AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I finally decided on my speakers, Dynaudio focus 220II's.

I was wondering which of the following setups would work better, for the best price.

Some people have told me an avr like the 4311ci could push these speakers fine, but I was going to buy a 4311 and add an emotiva xpa-2 to run these.

However, I recently researched the Pioneer sc-37 more and am growing rather fond of it. The icepower seems that it would power my dynaudio's better than just the 4311. I would likely add an xpa-2 to either of these receivers EVENTUALLY, but to start I will likely run the speakers through the receiver.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid /forum/post/20803452

Okay so I finally decided on my speakers, Dynaudio focus 220II's.

I was wondering which of the following setups would work better, for the best price.

Some people have told me an avr like the 4311ci could push these speakers fine, but I was going to buy a 4311 and add an emotiva xpa-2 to run these.

However, I recently researched the Pioneer sc-37 more and am growing rather fond of it. The icepower seems that it would power my dynaudio's better than just the 4311. I would likely add an xpa-2 to either of these receivers EVENTUALLY, but to start I will likely run the speakers through the receiver.

Any suggestions?

The Denon has more channels of amplification (9.2 vs. 7.1) and probably a better auto EQ adjustment. The Pioneer has more efficient, cooler, and probably better amps, but that is also subjective. The denon has explicit 4 ohm support, but users of the SC-37 have been able to run 4 ohm speakers without a hitch. The current price is better on the Pios and they look nicer, but this decision is almost purely subjective. Either would work quite well with this setup without any power strain.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 /forum/post/20803698

According to this review in Audioholics the SC07 had problems with 4 ohm loads so I would get an amp either way.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...s-and-analysis

Not sure about the SC37 but the SC07 also had the ice amps.

That's interesting; I haven't heard that. My VSX-94TXH (the predecessor to the SC series) runs 4 ohm speakers quite well, and I assumed the iceamps did as well.

After further research though, it seems as if the SC07's power supply was causing it to have trouble with 4ohm loads, not the amp itself.

To the OP: Pioneer's new SC-55/57 might be your ticket as well. They haven't really hit the streets much, but they have a newer, more linear, and more in-house designed amp. It is still class D, but it is no longer icepower. The 55 and the 57 both output 9.2 channels, just like the 4311.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea 9.2 doesn't matter much to me, except for the preouts since I won't even be buying an amp until I move out of my apartment. The sc-37 has second and third zone capabilities, can't I use these for external amps or no?

The xt-32 does tempt me to move towards the 4311, however the other options seem to favor the sc-37...especially the amp, which is the main reason I now strongly consider the sc-37. I also don't care much for the thx certification of the sc-37.

I really just want an avr that can power these speakers very well, and an avr that can handle a 2 channel amp later on

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid
yea 9.2 doesn't matter much to me, except for the preouts since I won't even be buying an amp until I move out of my apartment. The sc-37 has second and third zone capabilities, can't I use these for external amps or no?

The xt-32 does tempt me to move towards the 4311, however the other options seem to favor the sc-37...especially the amp, which is the main reason I now strongly consider the sc-37. I also don't care much for the thx certification of the sc-37.

I really just want an avr that can power these speakers very well, and an avr that can handle a 2 channel amp later on
You might want to pm Ccotenj as he is someone who has owned an SC and the Denon A100, which has the same amps as the 4311. He actually ditched a bryston amp because the Denon had plenty of power. the biggest feature of XT32 is the SubEQ HT. If you have 2 subs I would strongly consider XT32 for that feature.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18
That's interesting; I haven't heard that. My VSX-94TXH (the predecessor to the SC series) runs 4 ohm speakers quite well, and I assumed the iceamps did as well.

After further research though, it seems as if the SC07's power supply was causing it to have trouble with 4ohm loads, not the amp itself.

To the OP: Pioneer's new SC-55/57 might be your ticket as well. They haven't really hit the streets much, but they have a newer, more linear, and more in-house designed amp. It is still class D, but it is no longer icepower. The 55 and the 57 both output 9.2 channels, just like the 4311.
I was surprised when I read that because I had heard nothing but good things about the ice amps. I hadn't seen anything else since that article so I didn't know if they fixed the issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eventually I will buy a sub...once I no longer live in an apartment.

So the sub eq isn't that big of a deal, I was just at a friends that had martin logans and an onkyo pre-pro and he said it runs 4 ohms well. Have any of you experienced a denon 3/4311ci and the pre-pro? And thanks Mj, I will pm him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts