AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my computer connected to my Akai LCT2715 via VGA cable right now, but the TV only supports resolutions of 1024x768 via VGA.

I want to get the full 720p resolution from my computer, but my TV doesn't have DVI or HDMI inputs, and my video card only has dual VGA outputs.

So I want to buy a new video card that will output 720p singas via component cable that my TV can decode and display in 720p.

What is a good, cheap video card that will do this? I'm currently running a Geforce FX 5200, which is pretty dated but it's still able to play some decent games. It needs to be an AGP card because my mobo doesn't support PCI express.

Any help would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The video card you have now should be able to produce the resolution you want using Power Strip. However, you will need to use a component cable to connect the video card to the TV set, and a transcoder will be needed to convert the RGB signal to YPrPb, to get the resolution you want.

Do you plan on watching DVDs or playing games?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watching transport streams, actually.

Would it be cheaper to skip the converter and the extra cables and go straight to a new card with component out?

My computer side resolution isn't the problem, it's the TV that will only accept 1024x768 via VGA, AFAIK.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
There's not much difference between 1280x720 ans 1024x768. Is it a wide screen TV?

You can use powerstrip to get 1280x720 w/ your current setup. It may very well work w/ VGA. If not, a 6200 w/ the component dongle are reasonable.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2tincan
Watching transport streams, actually.

Would it be cheaper to skip the converter and the extra cables and go straight to a new card with component out?

My computer side resolution isn't the problem, it's the TV that will only accept 1024x768 via VGA, AFAIK.

thanks!
If all you want to do is view .ts/.tp files I have two words: MyHD MDP-130.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...deo/mdp130.asp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.