AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to the forum and new to camcorders and I want to get a camcorder that I can take into a treestand and get good HD video in low light. The 3 that I have been looking at are the Sony DCR-VX2000, Canon GL2 and the Sony HVR-HD1000.

I see the price point of these cameras in the used market and for the learning curve that I am sure to experience, something in this range of camera what I want at this time.

I lean towards the VX 2000 due to the manual control setup of this camera. I will be using a wireless mic, and will be in low light as I said.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Maybe you can tell us what you will be using a camcorder for? Instead of used, it would be better to get refurbished or even new.

You state you are a newbie - you may not be able to initially spot a problem with a used camcorder and end up having to pay for repair or junk it.

Those models you listed seem outdated. Newer, cheaper models can do the same thing with more advanced technology and an even better image.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to be using it to film hunts. I have looked at a number of cameras that are new and the price for what I want to do at this point is too high. Now, granted, in two to three years I will be done with whatever price point camera I get and be looking to upgrade. So, it might make more sense to go with as much camera as I can get my hands on but the budget wont allow it at this time and I dont mind learning my way through old technology to get where I might end up anyway.

So, here are the parameters I am looking for,

HD

Good low light performance

Intuitive controls that can be manipulated in the field under high stress conditions without alot of movement

Good battery life

Storage format that transfers easily

Secondary audio hookups that arent clumsy

Enough zoom to see a deer 40 yards away well

Large enough field of view so that when I pan out my face doesnt fill the frame from 3 feet away

500 to 600 bucks,,,,

I appreciate it XFWS

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanacal  /t/1421422/which-used-camcorder-for-newbie-help#post_22244470

I am going to be using it to film hunts. I have looked at a number of cameras that are new and the price for what I want to do at this point is too high. Now, granted, in two to three years I will be done with whatever price point camera I get and be looking to upgrade. So, it might make more sense to go with as much camera as I can get my hands on but the budget wont allow it at this time and I dont mind learning my way through old technology to get where I might end up anyway.

So, here are the parameters I am looking for,

HD

Good low light performance

Intuitive controls that can be manipulated in the field under high stress conditions without alot of movement

Good battery life

Storage format that transfers easily

Secondary audio hookups that arent clumsy

Enough zoom to see a deer 40 yards away well

Large enough field of view so that when I pan out my face doesnt fill the frame from 3 feet away

500 to 600 bucks,,,,

I appreciate it XFWS

The ideal scenario would be a wearable action cam - but they typically don't have optical zoom:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/189-0911021-6616816?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=action+cam

GoPro Camera HD HERO2 has a mic input:
http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-HD-HERO2-Motorsports-Model/dp/B005WY3TMA/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343146138&sr=1-14&keywords=action+cam

These actions cams are very small/in a good way. It is possible to later zoom in on a subject with editing software, but you will lose some resolution.

As far as actual camcorders, Panasonic HDC-SD90K would be good for sports due to it's 60 frames per second and excellent image stabilization:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HDC-SD90K-Compatible-Memory-Camcorder/dp/B004I43MJ0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1343145966&sr=8-6&keywords=panasonic+camcorder

Keep in mind that is a very small and light camcorder. It does have a mic input, but you have to attach a piece that comes with it to mount a mic on the shoe/if your mic is shoe-mountable. You can attach the mic without the piece, but would have to clip into onto something else. That also has a very easy-to-use touchscreen, but any camcorder you may have difficulty seeing the screen in bright sunlight without using a detachable LCD shade.

Most of the new camcorders, including the Panasonic use SDHC/SDXC memory cards. You need a decent computer to work with these AVCHD/.mts files; a quad core with at least 3gigs ram, at least a 256mb graphics card/512mb or 1gb preferable. If you don't have the minimum specs, you need to either upgrade or get a different computer. Don't buy an outdated camcorder to fit an older computer as you have to eventually upgrade, anyway.

If you purchased an action cam - the computer specs typically wouldn't need to be as high as the AVCHD camcorders.

And your first post listing the used, older camera models - not only don't get used, but miniDV tapes are dead/don't even bother. Plus you don't want to carry around a big, bulky camcorder for what you are doing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks XF,

The Go Pro type camera is not what I need.

I want to show you a hunt that a guy recorded of me on a mini dvd camcorder, it will give you an idea of the setup. There are usually two treestands and one shooter, then the camera has to do other duty such as interviews and other set up shots.

The SD 90K looks good to me and I think in this scenario it would do well.. anyway

This hunt was recorded horribly and the camera definitely shows its limitations as well as the quality of transfer. You will see all the things that need improvement and what I am going to do with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoae46z8eCM

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanacal  /t/1421422/which-used-camcorder-for-newbie-help#post_22246635

Thanks XF,

The Go Pro type camera is not what I need.

I want to show you a hunt that a guy recorded of me on a mini dvd camcorder, it will give you an idea of the setup. There are usually two treestands and one shooter, then the camera has to do other duty such as interviews and other set up shots.

The SD 90K looks good to me and I think in this scenario it would do well.. anyway

This hunt was recorded horribly and the camera definitely shows its limitations as well as the quality of transfer. You will see all the things that need improvement and what I am going to do with it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoae46z8eCM

It's a cool shooting style, but the newer, card-based HD camcorders would blow that image quality away.

I linked the SD90, that's actually last year's model. It's a good camcorder, but the newer Panasonics have better low light. wider angle and more zoom.

Here's the more recent model, the Panasonic HC-V500M (same price range):
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HC-V500M-Camcorder-Internal-Memory/dp/B0072B5COY/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343187996&sr=1-5&keywords=panasonic+camcorder

If you're interested, go with this newer model. If you put it on a tripod, make sure to put some weight on it - these are small and really light.

Many tripods have a hook in the middle for hanging weight.

Also pick up some editing software. Sony Vegas Platinum 11 is selling for only $30 on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Well, sorry about that. I tried the SD90 last year and wrongly assumed they included the mic input in the upgrade.

I see on Amazon they have "manufacturer refurbished" SD90's:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004I43MJ0/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished

Refurbished (as long as it's refurbished by the manufacturer/Panasonic) is a good deal. Plus you're only investing near 300 hundred.

I can tell you that SD90 is a cool little camcorder, I would jump on it.

I don't favor the image from the recent Sony's in that price range. The Canon's are good - but the touchscreens for what you described as "high stress" situations might be an issue compared to the ease of the SD90.

Of course, others may have different opinions/experiences.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot man,, now,, I have to become familiar with all the nomenclature and uses of all the features. I have a JVC Everio with 64 gig of cards in it but it really doesnt pan back far enough nor does it have an external mic.

I have a lot to learn and this new camera will no doubt spur me on

1 - 10 of 10 Posts