overall image. I too looked at them both side by side, but I decided to side with the Panny. Another big factor for me was the price. That Hitachi carries a pretty hefty price tag and I didn't really think the extra dough was worth it... especially since I got a real good deal on my Panny (now I just have to wait to pick it up...haha).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks to me like the black level of the Hitachi are a bit better than the Panny - but some who own the Hitachi say that those black levels come at a cost of losing a bit of contrast and detail. Another point that has been made in favor of the Hitachi is that it is easier to move from mode to mode with the Hitachi - while you have to cycle through ALL of the different ratios and modes (4:3, 16:9, stretch, zoom, etc...) on the Panasonic.

I chose the Panasonic - I got a GREAT deal on the set, and the black levels are OK for me....they actually only REALLY bother me when the set goes COMPLETELY blank (black)....and what the heck - there's nothing on the screen to watch when that happens anyway!

Remember, the new Sony RP LCD is also just getting ready to hit the market, which means that 1) you have another set to consider, and 2) you might be able to find the existing GWII LCD's (the ones being replaced by the new Sony GWIII's) at some attractive prices. You should probably try to get a look at those before making your decision as well. At the end of the day, each of these sets are among the best price/value options out there in HDTV - particulary if you (like me) don't want a HUGE CRT projector in your family room. Good luck!

·
Registered
538 Posts
There are some new Hitachi LCD RPTVs coming out also.

imho, The Hitachi has better picture quality. My major complaint with it is that you can't get full resolution with a PC hooked up to it's DVI input. At least nobody has done it so far.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have had both sets in my house and they are both worthy tvs. I would probably choose whichever one I could get faster and cheaper. Unless, you have a thing about black levels then you might want to go Hit. If you have a thing about perfect computer connectivity then go Panny.

The Hit might be a slightly stronger build and it has a better internal sound system. The Panny for me anyway did better in the stretch modes.

There are some more in depth comparisons in the Hitachi threads and you can check them out. I would just suggest you go take a look and see which one floats your boat more. If you have another 700 to 1000 you might want to check out the Sony Wegas and DLPs.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bebopdeluxe
Looks to me like the black level of the Hitachi are a bit better than the Panny - but some who own the Hitachi say that those black levels come at a cost of losing a bit of contrast and detail. Another point that has been made in favor of the Hitachi is that it is easier to move from mode to mode with the Hitachi - while you have to cycle through ALL of the different ratios and modes (4:3, 16:9, stretch, zoom, etc...) on the Panasonic.
The black performance of the Hitachi is outstanding in a completely darkened room. IMO, most of the detail that is lost with black enhancement is regained when there is little or no ambient light.

You also have to cycle through all of the aspect modes on the Hitachi, one by one. What you are referring to, I think, is the fact that on the Hitachi, you can jump to any of the inputs with a single button push (there are individual buttons for each input on the remote). On the Panny, you must cycle through them to get to the input you want.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nickeleye
... Another big factor for me was the price. That Hitachi carries a pretty hefty price tag and I didn't really think the extra dough was worth it... especially since I got a real good deal on my Panny (now I just have to wait to pick it up...haha).
It's pretty easy to narrow the price gap down to a couple hundred or less. In fact, I paid less for my Hitachi than a lot of people paid for their Panny's. ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the help! Speaking of the Sony, the new 42" LCD tv was at Circuit City yesterday while I was looking at the Hitachi and Panasonic but I didn't really look at it since it's not the size I want. The salesperson said that they just received it yesterday and that the larger models should be arriving soon.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hounsfield
It's pretty easy to narrow the price gap down to a couple hundred or less. In fact, I paid less for my Hitachi than a lot of people paid for their Panny's. ;)
This may be true, but I doubt you can get the Hitachi down to about $22xx.00 or less.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think that I would hold out for the Sony. If they have achieved the better black level that they claim then IMO it would be worth auditioning.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nickeleye
This may be true, but I doubt you can get the Hitachi down to about $22xx.00 or less.
Agreed, that would be a feat, but assuming your xx to be 00, I paid just $250 over. Some would have you believe the Hitachi is $500-$1000 more than the Panny, but this just isn't true. All it takes is a little homework! :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bebopdeluxe
Another point that has been made in favor of the Hitachi is that it is easier to move from mode to mode with the Hitachi - while you have to cycle through ALL of the different ratios and modes (4:3, 16:9, stretch, zoom, etc...) on the Panasonic.

I chose the Panasonic - I got a GREAT deal on the set, and the black levels are OK for me....they actually only REALLY bother me when the set goes COMPLETELY blank (black)....and what the heck - there's nothing on the screen to watch when that happens anyway!
I just got one (panny) and I feel pretty much the same way.

I have noticed though that the blank black screen isn't meant to be a black as can be black. Hopefully you can see what i'm getting at. Blacks produced in images are blacker than that blank screen.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I have the Hitachi and think it is great. I thnk both sets are nice so just choose the one you like better.

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.