AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which wire gauge is recommended for a bi-wire set-up? Which gauge is best for the treble? Which gauge is best for the mid/bass? [Will be used on Paradigm Studio/40's and /CC. Front end is Yamaha RX-V1000]

For example (Quoting from the Mfg websites): IXOS 6002 Super Gamma 7 and 6004 Flat utilizes "15 AWG conductors for the high frequency, and 13 AWG conductors for the bass". However, DH Labs Silver Sonic Q-10 uses "a combination of two 12 gauge and two 14 gauge conductors equates to a 10 gauge cable with an abundance of application flexibility. The cable can be run straight, as an internal bi-wire, or a standard (external) bi-wire". I can't find a description of the conductors used in the T-14. In another thread, Reaper mentions using "12 gauge for the tweets and 10 for the mids".

Aren't there single bi-wire cables sold that use the same gauge for both the treble and the bass? Should I avoid those? Which ones are they? (Got any names to avoid)? Are Single Biwires that use different gauge conductors better?

What is the rule of thumb when determining speaker wire gauge, especially in a bi-wire scenario?

Are there negative effects (i.e. magnetic interference, RF, etc.) when using 2 wires as in an external bi-wire, as opposed to a single internal bi-wire?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Saw your other post where you state you want to go ahead with this, so I withdraw my objection!

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
The idea is to make sure you have cable thick enough to carry the current appropriately. The reason you usually have 2 different guages is that the mids/bass use more power than the tweeter does. The tweeter is a much smaller speaker to move. So, since there's a lesser power requirement for the tweeter, you can save some money and get a smaller cable.

Admittedly, my cable setup is probably overkill. But it was relatively inexpensive. So, I felt fine doing that. It doesn't hurt to have a larger cable than needed... but it would be a problem to have a smaller cable than needed. You should probably use 14 guage for the tweeter and 12 for the mids at a min. If you want to upsize, it couldn't hurt.

reaper

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reaper,

If I understand your implication, you don't recommend using a cable that claims it is (or can be biwired) that, when terminated, uses the same gauge for both speaker terminals. That would include cables that may have 4 conductors of different gauge, but when combined averages to the same gauge for each Highs and Lows. Right?

[I need to find out how Silver Sonic's T-14 is biwired?]

How about my last question:

I thought it would be more advantageous to use an internal SBW instead of an external DBW, like you do. Aren't there negative effects (i.e. magnetic interference, RF, etc.) when using 2 wires as opposed to a single internal bi-wire?

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
Like I said, a bigger cable wouldn't hurt. So, if you wanted to match the tweeter cable to the mids/bass cable, that would be fine as long as it didn't mean you were selecting something too small for the mids/bass. If you decided to go with 12 guage for both, for example, that would work.

I have never had any issues with using two wires as an extrenal Bi-Wire situation. I never have interference with any RF signals or magnetic interference.

These are just my opinions based on my own research/reading/experience when I bought my own Studio 40s.

reaper

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
These are just my opinions based on my own research/reading/experience when I bought my own Studio 40s.
And that is all I have asked for. Thanks for sharing your experience and opinion.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by reaper
Like I said, a bigger cable wouldn't hurt.
Is this a general statement? I'm looking to pre-wire a few rooms during onstruction, and I know little about speaker wire. Is there a downside to bigger wire (besides cost)? The longest runs will be about 30-40 feet.

KB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.