AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two versions of the first film, my favorite of the series and one of my favorite movies period, but the picture quality of both is pretty poor. One is the Adventure Pack edition and the other is the 1999 DTS release which has decent sound, but man it's ugly. Are there are better versions out there, or will I just have to wait for a remaster and pick up an HD release if one ever comes?

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
I have the DTS and the DD version and I agree they are both ugly. Heavy edges. They look like they came from laserdisc masters, and made to look good on a 25 inch TV circa 1990. Pretty disappointing, Mr Speilberg.

JMO

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
The region 2 DVD looks sharp over the PAL laserdisc that I once owned, the six-track Dolby stereo split-surround mix is more than enough to give lots of THX JBL bite with roaring high sound pressure levels of fabricated proportions since dinosaurs are extinct yet I like the sounds of loins tigers and elephants mixed with special artistic skills by Skywalker sound.

·
Registered
298 Posts
JBLsound4645,

I saw your line on the Empire theater in London. That is one nice place to see a movie. I was taking a summer law study at Oxford and I got to see MI2 there in August 2000. I remember thinking that Yamaha should base a DSP model on that place (for their receivers that cost more than a small used car).

Walt

·
Registered
259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitek /forum/post/0

I have two versions of the first film, my favorite of the series and one of my favorite movies period, but the picture quality of both is pretty poor. One is the Adventure Pack edition and the other is the 1999 DTS release which has decent sound, but man it's ugly. Are there are better versions out there, or will I just have to wait for a remaster and pick up an HD release if one ever comes?

The authoritative answer to any question like this can be found on www.dvdbeaver.com

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt O /forum/post/0

JBLsound4645,

I saw your line on the Empire theater in London. That is one nice place to see a movie. I was taking a summer law study at Oxford and I got to see MI2 there in August 2000. I remember thinking that Yamaha should base a DSP model on that place (for their receivers that cost more than a small used car).

Walt
Walt O

You're talking about the DSP (digital signal processing) of capturing the acoustic characteristics of the Empire screen 1 auditorium. Now that would be nice along with the famous Mann's Chinese theatre in Californian.

MI2 during its screening at the Empire was using (Martin Audio) loudspeakers which I noticed around the same time when I saw Gladiator, it had impact that slammed kicked and rumbled more than what I heard and felt at the Odeon Westover road, here in Bournemouth. But there was something missing, some type of signature sound that wasn't giving what it originally was when the Empire was THX! The (Martin Audio five-screen and surround array) was disappointing and it was all stripped out last year, thank goodness.

The only original part that was still (JBL) during the few years that the (Martin Audio) was being used was the JBL 4645 x8 18 sub bass units, but it was lacking THX signature quality that I remember going way back to 1989 till early1995, the sound was pressing on your body and even (pinching the stomach) during moments like Indiana Jones pouring the Holy Grails water onto his dads wound, where there was something coming from one of the three-screen JBL 4675-A that was (pinching the stomach) even before the John Williams score reached the highest level, WOW yeah, try that at home boys and girls!

Place your dink on the floor at the Empire, and watching dance around!!!

Also I heard rumours that Jurassic Park really took a huge bite out of the Empire's audience in THX! To this day I'm still kicking myself for not seeing hearing and feeling it at the Empire, well you can't expect to run along to the Empire ever week can you now.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty144 /forum/post/0

I refuse to put my privates on any commercial theater floor!!!
scotty144

ROLFLMAO

What I think we have here gentlemen is another (typo error) sorry I need glasses, dink Drink! It should have been drink but don't put your privates on the cinema floor T-Rex well eat those off!!!

·
Registered
989 Posts
I believe you can be arrested for that....remember Paul Reubens aka Pee Wee Herman. I think he was arrested for tickling his junk at a theater in Florida. Coincidentally, I believe the feature being played was 'Your Ass lick Park'....go figure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.