AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Room is about 12x10 and pretty much a square shape. Have my LCD mounted on the wall and all my equipment run in the closet. Couch sits about 8' from the tv.

I have an Onkyo 606 receiver and looking for the surround sound now. Id really like to get a set of nice towers. But not sure what would be best considering my circumstances (size of room, price range, previous equipment, etc)

I have seen the refurbished Polk RTi A7 go for around $600 or so on ebay. Obviously the cheaper the better, but I dont want junk. Currently I am in market for the 2 towers only. Then will eventually get the center and 2 rears (probably ceiling for the rears). The main purpose for this room and these speakers is for movies, but will also be my reading room where I will listen to music.

Id like to buy (used is ok if I can find them) 2 towers for under $1000. Keep in mind, im pretty new to this and looking for any ideas/suggestions you are willing to give. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
What kind of sound do you like? Obviously in this game, one person's junk is another's treasure!

Have you heard brands like JBL, Klipsch, Definitive Technology, B&W, Paradigm, etc. in person before? If so, which did you hate? Your taste in speakers can help narrow down the brands that you may want to seek out.

Are you concerned about the kind of wood veneers you can get, or do you just want flat black, or piano black speakers?

Can you bring the speakers a foot more more into the room, or are you going to jam them against the wall.

Can you bring your couch away from the wall a couple of feet? If so, this will clean up the bass quite a bit and allow for better surround sound implementation when you get there eventually.

BTW, your question "which speakers for

Good luck and have fun!

Edit: Also, it seems you already have a thread! There is no need to post multiple times

Edit2: BTW, when you look at prices, make sure you realize that many times, the price listed is for only 1 of the speakers in the pair. For example 750$ B&W 683 is for a single speaker only.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, ill be honest. I dont think I have a taste in speakers. Im so new, I dont really know the difference. I imagine that I would just like something that is nice clarity but with deep bass...

The only speakers I have heard in person are the BW 683. They sounded pretty awesome, but little more than I wanted to pay at $750 each.

To answer some of your questions... yes, the towers will probably sit pretty close to the wall. Might be able to pull them out a tad, around 6" or so of gap...

The couch really cannot be moved out from the wall much though.

sorry for the double post, but wanted to start fresh to see if I can get some better replies

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh one more thing. I would actually like a wood vs. black if possible. But that is not a must

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Here's a few..

Monitor Audio RS6

AV123 (Onix) Rocket 450 w/ risers

AV123 (Onix) X-Statiks

AV123 (Onix) X-SLS

Energy RC-30

Energy RC-50

Aperion 5T

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
(Just regarding the av123 ones listed)

The rockets and X-statics are kinda deep, so if you don't have much space for them to come out in the room X-SLS encore is shallower. It still has a port in the back though so you can't push it right up against the wall, I'd say 6" is about the minimum distance. Rosewood is gorgeous though so it might be worth squeezing the rockets in there

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00bolt /forum/post/14314470

oh one more thing. I would actually like a wood vs. black if possible. But that is not a must

Do you have a Magnolia/Best Buy near you?

If so, please go and listen to the martin Logan, Definitive Tech, Klipsch, Vienna Acoustics, JBL speakers they have there. You are bound to hate at least one of them. If you can provide us with which one you just didn't like, it can help us to focus our recommendations to a certain group of speakers.

Everyone starts off as a "noob". The best way to "educate" yourself is to listen to some speakers to get a hang of their differences that they offer.

If you heard the B&W, does that mean you have a dealer near you? If so, I am sure he has other speakers on tap. While speakers sound different in different rooms, it is a good habit to cross compare different brands side by side so that you can do a "pros and cons" between the speakers.

Some speakers, you may not be able to tell much of a difference because the differences lie in areas where your music may not bring out, however, after 3 or more speakers, you will definitely start to hear differences that you may or may not like.

Listening to 5 or more brands of speakers is the FIRST step to you becoming much much better informed and will help you immensely on your quest.

Please keep us posted!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts