AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for a 34 inch hdtv. i was wondering which one of these 2 is better, the phillips 34PW8402 or the Toshiba 34HF84. i can get either one of these refurbished for a descent price. around 850 for the philliips and around 1000 for the toshiba with shipping included. also are refurbished tv's ok to purchase. i have also noticed walmart has a 34 inch panasonic. does anyone know if it is any good. I think it is priced at around 1050 for brand new. thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib4500
i am looking for a 34 inch hdtv. i was wondering which one of these 2 is better, the phillips 34PW8402 or the Toshiba 34HF84. i can get either one of these refurbished for a descent price. around 850 for the philliips and around 1000 for the toshiba with shipping included. also are refurbished tv's ok to purchase. i have also noticed walmart has a 34 inch panasonic. does anyone know if it is any good. I think it is priced at around 1050 for brand new. thanks for any comments.
Phillips are near the bottom of the Barrel in regards to HDTV CRTS.. The Panasonics are world class IMO.. But they don't support 720p (For those who care) & is an HDTV monitor, so you will need a external HD tuner to view over the air broadcast in HD.. The Toshiba 84 line is Toshibas best, & sad to say last CRT they made.. The 85 models are being outsourced to Orion..

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
If you look at the official Toshiba thread, there have been several complaints on input and glow issues in the 34HF85. I think the 34HF85 is off to a rough start.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I know philips definatly isn't on my wish list now, neighther is the 85 toshiba. Thanks for pointing that out. i also think i am going to stay away from the refurbished tv's. I see they only have a 90 day warrenty. I'm saving up my money to get one of these beasts. I am now looking mainly at panasonics new 34 inch and sony's cheaper 34 inch model. How do these sets compare to each other? I can get the panosonic at wal-mart for about 1050 and the sony at circuit city for 1300. I noticed sony also had a model for about 1800. though that is a little out of my price range. Thanks for any replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.