AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
11,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHuff /forum/post/13371773

What I am curious about is that the World Import site shows that you can use a component connection with the DP-5000 by just plugging the 3 video cables into the composite connection. Is this true??

I have also read that. I think their just using one of the 3 component cables routed thru the DP-5000. Not sure which one, but I think it would be a moot point, since there are no recorders currently with component inputs. With my CT-2 I get great results using S-video. Hopefully the DP-5000 will be the same.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just got the DP-5000 I ordered from World Import a couple of weeks ago.

What actually showed up was a DPX-7000 that looks exactly the same as the DP-5000, so I was curious if anyone else has recently received the same unit. I assume this is an updated version of the DP-5000. Maybe they just keep changing the model #'s based on lawsuits etc....???

Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out this weekend!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also just received a DPX-7000 from world import. DanHuff, have you used it yet? Has anybody used it? It looks exactly the same as the DP-5000 (except it is black).

I hope it works as good as everyone says the DP-5000 works. (Incidentally, world import now lists the DP as unavailable. I ordered it on friday and it arrived today. I got lucky I guess, managed to order it just before it diseappared).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just received my DP5000 from World-Import and do not know how to connect it. I saw your posting and was wondering if you could help. I have a digital cable box and dvd/recorder/player combo unit. All I'm trying to do is record HBO onto my dvd recorder. I called World Import but didn't have any luck understanding them. Did you actually have to also connect to your TV as well?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was wondering if you could share with me the way you connected your DP5000. I also have a digital cable box and dvd/recorder/player combo unit. I called World Import with no luck. Did you have to connect anything to your tv? Help-I'm having no luck with this unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob /forum/post/13372411

Oh yeah, I find no trouble with the DP-5000 whatsoever, hooked that up from my set-top digital cable box, and into my Samsung DVD-R135, and seems to record everything like it's just a lowly home video. I'm probably even gonna try recording the weekend HBO movie to put this device to the ultimate test. Don't worry, it's gonna be an HBO movie recording for my own use, I know the rules.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGirl /forum/post/13601588

I just received my DP5000 from World-Import and do not know how to connect it. I saw your posting and was wondering if you could help. I have a digital cable box and dvd/recorder/player combo unit. All I'm trying to do is record HBO onto my dvd recorder. I called World Import but didn't have any luck understanding them. Did you actually have to also connect to your TV as well?

dont know what gear u got, but here goes anyway. the very simple version. try recording content without the dp5000 first, only use if u get 'no record/copy protection' messages.

for recording video with dp5000:

connect a yellow rca cable from stb (cable box) sd video out to dp5000 rca video input then another yellow rca video cable from dp5000 video out to a video line input on rear of dvdr (dvd recorder).

for recording audio with above video-bypass dp5000:

connect a red and white rca cable from stb stereo audio out to matching audio input of dvdr video cable u just already hooked up.

for playback:

hook up either composite, s video or red, green, blue component video cable (or even hdmi)(if u have a hdtv) from video output on dvdr to open video input on tv.

audio:

hook up 2nd set of red and white rca audio cables from audio output on dvdr to audio input on tv that corresponds with the video inputs u just hooked up. if using hdmi, u wont need to hook up audio cables.

others may suggest using the rf connectors, or other ideas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You guys who received the DPX-7000: Please post your impressions/results. Thanks!

There was no mention of anyone having the Firebird-Systems Archiever unit. Is (was!) the DP-5000 superior?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just posted this in a new thread before I noticed this thread. I searched under dp5000 etc., but this thread didn't turn up.

Anyway, here's what I posted:

Some time ago, I ordered one of these (DP-5000 copy enhancer) from World-Import.com. Because I live in Canada, I had it sent to a friend in Chicago, who sent it on to me. I just got it a few days ago, and will begin testing it soon.

I will test it on both copy-protected VHS tapes and DVDs to see who well it works.

In checking the site to see if they were still available I found this:

http://www.world-import.com/macrovisionkiller.htm

I don't know whether they're just out of stock or what. I haven't checked to see whether other suppliers of similar devices are also no longer selling them.

