AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am stuck between the LG 32LD350 and Samsung LN32C350. They both are pretty much the same price and both have good reviews. This is more a less a budget TV for a bedroom.

The big things pointed are the sound on the samsung is terribly low apparently and the LG could die (but hey, everyone has lemons!).

I have had an lg for 2+ years so far with no complaints but I have never tried a samsung out. I know samsung used to be the best, but I don't know if that stands anymore.

Any suggestions would help greatly!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdown00 /forum/post/19549202

Hello, I am stuck between the LG 32LD350 and Samsung LN32C350. They both are pretty much the same price and both have good reviews. This is more a less a budget TV for a bedroom.

The big things pointed are the sound on the samsung is terribly low apparently and the LG could die (but hey, everyone has lemons!).

I have had an lg for 2+ years so far with no complaints but I have never tried a samsung out. I know samsung used to be the best, but I don't know if that stands anymore.

Any suggestions would help greatly!

Thanks everyone!

Of the two, I'd get the Samsung. I have two Samsungs and love them both. However, if it were me, I'd probably opt for a minimum of a Sony 32EX400, but it's your money, your choice, and your parents.

Editorial Comment: As someone who is approaching the "upper end" of "middle age," it frustrates me when people ask for ideas for TVs for their "older parents." I've always appreciated high-end products and will as long as I'm still vertical. Guess I don't understand why the age of the person matters.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19549421

Of the two, I'd get the Samsung. I have two Samsungs and love them both. However, if it were me, I'd probably opt for a minimum of a Sony 32EX400, but it's your money, your choice, and your parents.

Editorial Comment: As someone who is approaching the "upper end" of "middle age," it frustrates me when people ask for ideas for TVs for their "older parents." I've always appreciated high-end products and will as long as I'm still vertical. Guess I don't understand why the age of the person matters.

I suspect that when people say that, what it means is "they're not techy or they'd have bought their own and if they have trouble they're going to expect me to fix it, so what will give good, easy-to-operate service with minimal tweaking?"

. . . speaking of which [g] . . .

If an older parent had a Samsung LN40A530 that they love and which works great, and they needed another TV -- and the LN40A530 of course isn't available any longer -- is there a Samsung that's a current equivalent in quality as well as features, or would it now be better to look at a Sony or other brand?

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ /forum/post/19558276

I suspect that when people say that, what it means is "they're not techy or they'd have bought their own and if they have trouble they're going to expect me to fix it, so what will give good, easy-to-operate service with minimal tweaking?"

. . . speaking of which [g] . . .

If an older parent had a Samsung LN40A530 that they love and which works great, and they needed another TV -- and the LN40A530 of course isn't available any longer -- is there a Samsung that's a current equivalent in quality as well as features, or would it now be better to look at a Sony or other brand?

Samsung still makes the Samsung 530, except now it's the C530 instead of the A530. I'd also look long and hard at the Sony EX400, a very nice 60hz TV that would be comparable to the Samsung C550 or C530.

·
Registered
90 Posts
For an older person I would get the one with the simplest remote. Larger buttons, not too close together and the least likely layout to get them into trouble. Remember you will be getting call to trouble shoot the problems with "your" TV.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydorus /forum/post/19558452

For an older person I would get the one with the simplest remote. Larger buttons, not too close together and the least likely layout to get them into trouble. Remember you will be getting call to trouble shoot the problems with "your" TV.

You make me want to frickin' scream. Not all "older" people are stupid or blind!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19558511

Not all "older" people are stupid or blind!!!!

Amen to that -- though I do wish that manufacturers wouldn't move things around on the remotes -- at least for successive versions of the same item -- when there's no particular reason to do so. That even gives "older" people like me problems, not to mention my venerable ancestors. Universal remote is a solution, but really shouldn't be a *necessary* measure.

·
Registered
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdown00 /forum/post/19549202

Thanks everyone!

I think the issue for the OP was the sound and how low it is. He wants to make sure his parents can hear it.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim
Still hard for me to believe everyone over 70 is stupid, deaf and blind. How are they able to drive?
I don't believe anyone is implying the elderly are stupid, deaf and blind. In my experience I've noticed that a good deal of the elderly simply are not interested in all the specifics of modern-day technology. This of course means that they don't need the newest/best thing out there because they aren't going to care. They want something that provides a good picture along with decent audio.

This isn't a blanket statement as there are plenty of exceptions of course. I'm in the same boat as the OP, I'm looking at the LN32C350 for my mother-in-law as a new bedroom set for her. She is by no means elderly (50), but I know that she isn't going to care about the difference between 720p and 1080p. I know this because I know her, not because of her age - just to make that clear.

She currently watches tv in her bedroom on a 15 year old 19-inch CRT. I'm pretty sure she'll love anything we get her, but after reading a lot of reviews and seeing this thread I think we're going to go with the LN32C350.

Thank you for the calibration info as well!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts