AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just Curious what everyone would buy and why...

If you had 2,000 or so to spend on a PJ which of these three would you buy?

Key Factors

1. Light Controlled Room.

2. MAX 8' Ceiling

3. All other system components are as you want them. Oppo 870 or 881 so on and so forth.

Panasonic AE100U 2,000 lumens 6,000:1 Contrast ratio for 1899.00 (plus 200.00 mail in rebate)

PLV-Z5 1100 lumens 10,000:1 contrast ratio for 1495.00 (also 200.00 mail in rebate)

Mitsubishi HD1000U 1500 Lumens 2500:1 contrast ratio for 879.00 (roughly average street I can find from reputable dealers)

Which one and Why?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would take a serious look at Epson 810 and its' thread in this forum on how to get it below 2K.

AX100U seems to be having lot of problems. So, look at Epson or Mits HD1000U should be a nice projector to own if setup works until 1080p projectors drop down to 2K range.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Mitsubishi HD1000U

·
Registered
107 Posts
I love the images and the reviews of the Panny, but I echo the sentiment that the number of problems listed here about the Panny is getting a little scary. Keep in mind that it's one of the best selling pjs, so we're talking about a fraction of people with problems, but the issue might be one that develops, so it's a gamble at this point. The Z5 is a good pj from what I've heard, but can have problems and Sanyo reportedly has horrible customer service. If DLP rainbows do not affect you (it just happens to bother some, me included) you'd be hard pressed to find a better pj for under 2 grand. The fact that it's under 1000 bucks makes it, I think the best pj there is, again if DLP works for you. Lastly, the Epson. It almost, I said ALMOST is what the Panny should be: an LCD pj that's bright, has pretty good contrast (not as good as DLP) and is backed by the company with a good warranty. No, it's not as bright as the Panny (but that may be exactly what's causing the Panny's problems), has a lounder fan than the Panny -- but that keeps it cool, which is what the Panny seems to NOT be doing, and thus seems to be having thermal heat problems. and the Epson's contrast is a little bit lower than the Panny's (i think it's 5000 vs 7500). If you look at the picture of gandalf in the projector reviews.com reviews of the epson and the panny, you can see that the picture has more contrast on the panny. but the pic on the epson is very good. both the panny and the epson are available at costco, which is some security.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qb5171 /forum/post/0

If you can get pass the installation problems I would definitely go for the Mit HD1000

Personally, I can't get by the Mits install limitations...

And the Epson apparently doesn't accept 1080/60p or 24p like the AX100 does.

Which IS a factor for me.

So I'm taking my chances on the Panny, but only from an authorized dealer with a great return policy

dc

·
Registered
935 Posts
Unless you need the installation flexibility (long zoom, lens shift) of the Panny and the Sanyo, I would get the Mitsu. LCDs are a lot easier to fit into a room, but I do like the picture of a DLP. And of course, the it's a lot cheaper too.

Jim

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixkillerNYC /forum/post/0

It's a DLP projector without lens shift, so the built in offset means that you're a bit limited in where you can place the projector and what your screen size will be.

Currently, I have a Panasonic AE700, ceiling mounted, 106" screen. I can place the pj as close or as far as needed but my ceiling in the basement is about 8'. Would that work? And would it be a major upgrade in image quality?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is what I was worried about with the mitsu...

My ceiling height is limited. 92 inches and "IF" i am doing the math right

92 -18.5" (for a 110" screen offset) - 54" ( screen height) = 19.5" or the Height from Finished floor to the bottom of the screen. If I don't use keystone and tilt the projector...

Is my math pretty much correct guys?

How bad would keystoning screw up the image (keep in mind my only experience with HD is a few hours of game play on a 30" LCD playing Rainbow Six Vegas in 720p

·
Registered
563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Green72 /forum/post/0

Currently, I have a Panasonic AE700, ceiling mounted, 106" screen. I can place the pj as close or as far as needed but my ceiling in the basement is about 8'. Would that work? And would it be a major upgrade in image quality?

I don't have either projector, so I can't tell you for sure, but I'd think it would be a significant upgrade in image quality.

As for the offset, take a look att he projetor calculator here

http://www.mitsubishi-presentations....tor_tools.html

It will tell you what your options are. My back of the napkin guess is that it will work, but your screen might be a little low to the ground for your liking.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan /forum/post/0

I just did my calculations. It looks like 92 inch screen, 7 ft 5 inch ceiling won't work well. I think I'll go with the Sanyo given the quality issues and poor warranty with the panasonic.

