AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I choose Bandpass/Bass Reflex because they seem to have a more natural sound, IMO. With their design, there's no need for a low pass filter. The Highs are filtered out naturally. But, some still do have a low pass filter. I gotta Band Pass passive subwoofer hooked up to my Pro Logic surround system and it sounds pretty good. Another advantage of band pass is that it'll hide any distortions the speakers might get.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Porteds sound ok too. But I have a $20 dollar Tube sub in my van and I hadda stuff a shirt in the hole and basically turned it into a sealed sub because certian notes didn't sound very good. Some were MUCH louder than others. My uncle has a 120 Watt Sony ported subwoofer and it really shakes. Sealed subs have a much tighter bass and they probably will sound natural too. Bandpass is basically sealed with a chamber over the top of it. I compared band pass to sealed at a car stereo store and my ears liked the band pass better. This poll is also in favor of home theater too.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My two favorite subs are:

Aerial (ported)

ACI Titan (sealed)

So I guess it is a matter of implementation!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Ported provides the best price/performance but only for DIY. Most ported speakers that are commercially built are tuned way too high. A properly designed ported speaker has the smoothness and extension of a sealed enclosure but with increased power handling and maximum output capability. My current subwoofer is a ported Adire Audio Shiva tuned at 21 Hz. They never sound boomy, they behave more like a sealed 15 woofer in a much larger cabinet. 106 dB at 22 Hz, 108 dB at 25 Hz, measured three feet away.

James

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a couple of Cyber Acoustic 2.1 speaker systems with a 4 inch subwoofer in a little box that's ported and it sounds really good. Also, my homemade subwoofer I made outta my desk with a 4 inch speaker is considered Ported too. It sounds very good too. I guess they all sound good as long as they are tuned right. The subwoofer in the living room is a bandpass and I'm happy with the sound it's got. So, my next home theater, REAL home theater, is gonna have a band pass. HEH. Maybe one of them boxes you get from the car stereo stores and a couple of 8 ohm 12inch subwoofers. Then I'd have to find a subwoofer amp that runs of AC. I'm sure I might be able to find one. But, I'm sure a system like that for a home theater would really shake during battle scenes and what have ya. :D

·
Registered
784 Posts
For tight, fast musical bass, my vote goes to sealed. I've got two 12" ACI Titans in my system. But they don't go really low for effects. That's why I'm going to build a really big ported sub, with infrasonic tuning, as my next HT project. WooHoo!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Bass reflex is ported. So is a passive radiator design.

Bandpass is something different that I would put at the bottom of the sound quality heap (by a margin larger than the difference over my entire list in the next paragraph).

Depending on implementation any of ported/ PR, sealed, IB or dipole can sound great or like crap. But done properly for sound quality the order I've listed is what I consider worst to best. Although done right the difference between ported/PR and sealed isn't great, nor is the lead by the other two.

·
Registered
404 Posts
my vmps large-a stereo sub, has a passive radiator,very musical and goes real low for ht -doesnt bottom out or strain on hard lfe tracks like lotr and black hawk down

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.