AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 11' by 11' room which I use as both home office and home theatre. My computer sends out audio to a $500 DAC and then to a pair of BX5a speakers, I have a 27'' monitor. I want to upgrade the audio but I am not sure which path I should take. My budget is $700-900, there is no space for 5.1 setup so I will limit my choices to 2.0/2.1.

1. Upgrade to Adam F7. I am fine without a subwoofer.

2. Upgrade to Paradigm Millenia CT, but then I won't be able to use the DAC anymore as I will feed digital signal from PC directly to the speakers.

3. Upgrade to Paradigm Soundtrack (is this still one of the best at $800 range? I have been looking at the YSP-2200 too.), again I won't be using DAC since it feeds digital signal directly from the PC.

I used to spend more time on music than movies, but recently it's almost all movies. Which setup would provide the best listening experience for me? Thanks!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Speakers are almost always a better price/performance value in overall SQ than soundbars. And if this is for sitting at your computer, then having separate speakers means you'll be able to angle/position them for better imaging/sound.

A subwoofer does help for movies.

Do you have a local Guitar Center? They have various studio monitors, including Adams. Worth giving a listen before you do further research/decision making.

How about passive speakers and a small t-amp ? They are not very big (check the measurements).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts