AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 56 inch 1080P DLP Samsung TV and HLS-5687WX. It is almost 3 years old. I also have a Kenwood receiver and speakers, the receiver is a VR-7070 and it about 4-5 years old. It is a 6.1 setup with component input and 2 Optical, 2 Coaxial audio inputs. The speakers are a mismash of Kenwoods. The Front Left and Right are 140w, The Center 100w, Surround Left and Right 100w, and Surround Rear 40w.

My TV is no longer outputting Dolby Digital through it's Digital Optical output. I had previously been running 4 HDMI devices through a Xtreme Mac HDMI Switch.

What route would you go. Get a new TV, as the lamp is probably ready to die any minute or buy a new receiver or HTIB? I had looked at the Onkyo's with HDMI repeaters, and looked at various TVs.

Any suggestions as to where to start? I know I need to replace both eventually, but I really can't stand no Dolby Digital right now.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I never recommend HTiB... yuck, I am finally getting around to replacing mine... one channel at a time. Stick with an Onkyo receiver though... grab a 507... or if you are not too worried about getting the latest HD sound formats grab a 505 for dirt cheap... if you can find one...

·
Registered
16 Posts
yeah definitely not a HTIB option. Look @ a TV, see if you can pick up one of the older Panna / Samsung LCD/Plasmas ( not going into that debate... (i vote plasma)) should be able to get a high end model at a good price, but might just be a bit late! look @ Big River Co. for some ideas. Then try an bundle a receivers and keep speakers. then over time upgrade speakers. I am so-so about receivers, not convinced the top of the line ones are worth it yet, as they are so technology dependant, and as soon as a newer tech is released, you need to update again, where as if you buy some top shelf speakers, they will be with you for a while.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Depends on your priorities... What kind of budget do you have, and are you mostly into movies or music?

Also, changing the lamp in your tv should not be too much, I would think. It is a 1080p set, after all. If you're happy with its picture quality you might as well keep it. I would start investing in nice speakers first and go from there, but again, it's a matter of preference.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not really a budget per say, but if I 'd be better off upgrading the sound now, and the TV once it finally craps out for good, I'd do that.

I don't wanna spend crazy amounts on speakers since I'm not much of an audiophile anyway. I've been looking at the Onkyo HT-S6200 since it seems like a good HTiB. $600 is on the high end of what I would like to spend, but I would be set for a while.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Try to find like a JBL SCS 500.5 speaker package on ebay. I've seen them as low as $200 new and like and Onkyo 507 or 605. Should be able to get you to that $600 or below and have a decent set up. I run those speaker in my living room set up and love them. Great sound for their size and price with a good little sub.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Also take a look at Monitor Audio Radius series. Among the best small speakers. Check these guys out, they often have closeouts or open box items at a discount... http://www.saturdayaudio.com/

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
HDTV LAST!!!! Every year the flat screens get better AND cheaper. They will not stay up to date like speakers (almost timeless). AVRs which can be fine for 5 years or more, depending on the user, will be a better value.

You say you are not much of an audio guy, but maybe you haven't heard anything to make you so. Go with anything but a HTiB. The speaker thread has tons of threads with varying dollar amounts. I would start there.

IMO sound is much more important than video. If the sound is done correctly everything from movies to music, video games to sports, they all seem more life like.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would recommen starting with your speakers, i've put this list together for people like you who are unsure of what brand they should be looking at:

Acoustic Research

Aperion

Ascend

Athena (ls series at audioadvisor, Brand discontinued by Klipsch therefore RARE)(I personally own a 5.0 set of LS series speakers)

AV123 (All products are excellent)

Axiom

B&W

BIC (good sub: HC-100)

Boston Acoustics

Canton

Definitive Technologies

EMP

Energy (C-series)

Fluance (Really cheap with good reviews, they have an eBay store)

HSU (good subs)

HTD

Infinity (Beta & Primus)

Jamo

JBL

KEF

KLH

Klipsch

Mirage

Monitor

Orb Audio

Paradigm

Polk (RTI8 and Monitor)

PSB

RBH

The Speaker Company

Streem

SVS (good subs)

Tweak City Audio

If your current receiver works then you could just keep using it too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts