AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please refer to picture:

I need to run speaker wire under the carpet back to my rear speakers. What kind of speaker wire is best to use under carpet? I have a friend in the carpet business that said he'd help me pull back the edge of the carpet and lay it back down. Based on how my room is setup, I would need to run both wires along the same path along the edge to get to the back wall. Then one of the wires (the longer one) would run along the back wall to the other side. Since I have about 8 ft where the carpet meets tile, I guessed my best bet is to go under the carpet next to the tack strip. I want to avoid any bumps in the carpet. Do I need to use flat speaker wire for this application? If so, what are the cost and performance differences between flat and round speaker wire? Where are the best places to shop for speaker wire online?

In addition, I'm considering running a subwoofer cable under the carpet to get my sub in a corner. For this situation, unless I want to buy an extremely long cable, I pretty much need to cut across the middle of the carpet (as compared to running along the edge). I was thinking about using something like the cables found here: http://www.flatwiresolutions.com/html/audio.html . Would I be able to snake this cable under the carpet? Are there any other suggestions on how to do this or cable to use?

·
Registered
172 Posts
From the picture, it looks like those are windows by the couch. Is that correct? What kind of carpet do you have?

Try pushing a piece of coax cable under the baseboard on the sidewall. Does it go under baseboard?

If it does, I would try running a piece of rg6 and 1 4 conductor speaker wire along the perimeter of the room.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a window directly behind the couch. To the right is the opening leading into the kitchen. This is where there is approximately 8ft of carpet meeting tile. Without this section, I think I would just try to tuck the wire between the carpet and baseboard, as you suggest. But at this section, I think my only option is to go under. I'm not sure what kind of carpet I have. It's very typical, basic carpet (house is 2 years old). I could try to find out the exact carpet type if that helps.

Also, is performance affected by having one rear speaker wire longer than the other as I have pictured?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had almost the exact same problem but my room was reversed. I just pulled up the carpet around the edges and tucked the wire under the molding. Having different distances will not affect performance. I just used regular speaker wire. Also, where you have to cross the opening to the kitchen, I "fished" the wire under the carpet along the tack strip and it worked fine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi755 /forum/post/0

I just pulled up the carpet around the edges and tucked the wire under the molding.

Does this mean you just wedged the wire between the edge of the carpet and the wall, under the baseboard? You didn't actually lift the carpet off the tack strip did you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi755 /forum/post/0

Also, where you have to cross the opening to the kitchen, I "fished" the wire under the carpet along the tack strip and it worked fine.

So in this whole process you never pulled back the edge of the carpet, right? How did you fish the wire under the carpet and back out along the tile?

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy11 /forum/post/0

Does this mean you just wedged the wire between the edge of the carpet and the wall, under the baseboard? You didn't actually lift the carpet off the tack strip did you?

So in this whole process you never pulled back the edge of the carpet, right? How did you fish the wire under the carpet and back out along the tile?

Depends on the carpet thickness and how much room is under the baseboard.

Just make sure not to pull up to big of sections at a time. If you are unsure have your friend help you. He should be comfortable pulling up carpet.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAudio /forum/post/0

If it does, I would try running a piece of rg6 and 1 4 conductor speaker wire along the perimeter of the room.

I'm not familiar with "rg6" and "1 4 conductor". Could you elaborate a bit? I've just seen speaker wire designations like 12 guage, 14 guage, etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:

I'm not familiar with "rg6" and "1 4 conductor". Could you elaborate a bit? I've just seen speaker wire designations like 12 guage, 14 guage, etc.

RG6 is coaxial cable for your TV. Four conductor speaker wire means a cable with four wires in it. That way you only have to run one cable to reach your surrounds. Here's some four conductor flat speaker wire - http://www.21st-century-goods.com/page/21st/PROD/GKWIRE

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGElster /forum/post/0

Also, you might want to move your surround speakers. They should be to sides of the couch, higher than your head, and angled toward you for the best sound. Placement is everything.

