AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I too am interested in the Marantz 8300, but none of the available info says anything about progressive scan. They can't be foolish enough to repeat the same mistake and not include progressive scan can they?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kain
Well? :)
Philips 962

·
Registered
404 Posts
Panny RP-72 and JVC 900. Neither, I'm all that excited about, but they're potentially the only ones to fit my needs. Then again, I may skip another round of DVD player releases:(

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
rp-72?

I am expecting Rp-82 and 62.. Did not hear anything about 72..

Quote:
Originally posted by El Pollo
Panny RP-72 and JVC 900. Neither, I'm all that excited about, but they're potentially the only ones to fit my needs. Then again, I may skip another round of DVD player releases:(

·
Registered
687 Posts
He may have meant the CP72 5-disc carousel changer, available in August.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
RP82 - unless Pany surprises us with an even higher numbered model offering this summer, like say RP9X (X being greater than "1"), that continues to use the Sage/Faroudja deinterlacer chip but offers even more than the RP82.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Does anyone know the expected price of the RP-82? I went looking for the RP-62 today and was told it would be available at the store June 14.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Last I heard, MSRP for the 82 will be $279 and the 62 will be $229.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sorry, my bad. I've gotten into the habit of writing RP-72 lately instead of CP-72. Anyway, I still haven't seen much preliminary information on this player except for what was in the Panasonic press release and the SMR site's coverage of CES.

-Han

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Philips 963SA, IF Philips finally decides not to excise the Sage section for Europe.

Regarding the Marantz 8300, it'll have progressive scan (in principle only for NTSC), according to areadvd.de.

Regards.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
The big unknown on the RP82 is whether what Panny is calling the "shrink/zoom" feature is indeed scaling as it's done on the RP91. That'll be the selling point for me.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Brajesh,

I'm with you 100% on the RP82's unknown aspect ratio adjustment capability - this could be the first player out there (with the possible exception of the Philips Q50) to combine no chroma upsampling design error and Faroudja deinterlacing and zooms.

The RP82 description at this site

http://www.nbtelectronics.com/images/RP82.jpg

lists a "Variable Zoom" separate, and distinct, from Progressive Scan aspect ratio adjustments.

I'm curious as to whether or not Variable Zoom means that while in progressive mode, you can actually tweak height and width dimensions through a bunch of different values as you please? Most likely far from what the Malata N996 offers using the Mediamatics chip, but at least a little ways down that path?

Of course whatever progressive zoom the RP82 offers, you doggone well better be able to turn any "zoom logo" off from showing on the screen while you are in a zoom mode. A non-removal zoom logo makes a zoom function worthless.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.