AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning using my computer as a DVD player connected to my Pt50lc13 panny via DVI and I'm planning on getting the best video card that can natively do 1280X720p.

Which video card would you recommend?

Thanks.

:confused:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Most people seem to think that the newer generation ATI cards have the best picture quality (and performance as well)... I just hooked up an nVidia fx5200 based card (not the ultra, just a run-of-the-mill fx5200) yesterday in my new Dell 4600 and downloaded the latest nVidia drivers from their website. 1280x720 @ 60Hz (read: 720p) is an option immediately under Windows XP...

My card (Dell OEM, but no different mode-wise than any number of fx5200 based cards) provides a plethora of other modes as well... Not that you'll need them...

Marc

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
ATI still seem to offer the best picture quality for DVD. I think all their cards offer 1280x720 these days. When deciding on a video card I suggest you also consider other features as well: speed, DX9 compatibility, fan noise, $, etc.

I have a 9700Pro running 720p via DVI.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
159 Posts
If this is an HTPC style PC then heat and noise may also be factors. I have an ATI 9600 Pro that runs cooler since it doesn't need the extra power.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have NVIDIA GF4 TI 4400, but I could only get 960X540 pixels through DVI on my TV.

any ideas why it won't let me go higher resolution?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
582 Posts
frankmrt: Does your TV support 720p?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Does your TV support 720p?
Yes it does. My TV is the new Panasonic LCD PT-50LC13.

I can't get Power Strip to do 1280X720 with my GeF4 Ti4400 through DVI, I can only get 1280X720 through VGA. That's why I was asking which video card do 1280X720.

Any ideas?

:confused: :(

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by frankmrt
Yes it does. My TV is the new Panasonic LCD PT-50LC13.

I can't get Power Strip to do 1280X720 with my GeF4 Ti4400 through DVI, I can only get 1280X720 through VGA. That's why I was asking which video card do 1280X720.

Any ideas?

:confused: :(

Frank, Guess I'm not sure why you're even using powerstrip at this point... What OS are you using? If it's XP then you get 1280x720 as an option automatically after installing the latest nVidia drivers (get them from the website) and unchecking the 'hide modes not supported by monitor' checkbox under display adapter settings...

Do you have the latest (August 13, 2003 I think) drivers?

Marc

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Frank, Guess I'm not sure why you're even using powerstrip at this point... What OS are you using? If it's XP then you get 1280x720 as an option automatically after installing the latest nVidia drivers (get them from the website) and unchecking the 'hide modes not supported by monitor' checkbox under display adapter settings...
Yes, it worked. I'm using windows XP with Nvidia's latest drivers (Version: 45.23 Release Date: August 13, 2003 WHQL Certified) Via DVI.

Thank you Marc.

:D ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm having a related problem here. I've got a Samsung HLN467W DLP and am connecting my HTPC via DVI. My old HTPC with an ATI AIW 9500 did 1280x720 by default. I just upgraded to a new HTPC with an ATI 9600 Pro and I don't see 1280x720 as an option. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

-Michael O. Schoneman

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
Either this is one of the best kept secrets, or there is some serious flaw or drawback, but Rage3D Tweak at:

http://www.rage3d.com/r3dtweak/

is a free utility for Radeon cards to activiate custom modes like 1280x720p, among other things.

While Powerstrip is nice, it probably has way too many scan rate timing features than most people need. All most people want to do is simply activate 1280x720 or 1360x768, without fancy scan rate timing tweaks like porch and blanking intervals.

And Rage3D tweak integrates with the stock ATI DIsplay Properties Advanced control panels.

The rage3D site also has lots of other Radeon tweak utilites and drivers, and apps.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Rgb,

It is not necessary to make any adjustments to the custon 720p resolution in PS. Once you select custom 720p from a list the PC will reboot and the resolution is now part of display properties. PS can then be uninstalled and a driver upgrade will still retain the 720p setting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tried PowerStrip and I'm not sure exactly what I did, but it took a couple of reboots and hooking a monitor up to the VGA connector, but eveything is working now. I'm at 1280x720 @ 60 Hz and everything thing is good. Thanks Cliff. Rgb, thanks for the pointer, I've downloaded the program and will have it in my bag of tricks, if this ever comes up again.

Now if only XP MCE took advantage of the widescreen display when playing DVDs. Oh well, time to look at TT and ZoomPlayer.

Again, thanks,

-Michael O. Schoneman

·
Registered
725 Posts
I agree with Rgb try Rage3D Tweak. After loading the latest ATI drivers on my HTPC 1280x720 was not listed. Powerstrip added 1280x720 but I could only get a panning 1280x720 on a 800x600 desktop. ATI tech support told me they do not support 1280x720. I reinstalled XP and all apps and still got the panning 1280x720. Rage3D Tweak setup 1280x720 easily with no problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.