AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got rid of Directv and am trying to get my computer setup to record local channels. I don't have any experience with TV Tuners so I am not sure exactly what to get. I would like a dual digital tuner so I can record 2 shows at once. I have looked around and tried to do some research but there seems to be a lot of recommendations floating around.

Some suggestions I picked up from the Guide made by Renethx were:

AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250, HDHomeRun.

Are these pretty much the definitive recommendations or are there better options out there?

Also are any of those 3 any better then the others?

Obviously the HDHomerun can network and seems to be a popular choice, but I dont have much in the way of need for networking although I dont mind paying the extra if its a better tuner.

I like the fact that the Avermedia seems to get good reviews, is cheap, and splits the signal for you. However, I want to make sure I get a good tuner to get good HD signal to record shows since I wont have any form of cable.

The hauppauge seems like a nice medium from a good brand and has a decent reputation from what I have seen, but I would have to split my signal from my antenna, I am guessing this can be accomplished by using a splitter? and would I loose signal strength by doing this. I also dont want to pay twice as much for the Hauppauge if it is no better of a tuner then the AverMedia.

I would like something with a low load on my computer since it is not a dedicated HTPC.

I am running Windows 7 and will use WMC unless I find a better option or dont like WMC.

It will only be used to record Digital since there are no cable channels to pick up where I am from.

Let me know if you need any more info about my setup.

Just confused by the different options and wasn't sure what to get. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
What do you mean that you wouldn't have to split the signal with the AverMedia but you would with the Hauppauge 2250? Both with split the tv signal internally to give you 2 tuners. The AverMedia only supports ClearQAM. The 2250 supports both ClearQAM and analog.

Check here to see what ClearQAM channels you can receive:

http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/channels

I have both the HDHR and the 2250 ( i needed one Analog tuner in the mix which is why I got the 2250)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/16988308

What do you mean that you wouldn't have to split the signal with the AverMedia but you would with the Hauppauge 2250? Both with split the tv signal internally to give you 2 tuners. The AverMedia only supports ClearQAM. The 2250 supports both ClearQAM and analog.

Check here to see what ClearQAM channels you can receive:

http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/channels

I have both the HDHR and the 2250 ( i needed one Analog tuner in the mix which is why I got the 2250)

I thought the Hauppauge had two inputs which make you need to inputs for both tunners where the Avermedia just had one and split it internally? So what is the second connection for?

Here is my list from the site.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/16988511

FM Tuner

Ah I see. I dont think I will get any ClearQam from what I am seeing here.

·
Registered
876 Posts
You should base your tuner purchase on your present and possible future needs. If at some time you intend to use either Satellite or Cable HD, then get the HD-PVR instead of the homerun. If you only anticipate cable QAM, then the either the AverMedia or the 2250 will be fine. If you ever need analog, then pick up a plain analog tuner which are bargain basement prices right now and it'll give you a third tuner at that point. I only record OTA and have accumulated 3 Avermedia Tuners (not the same as the one you're looking at) and have had very good results with them. Don't know what kind of software you're planning on using, but that also fits into your planning. The software that comes with either the Aver or 2250 is functional, but very basic. You can get a good deal on tuners and software from Snapstream Media (BeyondTV) if you're uisng XP. If you have Vista or wait for Windows 7, the Media Center is very good.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest /forum/post/16988825

You should base your tuner purchase on your present and possible future needs. If at some time you intend to use either Satellite or Cable HD, then get the HD-PVR instead of the homerun. If you only anticipate cable QAM, then the either the AverMedia or the 2250 will be fine. If you ever need analog, then pick up a plain analog tuner which are bargain basement prices right now and it'll give you a third tuner at that point. I only record OTA and have accumulated 3 Avermedia Tuners (not the same as the one you're looking at) and have had very good results with them. Don't know what kind of software you're planning on using, but that also fits into your planning. The software that comes with either the Aver or 2250 is functional, but very basic. You can get a good deal on tuners and software from Snapstream Media (BeyondTV) if you're uisng XP. If you have Vista or wait for Windows 7, the Media Center is very good.

