Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone.

All the parts for my htpc are in the mail...

and the only concern I have left is what windows OS to use:

While I like XP, I've read [and have on my non-dedicated PC] sync problems when playing video ocassionally.

Sometimes with DVD's,

and very often with divx videos.

I've heard that this is a problem just associated with XP, and not older versions of windows...is this true?

If it is, which would be a better choice -- ME or 98SE?

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
719 Posts
I use Win2KPro and it works very well. It has been around long enough that drivers are available for pretty much all components. It is more stable than the older OS's.

I have not heard of the problems you have described with Win XP. I know a lot of the people on this Forum are using XP without problems.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Everything I have read, and experienced, point to Windows XP Pro to be the best choice. The only thing I am aware of that is 'a problem just associated with XP' is its Product Activation junk. If that bothers you enough, you can find things to download to get away from it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by johnb4467
If it is, which would be a better choice -- ME or 98SE?
Ignoring WinXP for the moment, if you were only picking between WinME and Win98SE, go pick Win98SE. I say this because of the articles I've read about WinME over on the major PC magazine websites -- one article if you search for the article essentially says if you strip it down for efficiency then you might as well use Win98SE. If you want the restore feature that comes with WinME then get that -- but if you have Win98SE, you can always use the "scanreg /restore" at dos to restore at least the last five days for your registry. I use that "scanreg /restore" command frequently when I'm trying out software only to want to discard it and go back to exactly how I had the system before I installed it.

I would also say pick Win98SE if you want to directly use VfW drivers -- without having to use any WDM wrappers that you may need to attempt to get such drivers to work in WinXP. I have three TV Tuner cards for watching regular TV and PVR on my system and for one of them I use an older VfW driver software instead of the current WDM driver software for the card because with the VfW I'm able to force the picture from that TV Tuner card (an ATI TV Wonder PCI card) as a Picture-In-Picture through the full-screen picture of my other TV Tuner card (a Creative Video Blaster Digital VCR card using a WDM driver) when I have that second card in full-screen PVR mode. I don't think I can get that PIP if I were using WinXP (unless I decided to splurge and get the new $400 ATI AIW 9700 Pro that has mulTView where I would also need the ATI TV Wonder to provide the secondary TV source).

If you want more rock-solid stability, then of course get WinXP (any edition). If you use Win98SE or WinME and if you are dying to have that WinXP look, then go get WindowBlinds and ObjectBar but beware that those pretty skin programs can be resource hogs on Win98SE/WinME.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by johnb4467
While I like XP, I've read [and have on my non-dedicated PC] sync problems when playing video ocassionally.

Sometimes with DVD's,

and very often with divx videos.

I've heard that this is a problem just associated with XP, and not older versions of windows...is this true?

John
I'm not the expert, but this sounds wrong. A large number of people in this forum, probably even the majority, are using WinXP. If there were video sync problems, we'd be hearing about it all along. But it doesn't come up. For what it's worth, I'm using WinXP and have no problems.

What it does sound like is that certain hardware might not have had good XP drivers when XP was introduced. Those problems should be taken care of by now. And, going forward, you are likely to have more driver problems using 98 or ME than with XP.

Unless you have a real problem with activiation, or have some specialized hardware that isn't supported by XP, XP probably is the best OS for you. Going back to an older version of Windows would be a waste.

·
Registered
275 Posts
With a dual CPU HTPC you have three choices:

Unix flavor stuff ( Always hitting road blocks int he HT arena )

Microsoft NT - More stable now and better support of hardware but still

restrictive towards software availability.

XP\\XP-PRO - Currently the best for hardware & software support.

Less OS overhead than NT.

·
Registered
229 Posts
WinME, the worst of all MS OS.

Win98SE, if you have an slow computer like I do, U can use an program called 98Lite to strip all unneed component of Win98 and it ran very well.

WinXP Pro, much stable, more support.

I am currently using the MCE, and its no use for me cuz it ran so slow on my computer. But just the OS I also strip it down, and disable 90% of the services and it ran pretty well. I need WinXP cuz it can read double-byte characters for international support.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
re: windows me

I have a box where i still run windows me..... It has been flawless, but I have taken very careful steps to ensure that each new software and hardware product was completely not going to be a problem. To date I have only one serious problem...... I did have to do one restore. The ME failed to restore as it was intended to do from a previous save. This meant that I had to reload drivers, software and use various utilities to correct the mess that was created by ME restore. It took half a day to correct problems. I have also set up client machines for servers with windows 2000 and they have worked flawlessly for over a year. So no more revenue from these. I dont know how much longer MS will support ME. I would suspect not too much longer. So get XP.... it is more future proof.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I dual boot, use Win98SE under most circumstanses and only use XP for those tasks that actually require it. I try new things in XP periodically, but if it gives me problems, I still have the tried and true to fall back on.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nutcase_1uk
See what I mean... :)
I don't get it. I've never had a problem with ME. I've got it running on some instruments at work that haven't been rebooted in months. Although my HTPC is 2000, I triple boot my desktop with ME, XP Pro, and Mandrake 9.0 and I boot into ME 98% of the time because everything I want to run works perfect under ME. There have been some polls on AVS and Theatertek and there were a significant number of people using ME successfully. Xcel use to sing the praises of ME and I think DC use to ship their HTPC's with ME. It couldn't be that bad.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've had one BSOD in the year or so I've been running ME, and maybe one or two times when I've had to end a program my CTRL-ALT-DEL'ing it. However, I can't speak for long-term stability as it's never on for more than 8-10 hours in one go.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I went to the Gateway store this weekend and got to play with Windows Media Center Edition (MCE). That Graviton mouse is way cool! I'm interested in building a box myself and putting MCE on it. And yes I realize it's only OEM right now, but that may change soon or I may be able to get the beta I know it's floating around. But I'm having trouble finding sites that deal with installing MCE oneself. Anyone know any good sites that deal with this? Also where can one get that mouse?

·
Registered
375 Posts
it's all about Win2K. don't even consider NT or ME, NT is out dated, ME is unstable (aside from the elete few listed above). 98SE is better but I have run them all except XP and I don't plan on leaving 2K any time soon.

Andy

·
Registered
229 Posts
Huh, I was the promotional staff for the MCE, I dont see any special mouse? U talking about the remote? But we are demoing the HP for a month already and our promotion ended last weekend. You say u saw it in Gateway? I could be a different machine. not sure

Basically from my experinces, u do need an pretty fast machine to use the cool MCE features The setup is easy, just like any MS OS, but getting the right hardware to work with MCE could be tough. The hardest part is the remote control, I dont know if people have find an solution to this problem yet.

And yes, u can find many information on the MCE if u know where to look, I once post an article about how to make your own MCE and I almost got ban here.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Quote:
But I'm having trouble finding sites that deal with installing MCE oneself.
not a suitable topic for AVS posts...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.