Thanks for the tip. I drew this a while back. My first thought was to wall mount the speakers as shown in the picture. I've since decided to go with speaker stands in the back so I can position them more to the sides and equadistant from the sweet spot.

What are your thoughts on the sub placement. I used to hear that it didn't matter where you put a sub, but more recently I've heard it improves performance to put them in corners. The picture doesn't show it, but we actually have an entertainment center on the wall and there's not enough room to get the sub in the top right corner (right of the TV). I could easily place it to the left, but that wouldn't be a corner and there's not much wall height there. My other thought was to put it where pictured. But I'd have to run a sub cable to that spot. I could pick up a 40ft cable from BlueJeanCable for $43 and run the cable along the same path as the speaker wires. Do you think it's worth it to get the sub in that corner? I want to avoid any bumps in the carpet and would hope that it would not be noticeable to have 2 speaker wires and a sub cable running along the same path.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:

RG6 is coaxial cable for your TV. Four conductor speaker wire means a cable with four wires in it. That way you only have to run one cable to reach your surrounds. Here's some four conductor flat speaker wire - http://www.21st-century-goods.com/page/21st/PROD/GKWIRE

Since I have to run the rear speaker wires to 2 different points (each side of the back wall), is it an advantage to have only 1 cable with 4 wires in it? It seems like it would be easier to have 2 wires separate.......I'm probably missing something though.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I drew this a while back. My first thought was to wall mount the speakers as shown in the picture. I've since decided to go with speaker stands in the back so I can position them more to the sides and equadistant from the sweet spot.

What are your thoughts on the sub placement. I used to hear that it didn't matter where you put a sub, but more recently I've heard it improves performance to put them in corners. The picture doesn't show it, but we actually have an entertainment center on the wall and there's not enough room to get the sub in the top right corner (right of the TV). I could easily place it to the left, but that wouldn't be a corner and there's not much wall height there. My other thought was to put it where pictured. But I'd have to run a sub cable to that spot. I could pick up a 40ft cable from BlueJeanCable for $43 and run the cable along the same path as the speaker wires. Do you think it's worth it to get the sub in that corner? I want to avoid any bumps in the carpet and would hope that it would not be noticeable to have 2 speaker wires and a sub cable running along the same path.

The traditional method to sub placement is to put the sub where you seat (so on the couch) and then crawl around the room 'til you find the spot where it sounds best. This is a little silly as it's almost a certainity that it will sound the best (or at least the boomiest) if you place it in a corner (any corner) six inches from either wall.

It'll tighten the sound if you can isolate from the floor. Auralex sells a product called "the subdude" for $50 that does this or you could sit it on foam or insulation to achieve a similar effect.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:

Since I have to run the rear speaker wires to 2 different points (each side of the back wall), is it an advantage to have only 1 cable with 4 wires in it? It seems like it would be easier to have 2 wires separate.......I'm probably missing something though.

You're not missing anything. If it were me, I would just pull two separate cables.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:

You can do it either way. Sometimes it is easier to pull one wire then split it at the first speaker. Sometimes not.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:

The traditional method to sub placement is to put the sub where you seat (so on the couch) and then crawl around the room 'til you find the spot where it sounds best. This is a little silly as it's almost a certainity that it will sound the best (or at least the boomiest) if you place it in a corner (any corner) six inches from either wall.

It'll tighten the sound if you can isolate from the floor. Auralex sells a product called "the subdude" for $50 that does this or you could sit it on foam or insulation to achieve a similar effect.

So do you think it's worth it for me to wrap a sub cable around to the corner of the room (as pictured), or would you just put it to the left of the TV?

Also, I found sub cable and speaker wire on BlueJeansCable.com and am wondering if what I'm looking at would put a bulge in the carpet. I'm considering the "BJC Twelve White (5000UE) (White jacket, 12 AWG)" http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm for my speaker wire and the "Belden 1505F Subwoofer Cable" for the sub http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoofer/index.htm . Any thoughts on how discreet these would be under the edge of the carpet. I've never done anything like this before, so I'm a little unsure. Do I need to go with FlatWire? I'm hoping the above choices would work, since it would be much cheaper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.