AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all talk constantly about the Processors in our LCDs and Plasmas -- then run off trying to find the best AVR to surpass them. I have yet to find any Test Reports proving that AVRs surpass the built-in Processors of all sets.

Do any lists exist identifying which Video Processors are used in the most popular sets? LCD or Plasma?

Do any HDTV sets include the Silicon Optix HQV?

Or Faroudja?

A quick search on Google, and I came up with this...
http://www.reuters.com/article/press...008+BW20080107

Of all things -- Vizio? And Olevia? What's up wi' dat? Do none of the other manufacturers believe in these chips we all love to chase with big dollars in add-on peripherals?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Contact the manufacturer and ask them. Works for me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm surprised this doesn't seem to interest anyone. The HQV chip is promoted as the be-all and end-all of video processors, but no one cares what's in their set?

Then you read reviews on Receivers such as the Onkyo TX-SR875 (latest one is in Widescreen Review) and they say the HQV Reon in that unit didn't do a very good job until their latest firmware update.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Owen /forum/post/13025878

I'm surprised this doesn't seem to interest anyone. The HQV chip is promoted as the be-all and end-all of video processors, but no one cares what's in their set?

Then you read reviews on Receivers such as the Onkyo TX-SR875 (latest one is in Widescreen Review) and they say the HQV Reon in that unit didn't do a very good job until their latest firmware update.

It's not as easy a question to answer as you may think - it's something that's often not advertised unless like the HQV which is an add-on. It doesn't mean it's any better than the an OEM build. Keep in mind their are only a handful of true panel builders and different sizes are contracted out to different manufacturers from the same company. Because you see a panel badged as Panasonic doesn't mean it's truly a Panny - each size can be from a different supplier since they do not build LCD substrates. This same scenario could run it's course on every size and vendor.

BTW I have the HQV in my Samsung Blu-Ray and I'm not impressed at all, my HD DVD without it upconverts standard DVD's just as good. My Sharp 57" also does SD better than any other plasma, LCDor RPTV I've owned and Sharp will tell you it's their Chip whether they contracted out for it or not and their are Trade Secrets that they may not want known unless it becomes a marketing value.

I do know for a fact that Sharp just signed a contract to be a primary supplier of larger substrates to Toshiba in trade for their miniature semi conductors needed for their next gen Thin Form Factor Panels but they aren't likely to advertise the processing as Toshiba just as Tosh isn't going to publicize they are rebuilding Sharp glass. Sharp is simply not going to market their competitions Processor unless it's to their advantage to do so.

Even if you called up Sharp and asked some BOZO CSR they usually do not know the spec's inside the TV and who the suppliers are and most companies are not going to tell you unless they are using the VP to market the TV which Olevia needs to do as they are rebadged panels anyways since they and most the others like Vizio don't truly manufacture LCD's they Assemble them from others components. We used to have a Sharp insider for several years sharing with us but Sharp made him stop sharing and even though he left Sharp since he most likely is bound by their their contracts restricting sharing even a few years after leaving.

Good Luck finding out but often they won't tell or they have so many lines and varieties they may not know and your certainly not going to understand the strength of one over the other unless your an insider and those companies as an Engineer and usually they cannot tell you either under Trade Secret agreements they are bound to even after they leave the company.

Micronas is the most talked about last year and they demo impressive results but figuring out who carries their chip is a tough one. Good Luck finding out.

·
Registered
221 Posts
JVC's always brag about their 32bit Genessa Processor. But I can't even find a website for Genessa...don't know if JVC makes it or what.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermaniac /forum/post/13027480

olevia 747i has the hqv chip ......................Very nice set

So does the 742i which is nice but I am damned with only having the available room of 40.5" in my entertainment center or I would take this in a heartbeat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts