AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im looking at going with 2 subwoofers. I have been leaning towards the PB-16 ultras based on look, another opinion, and what i heard at best buy. Not concerned about price more quality. Let me know your thoughts.
Thank you
Jake

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
More information would be a big help.

- room size
- listening habits
- what kind of mains
- how much music you listen too or just movies?

Just to name a few.

A pair of PB16's will perform very well to a point. If room size is large getting into 18" subs will be a step up, just depends on your goals.

Reactions: eljaycanuck

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
think avs did a review on them somewhere...plus a huge thread. only negative is probably value so if price ok go for it

Reactions: jakethomas

·
Premium Member
10,880 Posts
jakethomas said:
Im looking at going with 2 subwoofers. ... Not concerned about price more quality. Let me know your thoughts. ...
JTR Captivator 4000ULF:
- 2 x 18" drivers
- 4000W (RMS/continuous) amp
- 10.5-125Hz +/-3dB

:cool:

(Oh, and also what indebtbassfreak said. :))

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry let me add this info. The room size is 18x23. Mainly we will use it for movies and tv series. No music. Its a dedicated theater room. Center channel is a ML 60xt. Sides are in wall speakers. I took them apart but no name.(came with the house) Just says IR near the tweeter. Thought might be inferred but its not.
I have seen a lot of talk about the JTR. I wish i had a dealer near me that sold those
TY

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Sorry let me add this info. The room size is 18x23. Mainly we will use it for movies and tv series. No music. Its a dedicated theater room. Center channel is a ML 60xt. Sides are in wall speakers. I took them apart but no name.(came with the house) Just says IR near the tweeter. Thought might be inferred but its not.
I have seen a lot of talk about the JTR. I wish i had a dealer near me that sold those
TY
The SVS are great subs but think you can get more performance per dollar going with some of the other well known ID brands such as Rythmik, PSA, JTR. For movies I would stay ported and look at Rythmik FV18/FV25s, JTR Cap 2400, PSA V3601 and of course duals not singles.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
TY
We have center and side speakers,,, what about the front L/R mains? If it turns out your main's are also no name in wall speakers (and IF they dont perform that well) you may want subs that perform very well up to 100/120Hz to assist the week mains with mid bass. The PB16's are known for deep extension, but have been criticized for been weaker in the upper bass compared to other brands.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have center and side speakers,,, what about the front L/R mains? If it turns out your main's are also no name in wall speakers (and IF they dont perform that well) you may want subs that perform very well up to 100/120Hz to assist the week mains with mid bass. The PB16's are known for deep extension, but have been criticized for been weaker in the upper bass compared to other brands.
Front L/R mains? Im running a 5.1 system currently.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
In your price range look at Seaton Sound (Mark), JTR (Jeff), and Rythmik (Brian and Enrico). Call all three companies for their pitch; you won't go wrong with any recommendation you get from these three companies.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Im looking at going with 2 subwoofers. I have been leaning towards the PB-16 ultras based on look, another opinion, and what i heard at best buy. Not concerned about price more quality. Let me know your thoughts.
Thank you
Jake

The SVS PB-16 Ultras are nice, but JTR is in a league of their own. I bought four Cap 1400's because I have a very large space and I needed a sub that was articulate enough to blend with my Martin Logan speakers. Jeff can make them in any hardwood finish you like (mine are in teak).

If I had to do it all over again, I think the newer Cap 2400 ULF is much more extension for the same footprint. Unless you have the space for a Cap 4000 ULF or the DIY skills to build a Gjallarhorn, two Cap 2400's would do a nice job in that space of rearranging the fillings in your teeth!

·
Premium Member
10,880 Posts
jakethomas said:
I seen the 4000ULF have two woofers. Would you recommend 4 subs total or just the single box?
You're looking for duals. IMO:
- a pair of Cap 1400s would be a very satisfying solution for you in your 3,312* cu.ft. space; but
- a pair of Cap 4000ULF would be the "buy once and never wonder 'what if?'" solution.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
rears are the same as the fronts. I have a Denon AVR-X6300H receiver. I cranked on it pretty good and the wall & ceiling speakers took it and sound very good
Thats a nice avr 140WPC RMS. If your in walls are handling its power cleanly i'd say your ready for a pair of 18"s.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
TY

a lot of the brands recommended on this forum (JTR, Seaton, Rythmik, PSA, Funk, DSS) are internet direct and don’t have dealers.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Get a pair of PSA S7201, that will do the trick ;)

Reactions: jakethomas
1 - 20 of 41 Posts