Cable QAM is not currently supported where I live but I do plan on moving at some point in a couple years. I just got rid of my satellite but could always go back to it if I dont like the coverage I get with just digitl local channels, but it would just be Directv or Dish and hopefully wont be going that route for awhile.

I play on using Windows 7 media center unless I just dont like it in which case I will be browsing around trying to find something good.

It sounds like for my needs it is basically down to the Aver or 2250 unless I think I will go back to satelight again which I dont plan on for awhile. What would the benifits of having the HD-PVR be with satellight?

I have heard a lot of good things about the 2250. Is it definatly hands down much better than the AVer or are they close?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I've had the 2250 and currently own the Avermedia. The 2250 had signal breakup on CH5 (difficult in our area) while the Avermedia works much better. The Avermedia is much cheaper than the 2250 since you aren't having to pay for the analog tuners. Why buy the analog tuners if you are OTA only?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/16991022

I've had the 2250 and currently own the Avermedia. The 2250 had signal breakup on CH5 (difficult in our area) while the Avermedia works much better. The Avermedia is much cheaper than the 2250 since you aren't having to pay for the analog tuners. Why buy the analog tuners if you are OTA only?

This is definatly true. I dont mind paying the extra if it is a better tuner but, correct me if I am wrong, nothing uses anolog anymore. So if the only benifit is that it has anolog tuners and a FM tuner then I would rather save the money. If the digital tuners are better in the 2250 I would rather spend the extra 60 to get it.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okfireman /forum/post/16991201

This is definatly true. I dont mind paying the extra if it is a better tuner but, correct me if I am wrong, nothing uses anolog anymore. So if the only benifit is that it has anolog tuners and a FM tuner then I would rather save the money. If the digital tuners are better in the 2250 I would rather spend the extra 60 to get it.

I am not quite sure how the whole analog to digital thing went, but there are channels I still can only get using the analog tuner in the 2250 that I cannot get on the digital tuner (i.e. Disney, ESPN, etc...). This is the reason why I needed the 2250 in addition to the HDHR.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/16991302

I am not quite sure how the whole analog to digital thing went, but there are channels I still can only get using the analog tuner in the 2250 that I cannot get on the digital tuner (i.e. Disney, ESPN, etc...). This is the reason why I needed the 2250 in addition to the HDHR.

Are Disney and ESPN coming thru from your cable provider?

It looks like pretty much all the major networks are all digital in my area. It looks like there is some analog still available pretty far away.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...23c57cb9e3133c

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/16992680

Yes, I use Cablevision. They don't make these channels available through ClearQAM though so I need an analog tuner to pick up.

I see. Unfortunately there is no OTA cable provided where I live now. Will all analog eventually be phased out so no need to try and prepare for OTA analog channels if I move in a year or two?

·
Registered
876 Posts
The main reason anyone still uses an analog tuner is for cable where a lot of channels are still analog. Most of the OTA analog is either spanish language or religious stations that are low power, so if you aren't interested in these two areas and don't have cable, then analog is not necessary. Planning for anything electronic two years in advance is a crap shoot at best since things change so rapidly. I was all state-of-the-art at 7:00PM last night, this morning I'm second tier.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I use 2 Duets myself and they work fine in both 7MC and SageTV. The only thin different from my last HDTV card is that I can't seem to chose any different encoders in SageTV. But still they are great cards so far.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So is there no real benefit, as far as the digital tuners go, to get the Hauppuage? I know they are both great tuners and I dont need the extras provided by the Hauppuage. So it basically comes down to quality of tuner between the two.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okfireman /forum/post/16993712

So is there no real benefit, as far as the digital tuners go, to get the Hauppuage? I know they are both great tuners and I dont need the extras provided by the Hauppuage. So it basically comes down to quality of tuner between the two.

If you just need the digital (don't care about analog) I see no reason to spend the extra $$$ for the hauppauge 2250.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I currently own the 2250 and love it. I can't say it's dual tuners are better than the Avermedia's, but I can say it has the option for 2 A/V inputs which allow you to record from STBs or other devices in the future. If that's not something you really care about, then perhaps you could save the money.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.