AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning an extensive renovation of my house.

I want:

video runs (for satellite AND digital cable)

Distributed video (e.g. from a centrally located DVD, VHS, TIVO, ETC.)

high speed internet runs

audio distribution (non-modulated)

alarm sytem

phone sytem

I do not want a modulated system for the video. I have it now and the resolution loss ain't acceptable.

I will use the ADS Dominet sytem for AV distribution.

Which type of wires and how many. (e. cat 5, RG6, etc) will I need?

I want to make sure my installer isn't forgetting anything. You know how expensive it would be to add the forgotten wire(s) later, eh?

Thanks Jeff

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Without hands on experience with the A/D/S Dominet system, I can't provide a fully conclusive list; however, ...

1. You must make absolutely certain the video matrix switch part of the system has more than adequate bandwidth to support the video traffic...ALSO...the best way to configure such distribution systems is to route all video outs into the video in on the distribution box...from there out to your zones.

2. Your video runs will require RG6Quad Shield (copper center conductor) or the newer spec Serial Digital Cable. In addition to running the coax to each location, you'll need to run L/R audio as well. Here's the rub...you should run L/R (using SD or RG6) plus one additional coax. Why? If you want video with DD routed to your family room, you're going to have to send the Digital Out. That means...one video, one digital, one left, and one right.

3. If you're wanting the Digital Out from one of your sources to make it to the Family Room, you're going to need a A/V distribution system that will matrix switch digital audio. If it cannot do that, you'll need another Video distribution that will (a) handle the bandwidth and (b) slaved to the video.

4. You'll need *FIVE* RG6 coax runs in the attic for a SAT Dish plus OTA Antenna. You'll need one Coax Run from the service entry to the equipment area for cable. If you're going to distributed video from a central source, to save on cable runs, you should install your SAT and Cable boxes in the central equipment area as well otherwise, you'll need another Coax run added to the ones above.

5. Your A/V distribution control system should also provide for priority...for example, you don't want to be watching a movie in your theater and have someone somewhere else, change channels, turn off the DVD, or whatever.

6. Your security system should cover all window (second story as well) and all entry points. You should have a motion detector in the attic and/or a contact closure on the entrance to the attic from the living spaces (the current state of the art is to enter from the attic, stuff a sock in the siren and cut the phone line). Which also says, install a cellular by-pass. If your phone is out, the signal is sent via cellular (about $10-$15/mo for the service). (In my own system, cutting the phone line provides a "silent" alarm and contacts the monitoring service via cell phone.)

7. Your security system would ideally have a contact closure to your control system (or directly to your HVAC system) when the smoke alarms go off, you shut down the fans on the HVAC units.

8. You should run a minimum of two CAT5e wires from your control hub to the service entry. To each phone location you should run (do not daisy chain) a cat5 to each phone location. Run CAT5e in addition to this to each location you might have a computer plugged (for all of this I suggest a distribution patch panel).

Here's an example of (in some minds) over the top. (This is an actual system.)

Central A/V distribution (not modulated) from 4 Sat receivers, two 300 disk DVD players, one 300 Disk CD player, et al to the theater, two plasma sets, four standard TV's (one HD). In addition color security cameras at three locations outside the house and two inside (child's play room and bedroom).

Intercom in all rooms.

Lutron Homeworks lighting system.

Security System (including garage doors and direction senstive driveway sensors).

Panasonic Phone system

Contact closures to garage door openers and door bells.

Pentium based Web server.

----

General functions.

Alarm goes off, lights flash in house, cell call to monitoring services, all cameras to record, doors unlock. I want out, they want out.

Set alarm to "Away", HVAC, locks and lights to "Away" all TV's off.

Set alarm to "Night" or set lights to "Good Night": HVAC set back, Doors lock, garage doors close, TV's off except master.

Set system to Guest: Good night will not dim lights in guest quarters or turn off TV. HVAC begins to service guest room to guest preferences.

