AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for a UHD internal drive for a 4K HTPC? I haven't followed the latest in PC world for a while and isn't quite updated.

Planning to upgrade my HTPC and build it around the new 10th generation Intel CPU (i5-10400), which I assume has the needed hardware/software to play physical UHD discs.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Sounds like overkill.
A 7th gen i5 proc (or newer) of any speed will be ideal for a dedicated HTPC.
As would a regular old SSD for the OS and a 5400RPM drive for the storage.
Save your money for a hotrod video card. See this thread for more info:

·
Registered
23 Posts
If your using powerdvd for disc playback make sure that you use a mobo and cpu combo that has been proven to work with sgx and uhd disc playback. For disc rips you will need a special drive as well.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your using powerdvd for disc playback make sure that you use a mobo and cpu combo that has been proven to work with sgx and uhd disc playback. For disc rips you will need a special drive as well.
That's what I'm hoping the combination of the two product below will do (Intel socket LGA1200), but I haven't been able to confirm it yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looking at this thread might help a little. I think there is a running list of confirmed working mobos out there somewhere maybe non the blu-ray forums but I'm not sure. Also check cyberlinks site. Just so you know, cyberlinks switched to a subscription model where you need to update about every other year to get new disc decryption keys. PC requirement for reading UHD Bluray disc - Doom9's Forum

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Don't bother. Ripping is easy and the drives are common. There are only like 2 proper UHD drives on the market and they are hard to get and expensive. Whereas the drives compatible with MakeMKV are cheap and easy to get.

It's easier to use a standalone UHD player in the end that get and keep everything in working order. Cheaper too.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The LG WH16NS60 looks like the only option. It's not sold in Norway at all actually.

I'm not famillar with MakeMKV, but ripping temporaily to watch the movie is absolutely an option. On the other hand, saving something like $50-80 isn't important to me. Might as well get something I know will play UHD movies.

I hear your regarding a standalone UHD player, but since I'm presently not using a surround receiver/processor it makes this difficult. I'll like to give HTPC with processing in Jriver or something similar a chance before going that route. It's worked great with Blu-ray for years and now I've to upgrade the HTPC anyway due some damages after thunders.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see now that I have to rip the UHD to watch it with Jriver. My previous experience with PowerDVD was not good, I'll like to stay with Jriver.

Is MakeMKV the preferably software to rip UHD discs? I do already have AnyDVD by the way and I've used this to rip Blu-rays.

If I stick to ripping UHD discs, does it matter whether I choose Intel or AMD and which has the better GPU?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Does everyone rip the discs? I read of methods of playing the UDD directly from the blu-ray drive. I do not want to rip the discs.

·
Registered
12,632 Posts
They make such ridiculous requirements in order to play UHD discs on PC, it is much easier just rip it and play anyway you want.

On the other hand, use a stand-alone UHD player are both muh more convenient and cheaper than build PC, buy a UHD drive and pay $$ for a copy of PowerDVD.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Yes. UHD players can be had for around $200. The drive and PowerDVD will be about $200, and you'll have to keep getting updated versions of PowerDVD at $80 (upgrade price) every other year. Plus, the UHD player will handle HDR without much fussing.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Does everyone rip the discs? I read of methods of playing the UDD directly from the blu-ray drive. I do not want to rip the discs.
I have no issues playing directly from disc when using AnyDVD. caveat is finding the right file (usually easy) or a playlist if the movie is split between different m2ts files.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
On the other hand, use a stand-alone UHD player are both muh more convenient and cheaper than build PC, buy a UHD drive and pay $$ for a copy of PowerDVD.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Forget PowerDVD. You would be limited to a very small subset of motherboards, CPUs and GPUs that support SGX, locking yourself into Intel for one thing. You can play UHD discs in JRiver just fine with AnyDVD HD. You won't need to rip them first. It will decrypt them on the fly if you want to.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have no issues playing directly from disc when using AnyDVD. caveat is finding the right file (usually easy) or a playlist if the movie is split between different m2ts files.
JRiver supports Blu-ray discs menus, also. It doesn't work perfectly, but on many titles it does. For those discs, you don't need to worry about finding the right file.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts