AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a Radeon 9000pro 64meg and would like to know which is the best version of Catalyst to use.

After much searching I have found that people seem to be all over the board with it. The problem is that I used to get the occasional frame dropout with Cat. 3.4 but I was too lazy to do anything about it. I recently tried some of the Windows Media 9 HD demos and now I can't watch Power DVD because the picture is way to "juddery". I'm not sure what happend but I am going to assume that installing WM9 caused something to change in my video drivers or in the Catalyst settings.

Any ideas?

Alun

·
Registered
16,923 Posts
WM9 will play hell on a good functioning HTPC [ sad but true :( ] .

-- For interlaced resolutions use Cat 3.4 .

-- For the best speed use Cat 3.10 [ Gaming ] .

-- For all around usage I would still say that Cat 3.10 works very well .

----- Jason

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not to worried about playing the WM9 videos, I was just trying them out. My problem is that it has somehow affected my PowerDVD playback and also my screen saver.

Ouch, I'm considering a fresh install of XP an all the rest.

Alun

·
Registered
673 Posts
For my setup, using the DVI in for 1080i, the cat 3.10s did not do the proper interlace overlay. It looked fine on the desktop but was cropped and zoomed for media (DVD and WM9).

If you have any problems with chopped video, try the cat 3.4s....otherwise if not the 3.10s are newer, faster and more bug free for games.

·
Registered
16,923 Posts
Yes Cat 3.10 can do interlaced resolutions for the desktop right out of the gate and with some tweaking it can do interlaced overlay but it is not as straight forward as the 3.4's for Interlaced Resolutions .

--- 3.10 is currently the best all-around CAT driver however [ at least in my opinion ;) ] .

----- Best Wishes ,

----- Jason

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help, I just tried re-installing Power DVD and it seems to work now except when I switched from 2 channel output to SPDIF I got the choppy problem again. I dont know what installing the new WM9 could have done to my audio drivers but I may have to re-install the M-Audio drivers as well. What a pain!!!!

Alun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.