Car drives into driveway, driveway lights on (after sunset), drive camera on, record on. Touch panels in Master, Office, and Kitchen show view. Light flashes once in theater.

From out of town, over internet, access cameras and control system (let the maid in, turn off sprinkler system, etc.) Listen to kids over intercom, view kids over camera, kids see you on TV "say good night, daddy will be home tommorrow".

Car exits driveway, driveway lights fade to off (after sunset).

Good News. In a hurricane, the wire holds the house together.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Good News. In a hurricane, the wire holds the house together.
And also keeps the neighbors from hearing any of your cordless phone conversations, and keeps you safe from outside radiation, and makes your home bullet resistant up to a 7.62NATO round.

:)

That's a lot of copper!

·
Registered
27,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much Dennis for that extensive reply. This will really help when I discuss things with my installer.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Erskine
Without hands on experience with the A/D/S Dominet system, I can't provide a fully conclusive list; however, ...

1. You must make absolutely certain the video matrix switch part of the system has more than adequate bandwidth to support the video traffic...ALSO...the best way to configure such distribution systems is to route all video outs into the video in on the distribution box...from there out to your zones.

2. Your video runs will require RG6Quad Shield (copper center conductor) or the newer spec Serial Digital Cable. In addition to running the coax to each location, you'll need to run L/R audio as well. Here's the rub...you should run L/R (using SD or RG6) plus one additional coax. Why? If you want video with DD routed to your family room, you're going to have to send the Digital Out. That means...one video, one digital, one left, and one right.

3. If you're wanting the Digital Out from one of your sources to make it to the Family Room, you're going to need a A/V distribution system that will matrix switch digital audio. If it cannot do that, you'll need another Video distribution that will (a) handle the bandwidth and (b) slaved to the video.

4. You'll need *FIVE* RG6 coax runs in the attic for a SAT Dish plus OTA Antenna. You'll need one Coax Run from the service entry to the equipment area for cable. If you're going to distributed video from a central source, to save on cable runs, you should install your SAT and Cable boxes in the central equipment area as well otherwise, you'll need another Coax run added to the ones above.

5. Your A/V distribution control system should also provide for priority...for example, you don't want to be watching a movie in your theater and have someone somewhere else, change channels, turn off the DVD, or whatever.

6. Your security system should cover all window (second story as well) and all entry points. You should have a motion detector in the attic and/or a contact closure on the entrance to the attic from the living spaces (the current state of the art is to enter from the attic, stuff a sock in the siren and cut the phone line). Which also says, install a cellular by-pass. If your phone is out, the signal is sent via cellular (about $10-$15/mo for the service). (In my own system, cutting the phone line provides a "silent" alarm and contacts the monitoring service via cell phone.)

7. Your security system would ideally have a contact closure to your control system (or directly to your HVAC system) when the smoke alarms go off, you shut down the fans on the HVAC units.

8. You should run a minimum of two CAT5e wires from your control hub to the service entry. To each phone location you should run (do not daisy chain) a cat5 to each phone location. Run CAT5e in addition to this to each location you might have a computer plugged (for all of this I suggest a distribution patch panel).

Good Idea about the Attic. Good thing I have four empty pipes from the attic to my central Hub :)

A few others that I ended up running in addition to the above:

Cat-5e to the Water Heater (Either smart unit in future or water sensor for now)

Cat-5e to any sprinkler system control unit

Cat-5e to any Low Voltage Exterior Lighting control unit

Cat-5e to exterior for rain sensor

Cat-5e to exterior for temperature sensor

Cat-5e to HVAC unit(s) ** My home controller talks serially to the HVAC units

Cat-5e from Alarm Cabinet to A/V Cabinet if not the same. ** My home automation controller talks serially to the Security system

Dennis, you're right. Between me and the contractors (I finished up this weekend), there isn't a stud cavity in my home not filled with wires. It'll take me 2 years to connect everything, but I'm going to have fun doing it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.