AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a member over at the Ultimate TV forum and now made the jump to Windows Media Center Edition.

The new PC arrived last week but during the set-up it say's "Unable to Detect TV Signal". I'm on the phone with Dell Tech Support but after they confirm the wiring connections are good, they are stumped. I get passed from one tech to another, eventually getting a Level 3 MCE Tech. (Incidentally, this has been my life the past WEEK ! :mad: ) He believes the problem is that the TV Tuner card in the new Dell is mostly likely unable to read the HDTV signal from the DirecTV Satellite receiver (which is an RCA brand DTC-100 HDTV receiver).

One of the earlier Techs recommended this, and swore it would work:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...=&refurbished=

Then, the Level 3 MCE Tech recommended this:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...&page=external

Now, I have absolutely no idea if this is a simple matter or not. If so, please forgive my limited knowledge, but this has just about killed me.

So, I left the Ultimate TV forum, in search of any advice here..... which would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
One thing you didn't mention is do you have any kind of tuner card now? I am assuming you do, wouldn't think Dell would put out an MCE system without one.

You are not going to be able to record HD from the DTC100, its that simple. You will have to use the s-video output into the analog tuner that came with the MCE computer if you want to record satellite programming, and it will be at 480i resolution. What MCE can do if you get it all set up right and have a remote and blaster, is control the DTC100 to change channels. I happen to have had a DTC100, so there is a switch to toggle between HD output on VGA to the S-Video output, and HD won't display to your TV while you are on the s-video output.

The 2nd card he recommended will record HD over the air, in other words broadcast stations. You will still have to use the existing analog card too, that's an MCE requirement.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_burl
One thing you didn't mention is do you have any kind of tuner card now? I am assuming you do, wouldn't think Dell would put out an MCE system without one.

You are not going to be able to record HD from the DTC100, its that simple. You will have to use the s-video output into the analog tuner that came with the MCE computer if you want to record satellite programming, and it will be at 480i resolution. What MCE can do if you get it all set up right and have a remote and blaster, is control the DTC100 to change channels. I happen to have had a DTC100, so there is a switch to toggle between HD output on VGA to the S-Video output, and HD won't display to your TV while you are on the s-video output.

The 2nd card he recommended will record HD over the air, in other words broadcast stations. You will still have to use the existing analog card too, that's an MCE requirement.
Hi,

So using the second HD tuner card, how is that connected to record over the air HD content with this setup? That is, is the outside antenna disconnected from the DTC100 and reconnected to the HD tuner card, or is it somehow connected to the DTC100?

Is the existing analog tuner card needed to control programming guides and timeshifting within Windows Media Center?

Thanks.

Larry

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you are correct. I did not mention the type of Video Card that came with the MCE. It was the best of the 3 options they offer, which said:
256MB PCI Expressâ„¢ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory

Okay. I got your point about not being able to record HD from the DTC100. Understood. However, I don't subscribe to any HD channels, therefore I don't view any (other than 2 or 3 local news channels (CBS, NBC) that DirecTV gives you (I guess to see what HD looks like). So, I don't view HD.

However, I need to use the DTC-100 in HD mode (using the VGA cable) because this makes the picture much cleared than using an S-Video cable. The DTC-100 receiver in HD mode really sharpens the clarity on my 61" Proscan Projection TV. Without HD mode, quality is not that good.

Any thoughts or recommendations ? Because I really don't know what to do.

Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin
Hi,

So using the second HD tuner card, how is that connected to record over the air HD content with this setup? That is, is the outside antenna disconnected from the DTC100 and reconnected to the HD tuner card, or is it somehow connected to the DTC100?

Is the existing analog tuner card needed to control programming guides and timeshifting within Windows Media Center?

Thanks.

Larry
You would have to split the OTA antenna to run to the HD Tuner card in the MCE box. It is not really associated with the DTC100.

The first tuner card is just a requirement of MCE. There is a way around it with hacked ATI drivers, take a look at the sticky MCE topic at the top. It is only needed during the initial install, it could be removed after that, but is needed any time after that if you want to redo the TV setup.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flt7151
Yes, you are correct. I did not mention the type of Video Card that came with the MCE. It was the best of the 3 options they offer, which said:
256MB PCI Expressâ„¢ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory

Okay. I got your point about not being able to record HD from the DTC100. Understood. However, I don't subscribe to any HD channels, therefore I don't view any (other than 2 or 3 local news channels (CBS, NBC) that DirecTV gives you (I guess to see what HD looks like). So, I don't view HD.

However, I need to use the DTC-100 in HD mode (using the VGA cable) because this makes the picture much cleared than using an S-Video cable. The DTC-100 receiver in HD mode really sharpens the clarity on my 61" Proscan Projection TV. Without HD mode, quality is not that good.

Any thoughts or recommendations ? Because I really don't know what to do.

Thanks
Well, that is your main video card, what I was asking about is a TV Tuner card, usually there is one analog tuner card in an MCE box. That would be all you need to record off the DTC100, the 2nd HD card I mentioned would be extra, for recording OTA broadcast HD.

As far as the DTC100, if you want to capture analog svideo off the DTC100, the DTC100 will have to be in the nonHD mode at that time, I can't honestly remember, but I believe MCE can toggle that switch for you when it is ready to record.

You could possibly look at getting a 2nd SD DirecTV receiver just for recording.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.