AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at two RPTV's both the same size, and around the same price, but i'm not sure which is a better choice. i sit 12 feet away. don't have HD cable, standard def cable at the moment, prob will get OTA...so which gets the upperhand here?

1. Toshiba 56 inch

2. Samsung 56 inch

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, man i wish it had QAM though, it would've made my life a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i went to Best Buy today, they for some reason carry the 56 inch samsung w/o 1080p online, but not in stores..? the sales rep told me that they don't even carry them at all. they had the 50 inch version, but i was really looking for a bigger tv. so i went ahead and bout the 56 inch toshiba. he also coaxed us into buying HD cable. Can't wait till it all gets in, my previous tv was a 15 year old 27 inch Toshiba. hahah. NFL playoffs in HD....it sounds oh so sweet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you are comparing the Samsung 720p and the Toshiba 720p in the 56" size, Consumer Reports rates the Toshiba much higher than the Samsung.

If it matters to you, both Toshibas have a QAM tuner and are cable card ready. The toshibas beat out the Samsung 5686 in HD picture quality, SD picture quality, DVD picture quality, and ease of remote. The Samsung beat the Toshibas in sound quality.

I recently purchased the Toshiba 56hmx96. I like it, I do not like the company I bought it from. Here are CR rankings.
Brand
Ranking

Toshiba 62HM196

Toshiba 56HMX96

Toshiba 56HM66

Samsung HL-S5687W
Samsung HL-S5087W
Samsung HL-S5679W
JVC HD-56G787
Mitsubishi WD-57731
Samsung HL-S5686W

Sony Grand Wega KDF-55E2000
Sony Grand Wega KDF-50E2000
Panasonic PT-56LCX66

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome!!!! Wow that makes me feel 10x better, i started having doubts because i know samsung leads the way in DLP's in a way. man thanks again, that's awesome, but one really weird thing i did see in store, was it was waaaay less bright than the other models on display, is this maybe just that specific tv's bulb or is it well known?

·
Registered
JBL Original S-Series S26 x6, S-Center, Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Speakers & SVS 25-31 PCi Sub
682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns /forum/post/0

Awesome!!!! Wow that makes me feel 10x better, i started having doubts because i know samsung leads the way in DLP's in a way. man thanks again, that's awesome, ...

Toshiba 2006 models improves the overall PQ with better blacks and colors!

Having the QAM Tuner is a plus and let's me watch the football playoffs in glorious HD from my $14 a month Limited Basic Comcast cable!!!

Quote:
... but one really weird thing i did see in store, was it was waaaay less bright than the other models on display, is this maybe just that specific tv's bulb or is it well known?

Remember that all HDTV's out of the box video / picture settings is your basic Torch Mode so one might seem brighter than another.

But that doesn't matter since once you've Calibrated your Video (highly recommended using Digital Video Essentials DVD w/supplied BLUE Filter ), then you'll finally see what you paid for with spot-on Contrast, Brightness w/Accurate Colors & Tint, ... only possible with the BLUE filter & NTSC Color Test Screen!!!

Phil

·
Registered
16,257 Posts
I, for one, would not base a large screen purchase on a CR review! Both displays are excellent, but Samsung is the DLP technology leader (and has excellent customer support). You should go to the stores to see which PQ you prefer and which has the features you want.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did, but like i said, they only had the 56 inch samsung in 1080p, which was not what i was looking for. i wanted the 720p model. They had the Toshiba up against a JVC model, and it may be the light bulb, but the JVC had a much darker blue and a bit sharper pic, but as ya'll said, it all takes calibration, and trying what other people use as settings on this tv in the forums. overall, i cannot WAIT till this thing gets in, and HD cable........i'm so pumped

·
Registered
JBL Original S-Series S26 x6, S-Center, Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Speakers & SVS 25-31 PCi Sub
682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

I, for one, would not base a large screen purchase on a CR review! Both displays are excellent, but Samsung is the DLP technology leader (and has excellent customer support). You should go to the stores to see which PQ you prefer and which has the features you want.

FYI: From Home Theater Forum ...

Quote:
Arthur S 10-12-2006, 07:34 PM (partial quote ...

Consumer Reports has professional video engineers who are trained viewers. Gregg Loewen who is a Moderator on this forum did an ISF a while back for CR and was pretty impressed with the whole program. They test all sets under identical conditions, which doesn't happen anywhere else!

They use trained viewers. Testing just doesn't get much better than that.

Love my Toshiba!!!

Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just reviewed virtually the same two televisions. The 50" Samsung (HL-S5086W) and the Toshiba (HM-5066). In the store the Toshiba looked brighter until i played with the Sammy a bit. The biggest thing that i took into consideration is the Factory Warranty. The Toshiba only gives 90 days labor, where the Samsung gives 12 months. I ended up buying the Samsung based on overall ratings and technology. My question is this, is there anywhere i can find calibration codes for my Samsung. I'd obviously like professional tuning but can't afford it and wondered if Samsung had some user friendly tuning calibations to give me a better picture. If anyone has any input on this or knows of a forum i could get these answers i'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:
The Toshiba only gives 90 days labor, where the Samsung gives 12 months.

I just happened to be filling away the paperwork on my Toshiba 56hmx96 today. I'm not sure where you got your information but my warranty covers 1 year parts, 1 year labor, and 1 year on the bulb.

I remember when I was trying to decide between the Toshiba and that Samsung 5086w that I had come across something, maybe on this board, that gave me the mistaken idea that the warranty was 90 days on labor. I almost did not buy the Toshiba because of that. I'm glad I was able to found out the correct information because I ended up with a TV with more features and is rated 13 points above the 5086 by CR all for about the same price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On every retail website it states that the Toshiba Warranty is 12months parts 90 days labor. Im not saying anything against the TV personally I liked them both the same. Its probably just a misprint then. I truthfully dont think one is superior to the other. I have no need for a cable card so the few extra bells and whistles on the samsung were better for me. I'm still trying to find some more information on tuning the color and contrasts on a more advanced level.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just wanted to fill you guys in, i DID buy the 56 inch, then my dad said he wanted the new tv to fit into our entertainment center since it "went with the look of the room". so, the 56 inch could fit in with it's width, but that's when we take the doors, the racks for the dvd players, and etc apart to have a gaping hole, but it would be too tall, DANG! so we had to go and exchange for the 50 inch version. We still have to take the EC all apart for it to fit, but it will slide in like a baby's butt. and although BB told us HD cable with TW was 64.00 on both a receipt and an email, TW told us it's 78, we will have to fight with BB on that one.

·
Registered
16,257 Posts
Home Theater mag just reviewd six hdtv sets and placed them in this order

1st samsung hl-s6188

2nd jvc hd-61fn97

3rd toshiba 62mx 196 but does not accept native1080p on any input

4th sony kds r60xbr2

5th mits wd-65731

last olevia 565h

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nick,

congrats on the tv purchase. I am a sammy owner myself and LOVE it!!

ayway, there is a HUGE thread on the boards for the Sammy HLS's and they have what a member named Eliab recommends for his settings. You might want to search that thread alone. there is also a tech links for the sammy which was created by another reputable member. the links are below:

Tech links

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=697413

official Sammy thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=665890

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If anyone else is on the same fence, let me just say this, the tv is amazing. HD is beyond gorgeous, and it picked up ALL of my HD channels i'd have to pay over 100 dollars for (with the exception of espn's) via it's QAM. Great tv.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.