AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two video cards, and I want to put one in my "gaming" PC and one in my HTPC:
  • "powered by ATI" Radeon 9500 Pro
  • GeForce FX 5200 Ultra

My HTPC will be doing:
  • HD recording and playback with a MyHD card (output via RGB on-board and then to transcoder to component video input on display)
  • MP3 playback
  • DVD playback (output via passthrough on MyHD and then to transcoder

My "gaming" PC will be running games :) including 3-D accelerated first-person shooters.

The motherboards in both machines support 8x AGP.

I don't want to buy a new video card, so which should go in each machine?

If I wanted to add a video capture card and DScaler to the HTPC at a future date, where should the two cards go then, or would I have to buy a better video card.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I guess you could try both cards for both functions and then see what is the set up that will give you optimal results.

Do not know much about FX 5200, but I would guess it is slower 3D card than 9500 Pro. Check the video quality of both cards and decide if it pays off so go put ATI in your HTPC. I did not have dealings with Nvidia cards for quite some time ever since I ditched GF4 TI-4200.

By the way, Christmas is around the corner, and maybe Santa has a new ATI card on the way for you? I know that a lots of extreme gamers will be selling their 9800 Pro to get the new ATI powerhouse, so you might be able to pick it up on the E-bay for less than you would think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.