We could use this thread for reports on how well these things work with various equipment and video sources. Just let the other thread I started die (I don't know how to delete it).

·
Registered
11,544 Posts
As long as you do it today you should be able to click on the thread, then click EDIT then DELETE. I know if you wait too long it can only be deleted by a moderator. Not sure of the exact time though, also I think if someone posts to it you cannot delete it.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

I just posted this in a new thread before I noticed this thread. I searched under dp5000 etc., but this thread didn't turn up.

I will test it on both copy-protected VHS tapes and DVDs to see who well it works.

In checking the site to see if they were still available I found this:

http://www.world-import.com/macrovisionkiller.htm

I don't know whether they're just out of stock or what. I haven't checked to see whether other suppliers of similar devices are also no longer selling them.

--------------------------------------------------------------end quote]

the movie studio lawyers must have caught up with them!

·
Registered
11,544 Posts
I have the CT-2 (which looks just like the CT-200 pictured). It copies anything I have tried, but don't have a BR to try that. Personally I haven't read one way or the other about the Simas and BR. The more expensive one in your link specifically did mention BR though.

Note when I've tried copying a resolution test pattern and contrast test pattern with my CT-2 it did reduce contrast and resolution a slight bit, although I have not noticed a problem actually copying a movie.

I think my CT-2 was $100 back when BB sold them and I consider mine one of my better investments.

·
Registered
11,544 Posts
I just got my Heartland America catalog and I see they have the Sima CT-200 for quite a bit cheaper than your link. If interested here's a link. $79.99 + shipping's not bad.

I've ordered from them and their just fine. Actually I usually just go to their headquarters in Chaska MN and skip the shipping, but then I have to pay tax. I think I've seen these for much more on fleabay. They do say closeout so I don't know how long they'll have them.
http://www.heartlandamerica.com/brow...80AE2&DL=HWN4#

edit:I just checked my link and it looks like it's "out of stock". I'll leave the link up for now in case it comes back in stock. If it doesn't I remove the link.

edit:still out of stock but it's still on the site, maybe it will come back??

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtop /forum/post/13611978

You guys who received the DPX-7000: Please post your impressions/results. Thanks!

There was no mention of anyone having the Firebird-Systems Archiever unit. Is (was!) the DP-5000 superior?

I will let you know how the DPX-7000 works as soon as I have a chance to test it. Probably next weekend.

Its kind of nice to know I got the newest version when I ordered the DP-5000 (and paid the price for the DP-5000, and not the newer, higher price).

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i have seen the dpx-7000 in use.

the one i had access to created some noise in the signal. the noise is most noticeable in the dark scenes.

i checked all the cable connections and the noise is definitely being caused by the dpx-7000.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I tested my new DPX-7000 this weekend and it worked like a champ.

The DVD I was trying to dub would be dark (but still somewhat viewable) when the signal was fed to my VCR. When I hooked up the DPX-7000 between the DVD player and VCR the picture was then crystal clear! Made my backup and can't wait to use it again.

An e-mail from World Imports states that the DPX-7000 is the newest version of the 5000 and has updated firmwear. Good luck if you can find one now I guess.

I'm impressed with the unit so far. The best deal now may be the CT-200's at Heartland America. You better hurry!

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Am I missing something such that people don't just buy a reasonably good TBC like the DataVideo TBC-1000 instead of the latest wacky copy box?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm really going out on a limb here, but.......maybe price??

The other units we are talking about here do the same thing as well as the DataVideo TBC-1000 and are about 1/3 of the cost.

I dunno, maybe that's it!

·
Registered
11,544 Posts
Maybe size of the unit? My 4 year old Sima CT-2 has never failed to copy anything I've tried (don't have a BR though) and is the size of a pack of cigarettes. I'm going to guess TBC's are quite a bit larger and also pricier. My Sima's cost between $50-100, depending on rebates going on at the time. No idea of what a TBC goes for, but I'm sure quite a bit more.

21 - 40 of 106 Posts