AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Samsung HP-S6373 (63") Plasma TV. I am a cable TV subscriber and a slave to the box. The TV is rated up to 1080i (1366 x 768 pixels). Having bought this great TV I would like to buy a Video processor that can take the video signal from my cable tv box (DVI output) and provide a full screen quality picture of 1080i from the standard 480I and the digital 720i/p signal from the box. I'm relatively new to the home theater market and I would appreciate recommendations regarding new video processors that will eliminate the stretched screen while improving the picture.

Thanks to all.......

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricjames /forum/post/0

The TV is rated up to 1080i (1366 x 768 pixels). Having bought this great TV I would like to buy a Video processor that can take the video signal from my cable tv box (DVI output) and provide a full screen quality picture of 1080i...

Thanks to all.......

Youre really better off feeding the TV 768p than 1080i. If you use a scaler to upconvert to 1080i then the TV is just going to convert it to 768p anyway. Unnecessary steps.

Any video processor can do that. Ive only owned a few of them, not enough to have an opinion, but I do know that to get an answer youre better off saying how much youre willing to spend. They can be expensive.

I frequently see good deals on DVDO and Key Digital units as long as they are not the current models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. My budget will be 2500.00 or less. After reading a few threads in this category I recognize I have a lot to learn. I live south of New Orleans and there is not a video processor market in my area as yet so I'll have to buy my processor "in the blind" on-line.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've never seen a video processor (except for the Faroudja native rate series) which didn't let you switch from 768p to 720p if one didn't work. But I haven't seen so many VP menus.

A DVDO VP wouldn't be a blind purchase. They're pretty well accepted. But are they as good as the competition? Don't know. At least some models are cheap with all the new models that have come out.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
No, the question is whether his DISPLAY will accept NR. Of which I have no idea - I only know that my LCD won't, regardless of what games I play with my VP50. Maybe there is a setting for it, but I have yet to find it. That said, an external vp would be of questionable value if your plasma won't accept NR input;

Also, from reading between the lines, nothing is going to make 4x3 SD fill your 16x9 display in what most would call a decent fashion. If you are happy with the WIDE mode of your sammy, fine - but an external box won't do much better at stretching. It may do a better job of deinterlacing, and upscaling. Just don't expect it to stretch from side to side.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee /forum/post/0

No, the question is whether his DISPLAY will accept NR.

I understand. All I mean is that if it won't accept NR of 768p, he could always change his VP to a scaling setting that it will accept.

But I agree that in such a case the VP would be of questionable value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee /forum/post/0

I only know that my LCD won't, regardless of what games I play with my VP50. If there is a setting for it, but I have yet to find it.

Ambitious of you. I would have just accepted that it was a limitation of the display. I don't read posts that often, but I've never heard of anyone getting around that problem. I have 2 RPTVs which display 1080p but which won't accept that input. Never occurred to me to try to get around that limitation. I would love it if I could, because one of the displays don't look so great - even after ISF calibration.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricjames /forum/post/0

I recently purchased a Samsung HP-S6373 (63") Plasma TV. I am a cable TV subscriber and a slave to the box. The TV is rated up to 1080i (1366 x 768 pixels). Having bought this great TV I would like to buy a Video processor that can take the video signal from my cable tv box (DVI output) and provide a full screen quality picture of 1080i from the standard 480I and the digital 720i/p signal from the box. I'm relatively new to the home theater market and I would appreciate recommendations regarding new video processors that will eliminate the stretched screen while improving the picture.

Thanks to all.......

take a look at the kd-vphd2 from Keydigital

I just picked one up for my 62" tosh dlp and all I can say is WOW

HD DVD never looked so good!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.