AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building our new house right now and am planning out which speakers i should use where. I just completed my front three for the theater area (Fusion 8's). I took some pictures and will start a build thread on those shortly and also post a review on DIYSG.

My next project is speakers for our outdoor patio/pool area. They will be just below the ceiling of our covered patio firing out towards the pool. I prewired for a subwoofer as well out there. I may make a bench or something that is the sub, if needed, but would rather not put one out there. I have looked at the specs on the volts and my question is will the 10 sound that much better than the 6? I like the size of the enclosure for the 6 but if the 10 would play better and not need the sub for a fuller sound i would go that route.

I also plan on building volts for my surrounds in the basement to go with the fusion 8's in the front. Same dilemma there, i like the size of the 6 but don't want to skimp on size just for the form factor if the 10 is that much better.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
They only go down to 65-70hz so you're not going to get a full range sound from either without a sub. If its to play background music it will be ok. If you plan to play music for a party then you definitely need a sub, you could build a portable sub for such events. UV from the sun can damage woofers so you need to make sure they are protected from the elements.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be mostly background music but I'm not gonna lie, I will turn it up every chance I get so I better just plan on the sub then. So with a sub either will do the trick, right?

I have always planned on building an F-20 so this may be the excuse I need for that. I have the sub already and have had the plans on my computer for a couple of years now, just never built it.

I guess the same would apply for the basement as well? I hope to be able to make an IB with 4-18's work down there.

Thanks for the reply

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I was thinking of making a pool party speaker with some. I have some 15" PA speakers with a blown top, I was going to steal the 15 from that and start crossing it 12db/octave about 200hz to the coax on top, which I would cross at 100hz or so to protect it and gain some volume.

I was looking at this design: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...cgrad-s-10a-coaxial-collaborative-design.html

It looks better than the volt considering it's louder, has a bigger CD, and the cross is in a better place to get rid of some of the wonky. I also liked the value proposition of the Eminence. Looks like a nice bang for the buck considering what you are getting. According to Matt Grant (he designed VOLT) this design has (a more complex crossover that helps maintain a flatter response shape then the original Volt-10 that makes the top end more refined and the lower and steeper crossover that helps to bury the woofer's breakup a bit better and the midrange pulled up slightly to give it a more balanced sound.

I want to try this little project later this year when the weather is a little warmer. I got too many DIY things going on right now.

But if you run just these you might want to consider making it a 3 way or adding a sub like a nice 2.1 system. A $59 infinity 1260 12" sub woofer might go well with them too, and those are basically waterproof if you seal the box. You can use them on boats or get the cones wet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts