AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered that neither my new Denon 3803 receiver nor Denon DVD1600 DVD player includes any fiber optic cable interconnects. I'm new to using TOSLINK type cables. What are the best value cables to purchase. Seems that the $5.00 version should work as good as the $50+ cables that some companies are selling since its pure digital.

Thanks for your input

Bartstar

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I would buy the cheap one... In fact, I do... PartsExpress, an AVS Forum sponsor, for example, offers nice, inexpensive TOSlink cables.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I may be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm too far off the mark.

I believe that when it come to *optical* digital cables you are wll advised to spend the money and get a decent glass cable as opposed to a cheap plastic one. Although it is digital and one would think if it works it works, that may hold truer for coaxial digital cables but TOSLINK seem to suffer from "Jitter" and it is more pronounced with a cheap plastic cable.

Just try a search for "Jitter + Toslink" and you should find something. Whether or not i could hear a difference, I dunno. But you know how us "Audiophiles" obsess over details...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by babaji
I may be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm too far off the mark.

I believe that when it come to *optical* digital cables you are wll advised to spend the money and get a decent glass cable as opposed to a cheap plastic one. Although it is digital and one would think if it works it works, that may hold truer for coaxial digital cables but TOSLINK seem to suffer from "Jitter" and it is more pronounced with a cheap plastic cable.

Just try a search for "Jitter + Toslink" and you should find something. Whether or not i could hear a difference, I dunno. But you know how us "Audiophiles" obsess over details...
"Jitter" is not more pronounced with a plastic fiber.

For the maximum allowed distance according to TOSLINK standard, a fiber type would make no difference.

Hope it helps,

Kirill

·
Registered
333 Posts
Although a "cheap" one may pass the 1s and 0s properly think about spending A LITTLE (not a lot) more money for something well constucted. Not for the sound but becuse bending and breaking etc is bad. Staying in one piece is good.

AR Radio shack etc kinda stuff is reasonably solid but doesn't cost andarm and a leg (as does parts express etc but Canadians get better deals buying in store vs online most of the time)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I bought an inexpensive glass toslink off ebay. They are there regularly at a great price. I prefer coax but I use it to connect my sat receiver to my processor. Glass is not a conductor so I avoid any worry about surges from the antenna killing my system.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.