Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current entertainment center setup consists of:

- SONY STR-DN1000 Receiver
- SONY SS-MSP66 Cube speakers (5)
- Boston Acoustics CS Sub 10

I have just acquired:

- SONY STR-DH850 Receiver
- Bose Acoustimass 700 5.1 speakers

The STRs seem only marginally different, but it looks like the 850 might be better with the TV (a Vizio VW42L)

But which is the "better" sound system/setup (from a product quality standpoint)?

·
Registered
22,651 Posts
Do you really think those Sony cube speakers are that much better than the Bose? :confused:
I'd suggest a new speaker system... period. ;)

Since the OP already has both speaker systems... it's probably best to set up and audition each speaker system and compare.

Reactions: romeyn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you really think those Sony cube speakers are that much better than the Bose? :confused:
I'd suggest a new speaker system... period. ;)

Since the OP already has both speaker systems... it's probably best to set up and audition each speaker system and compare.
Yeah...I've decided that's what I'm going to do: Set them both up and see how they perform.

So what would anyone recommend as replacements for the SONY cube speakers?

·
Registered
22,651 Posts
IMHO, perform your comparisons first. Maybe you'll like the Bose system better.
(That wouldn't make you a bad person) ;)

If not, an upgrade path is a different discussion. :)

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
My current entertainment center setup consists of:

- SONY STR-DN1000 Receiver
- SONY SS-MSP66 Cube speakers (5)
- Boston Acoustics CS Sub 10

I have just acquired:

- SONY STR-DH850 Receiver
- Bose Acoustimass 700 5.1 speakers

The STRs seem only marginally different, but it looks like the 850 might be better with the TV (a Vizio VW42L)

But which is the "better" sound system/setup (from a product quality standpoint)?
Tried to look up the specs for the Sony speakers and couldn't. Maybe Sony wants to forget they ever put them out :). On that ground, my vote would be on Bose because bad, good or indifferent, Bose invented this category and created success around it.

As to what is better, do they need to be cube speakers? If so, then stay with Bose or whichever sounds good to you. There are no good choices until you move up to bookshelf speakers.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Tried to look up the specs for the Sony speakers and couldn't. Maybe Sony wants to forget they ever put them out :). On that ground, my vote would be on Bose because bad, good or indifferent, Bose invented this category and created success around it.

As to what is better, do they need to be cube speakers? If so, then stay with Bose or whichever sounds good to you. There are no good choices until you move up to bookshelf speakers.
+1

I'm too slow... going down this same road, but slower. The Sony cubes are part of an HTIB... and as singles, vs. Bose's dual cubes and dedicated surround speakers, they lose.

I had better luck with the AVRs, but both seem quite new, with comparable power, depending. I'd be happy with either unit, and would recommend selling one to finance a speaker upgrade. Anything to get real speakers producing real sound...

Have fun,
Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts