AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks!

Great reading on this board!

Wanted to know if you guys can assist me in this manner. I am start construction on my new home and would like to pre-wire everything before hand.

I would like to know what wires to lay, here are some of the things I am considering:

1. Video (Cable, Dish Network, DirectV, Media Server, Netflix, Blu Ray) Please let me know if I forgot something.

2. Audio Speakers (throughout house)

3. Security

4. Cameras

5. Automation (Probably lighting, hvac, fans, and automatic curtains)

6. Telephone (will most likely be VOIP)

I hope I got everything please let me know if I am missing anything. Not all items will be installed immediately, however I would like the option to make it work.

I want to know how many CAT6 to run to each room with the ability to use extra if I need to in the future.

Look forward to your assistance in this matter.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Way too broad. You need to ask more specific questions. At a minimum, anywhere you'd want electronics, two CAT-6 and two RG-6QS... there's lots beyond that, audio, security cameras, etc, etc

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Read the Wiring Your Home wiki over at Cocoontech.com - that will get you started as to what is needed for much of this... Then you can ask some more specific questions.

But yes, lots of cat5/cat6 to a whole lot of potential locations. It will never be this cheap to lay wires. And flex conduit to key and/or inaccessible areas for future-proofing.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.