AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of setting up my rear speakers and am not sure how they should be set up. First some background: The room is rectangular and the TV is on the long wall but it isn't centered. Behind the TV (i.e., the other long wall) is mostly glass, with about two feet drywall on each end of the glass. Those two corners are probably the only place to put the rear speakers as we also have a wood ceiling and it is a no go to put anything there.

The rear speakers I have are 11' H by 5" W by 4" D and are wall mountable but that may not pass the wife test. My other option will to place them on stands in wither corner. In total, the room is about 21 feet wide, so they will be very far apart.

First, anyone mount speakers that of that size? They feel kind of bog to me and I suspect that the sound would be affected? Second, should the speakers point straight across (i.e., directly at each other) or should they be angled toward the middle seating position? At the distance that they are, would anything even matter as I won't get the right sound anyway?

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
I think I would personally rather have them on stands and then set them up on either side of the couch pointing in towards the seated area.

I think because we aren't in your room, the best thing to do is place in in different positions and try them out. If they ported speakers and the ports are in the rear, then you need to put the port plugs in them.

If you have kids, make them stand with the speakers above their heads for a minute to see how wall mounting would sound before drilling holes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, placing the speakers too far away from any wall is not practical as I have hardwood floors and am on a concrete foundation. To reach the rear speakers, I am having a guy wire run wires through the attic this weekend. But yeah, I suppose I need to get around to testing the different spots because that will determine where the wire exits the wall.

And yeah, I hadn't thought about using my kids as speakers stands. That might be a decent long term solution?

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 /forum/post/19614412

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, placing the speakers too far away from any wall is not practical as I have hardwood floors and am on a concrete foundation. To reach the rear speakers, I am having a guy wire run wires through the attic this weekend. But yeah, I suppose I need to get around to testing the different spots because that will determine where the wire exits the wall.

And yeah, I hadn't thought about using my kids as speakers stands. That might be a decent long term solution?

lol... no just to see if you like them up high near the wall... but using the kids long terms would mean less chasing after them.. haahahahahaa

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 /forum/post/19614458

lol... no just to see if you like them up high near the wall... but using the kids long terms would mean less chasing after them.. haahahahahaa

Well, my kids are five and six so they won't help me get the speakers too high on the wall. That is, unless I wait about ten years. Hmmm?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/0

do you have a 7.1 setup?

I ask because that's the only time you'd use rear speakers.

If you have a 5.1 setup, you'd need to place SIDE speakers.

+1

And, to clarify, those SIDE speakers should each be pointed at, or just above, the ears of the primary listener position.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again. I have a 5.1 and as it stands, the "side" speakers will be on either side but about 6 - 12 inches further back of the main seating area. So not quite literally on the side but not too far off either. I assume this will be acceptable?

And while I am discussing speaker placement, I ran across this line in my receiver's manual:

make sure the center speaker does not cross the line formed by the leading edge of the front left and right speakers

So how important is it for the center speaker not to be further up than the mains? At least, that is what I think it means?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 /forum/post/19615123

Thanks again. I have a 5.1 and as it stands, the "side" speakers will be on either side but about 6 - 12 inches further back of the main seating area. So not quite literally on the side but not too far off either. I assume this will be acceptable?

That's actually perfect. Dolby Labs recommends placing them between 90 and 110 degrees from that primary listener, so as long as they're in that window, you're golden.

Quote:
And while I am discussing speaker placement, I ran across this line in my receiver's manual:

make sure the center speaker does not cross the line formed by the leading edge of the front left and right speakers

So how important is it for the center speaker not to be further up than the mains? At least, that is what I think it means?

It's generally not a good idea. However, some auto-calibration methods are able to detect speaker distances and adjust signal delivery accordingly. What receiver are you using?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19615003

+1

And, to clarify, those SIDE speakers should each be pointed at, or just above, the ears of the primary listener position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19616276

That's actually perfect. Dolby Labs recommends placing them between 90 and 110 degrees from that primary listener, so as long as they're in that window, you're golden.

It's generally not a good idea. However, some auto-calibration methods are able to detect speaker distances and adjust signal delivery accordingly. What receiver are you using?

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX21-TXH. I believe there is an autocalibration? Well, I did something with wired mic to set up the system initially that from what I could gather estimated the distance of each speaker and I assume adjusted the volume.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 /forum/post/0

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX21-TXH. I believe there is an autocalibration? Well, I did something with wired mic to set up the system initially that from what I could gather estimated the distance of each speaker and I assume adjusted the volume.

MCACC adjusts for the distances down to the 1/2 inch, so you should be ok. But, it's definitely a good idea to try to line up the faces of each of the front three -- as well as you can.

Any chance you can bring the front R/L forward to line them up? If so, do that, and then re-run MCACC.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19616771

MCACC adjusts for the distances down to the 1/2 inch, so you should be ok. But, it's definitely a good idea to try to line up the faces of each of the front three -- as well as you can.

Any chance you can bring the front R/L forward to line them up? If so, do that, and then re-run MCACC.

Thanks. And you actually answered a secondary question, which was whether I should to have the center further back than the fronts or aligned with them. I should be able to get them reasonably aligned and rerun the mcacc. Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So this is a separate issue but I might as well add it here. It looks like I may have made a mistake with the placement of my center speaker. As with most folks, there I had an issue with where to place it. I decided, primarily for aesthetic reasons, to mount my TV and place the center on the console (which previously held the TV). It is a very nice console that cost a good deal of money.

Anyway, since the console is about 22 deep, and the center is can only go about half way up without looking kinda ridiculous, I am guessing I will have all manner of problems with the sound diffracting off the console top.

All along this has been a battle with the wife to have the HT blend as seamlessly as possible (with limited funds) in our very nice family room. So if I have about 10" of table top in front of the center, that will cause an issue right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts