AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother watches a ton of TV and would really get a lot of use out of a PVR. My brother and I were hoping to buy her one as a Mother's Day / Birthday gift. Unfortunately, we're not quite sure which unit to purchase. A 4000 series probably doesn't make much sense since she has neither a broadband connection nor a home network. Here is what we are deciding between:

1) Buying a Showstopper or RTV 30xx off eBay.

2) Waiting for the 4500's to come out (assuming they will support dial-up).

3) Buying a TIVo.

Since I own two 3060's and my brother owns two 4080's, we're more inclined to go with a ReplayTV solution. Unless, of course, a TIVo would be easier for my 60 year old mother to use. Personally, I don't think she would have a problem with any of the boxes, as she has always been quite adept at programming her VCR's.

Any advice from the experts on this forum would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mikek

You must have an extraordinary mom. I have a feeling you shouldn't buy her any PVR until you are sure she would want one and knows how to use it. -mk
Yes, she is quite extraordinary. We want to surprise her, but I'm sure she will love it. It's one of those things that she would never buy for herself or even realize that she wants. Once she has it, though, I'm certain she will soon wonder how she ever lived without it. The fact is, she records a lot of stuff. It's not uncommon for her to record two, even three things at once. Even with a PVR, she'll still have to use her VCR, but it will definitely simplify things for her. I just wish someone made a PVR (non-DBS) with multiple tuners.

·
Registered
712 Posts
You're a Replay family. You or your brother will be called when she can't do something she wants. Why would you go with Tivo? It would be like me buying my Dad a Mac. I'm sure it works as good as XP but when he calls for help, I'd like to sit and run through the keystrokes like I knew them like the back of my hand.

So the question to me would be 4500 or 3000?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Quote:
The fact is, she records a lot of stuff. It's not uncommon for her to record two, even three things at once.
Man am I majorly impressed. My 32-year-old wife can't even work a remote. Seriously. :(

·
Registered
448 Posts
Replayer... that's what you get for marrying a woman half your age (ducking)...

Gweempose: Personally, I'd say give one of your 3060's to Mom and use the opportunity to buy yourself a newer bigger faster toy. ;-)

That's what I did... Mom got my 2020 and I got a 3060. My mom's the type who's lucky she doesn't have to call tech support to make the toaster do its' thing, and she's taken to the Replay like a duck to water. I'm sure your mom will be thrilled.

·
Registered
617 Posts
my mother expressed an interest in a PVR to avoid missing her tennis. She asked my opinion and I told her about TIVO and Replay. She wanted to avoid the subscription and didn't want to pay too much. A DirecTIVO would have suited her, but she wanted a standalone unit. I talked her into a showstopper (if I could find an open box unit), mainly because I could techsupport it over the phone (I don't have a tivo). Luckily, I think I found the last one in Houston. After a bit of playing with it, she has figured it out and seems to be enjoying it.

I have now converted my brother, sister-in-law and mother. How's anyone elses record?:D :D

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TimSH

Personally, I'd say give one of your 3060's to Mom and use the opportunity to buy yourself a newer bigger faster toy.
My brother suggested the same thing. Unfortunately, my situation is not very conducive to hooking up one of the new units. I have a reasonably fast DSL connection, but it would be quite difficult for me to run Cat5 to my Replays. I guess a wireless solution is always an option, but it's expensive and has its own headaches.

Looks like I'm stuck with ancient technology for now. Oh well, I have no complaints. Both boxes have worked great since day one. It sure would be nice to have Commercial Advance® though.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gweempose
My mother watches a ton of TV and would really get a lot of use out of a PVR. My brother and I were hoping to buy her one as a Mother's Day / Birthday gift. Unfortunately, we're not quite sure which unit to purchase. A 4000 series probably doesn't make much sense since she has neither a broadband connection nor a home network. Here is what we are deciding between:

1) Buying a Showstopper or RTV 30xx off eBay.

2) Waiting for the 4500's to come out (assuming they will support dial-up).

3) Buying a TIVo.

I'm not sure what you should do, but my dad is 71 years old and he doesn't really like my Replay, but he loves his Tivo. From my point of view, the Tivo is easier for older people to understand.

The only problem is that if you don't have a Tivo it will be hard for you to tell her what is wrong when something doesn't record or try to explain to her how to setup a season pass.

If she doesn't live in the same location as you do, you might want to get her the same unit you have. If she lives down the street, get the Tivo.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I will tell you that my mom (who is 72) loves her TiVo. When I first brought it to my Parents' place my mom was upset, since when I add a piece of CE to their A/V system I usually end up spending just enough time to get it working for me (I always mean to come back and clean up the installation, but somehow I never have time) making watching TV more difficult. Within a week my dad had called to tell me how much they love their TiVo. A week later, my mom called to tell me how much she loved their TiVo. That was a big shock to me. She uses it by herself all the time and has even added season passes.

As things stand, I would suggest getting her a Series II TiVo and a lifetime subscription. You can get either the 40 hour AT&T box for $549 ($299 + $250) or get the 60 hour for $649 ($399 + $250).

She will probably be happy with which ever one you give her, but I know that a 70 year old can easily use a TiVo.

/carmi

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gweempose
...Looks like I'm stuck with ancient technology for now. Oh well, I have no complaints. Both boxes have worked great since day one. It sure would be nice to have Commercial Advance® though.
Well looks like you are in luck. The 4500's do have the dial-up so that's something to consider.

And as for just buying someone a TiVo... you should always let them try it out first. My Parents aren't that old but I tried to unload my TiVo on my dad and he just hated the thing. I thought... well ok if he won't program it then I'd set it up and leave it on the weather channel so he could always back it up and get the forecast without waiting around? Nope, but he wouldn't even go for that.

As soon as I get another SB unit I might give my parents "his" and "hers" upgraded 2020's... since they do like the channel guide and can operate it. Oh I know... I should give my parents the new ones! But they just aren't quite as "into" home theater. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.