·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to choose between:

Philips DVP5960

Panny DVDS52S

Samsung DVD-HD860

FYI I have the Samsung HL-S6187W TV and I'm leaning a little towards the Panny due to the reviews I read and the super sweet deal I can get on it.

Any opinions/comments on any of these players would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
I just returned the Pan. S52 because I was very disappointed with it. I tried it with my HD1000 projector, and it looked worse than my 480p Philips Q50 with Faroudja. I'm saving my money for the real thing when they're cheaper.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just spent the few extra bucks and get a OPPO 970. All 3 units you listed have one thing in common "CHEAP". You will get what you pay for.

With respect, the build quality of all these units is comparable to the OPPO 970, as is the quality of the decoding electronics. OPPO has earned the cult status it has on this forum through its excellent customer service and attention to detail in software, and in most (not all!) situations one can expect somewhat higher PQ from the Oppo, but I think dismissing these other players this way is an exaggeration. - DR

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
A cheaper alternative might be the lg 418, refurb'd from ebay for about $85 shipped. it might show MB enhancement due to Fourdja processing though. (note that the oppo 970 is $120 plus shipping for refurb'd directly from oppo).

jeff

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Of the 3, I'd vote for Panny S52 as Philips is only noted for DivX and Samsung does not pass blacker than black via HDMI.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
If you call oppo on the phone they have refurbs that carry a full warranty for $119.00

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz /forum/post/0

If you call oppo on the phone they have refurbs that carry a full warranty for $119.00

Thanks everyone!! You can also buy it on-line HERE (fourth one down) , but $30 difference between the two and Oppo's unflattering description of their refurbs might not be worth the risk.

Quote:
Refurbished units are fully tested, inspected, and most of them look and perform practically like new. Warranty on the refurbished unit is the same (1-year labor, 1-year parts) as new units.

Decisions, decisions...........

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As I mentioned, I have a Samsung DLP. What I didn't mention was I don't really care about Divx or PAL, I don't plan on hooking up a home theater to the TV etc. All I really need is an upconverting DVD player that will have a PQ with my TV.

Does this change anyone's opinions??

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoolforwords /forum/post/0

How can you guarantee that? Do you work for Oppo??

He doesn't need to guarantee that. Oppo will take it back if you're not happy with it. The warranty for refurb and new is the same. I bought one and it is perfect.

Best,

jeff

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno /forum/post/0

He doesn't need to guarantee that. Oppo will take it back if you're not happy with it. The warranty for refurb and new is the same. I bought one and it is perfect.

Best,

jeff

Thanks! I figured, but didn't know if he could give me an Oppo discount.

Seriously, is the PQ for my meager needs THAT much better with the Oppo 970 than it is with the Panny or other players mentioned??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.