Pat

Hi Pat. Hard to lose with any of these guys. I have to interject one thing that swayed my decision to the Pany just so you get another perspective. Pany's support and repair facilities have been top-notch and very co-operative with virtually everyone that's had a problem. That speaks volumes to me. I suspect the volume of problems documented with the AX100 are exagerrated by the focus of forums like this one on resolving problems as opposed to focusing on the positive experience of the many totally satisfied owners. I won't belabor that point. It has been beat up ad-nauseum on this forum. I leave you to your continued research.

I'd also challenge you to take a look at the problems folks are having getting Sanyo to stand behind their defective units. Some of the stories (dare I interpret most based on the threads I have read) are horrifying and my synopsis is that support from Sanyo is virtually non-existent at worst and extremely hard to get at best. I leave you to go read about that here too.

Just thoughts to ponder. At the end of the day, both are great projectors and you won't go wrong with either assuming you get a good one. If you happen to be one of the unlucky ones, you need to consider the ramifications of that too.

I chose Pany. Hands down.

Good luck in your decision and happy movie watching.

-bob

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson-Flyer /forum/post/0

Hi Pat. Hard to lose with any of these guys. I have to interject one thing that swayed my decision to the Pany just so you get another perspective. Pany's support and repair facilities have been top-notch and very co-operative with virtually everyone that's had a problem. That speaks volumes to me.

-bob

I really appreciate the feedback Bob. I just wonder why if Pany is so good at support and repair facilities, then why the piss poor warranty? Just a thought that bugs me.

Pat

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think Wilson echos my thoughts. And it's true that though a bunch of people have had issues with their pannys, they also all seem to relate how they talk to heartland, get the panny out and are even sent a replacement while their pjs are worked and in some cases are offered the option of keeping the replacement. Sanyo seems to be unfindable when there's a problem and when reached, provide a lot to be desired as far as customer service goes. Ultimately, even though panny only gives you a year warranty, I think the color issues the Pannys have developed within 400 or so hours. If you watch with any regularity, you should get to that usage before too long. And you can get the panny from costco.com. which is a bit of a trump card as far as return worry goes...I haven't made up my mind yet between the panny and the epson 400 and both are at costco. It seems the panny is better all around, and though there's a gamble to get one with issues, returning it will be easy.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan /forum/post/0

I really appreciate the feedback Bob. I just wonder why if Pany is so good at support and repair facilities, then why the piss poor warranty? Just a thought that bugs me.

Pat

Comparatively speaking. Most electronics that do fail, fail within the first couple of weeks. Certainly, any issues should raise their heads in the first year probably. Never bought and extended warranty on anything in my life. got a 3 year extended warranty including bulb replacement for

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
No interest in the Sharp DT-500?

DLP with a smaller offset than the 1000U, but costs as much as the Z5.

The AE100 made me nervous with all the problems

The Z5 is made by Sanyo, and I see alot of horry stories regarding warranty.

The 1000U, seems like a FANTASTIC deal, but I didn't want to deal with that Offset(one of the reasons I also didn't get the HD70- I have 7.5' ceilings as well)...

That left me just a few options, and the Costco refund policy sealed the deal for me.

It's my first FP, but I must say that the picture looks awesome.

Happy Hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcar /forum/post/0

Just Curious what everyone would buy and why...

If you had 2,000 or so to spend on a PJ which of these three would you buy?

Key Factors

1. Light Controlled Room.

2. MAX 8' Ceiling

3. All other system components are as you want them. Oppo 870 or 881 so on and so forth.

Panasonic AE100U 2,000 lumens 6,000:1 Contrast ratio for 1899.00 (plus 200.00 mail in rebate)

PLV-Z5 1100 lumens 10,000:1 contrast ratio for 1495.00 (also 200.00 mail in rebate)

Mitsubishi HD1000U 1500 Lumens 2500:1 contrast ratio for 879.00 (roughly average street I can find from reputable dealers)

Which one and Why?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz /forum/post/0

No interest in the Sharp DT-500?

DLP with a smaller offset than the 1000U...

Just to be devil's advocate, why settle on anything that pins you down with things like fixed offsets unless you have to? Sorry. I don't get that one. I settled on my Infocus 48xx but it was the only thing out there even remotely in my budget range at the time. Hardly an argument given the ones being considered here.

Just my thoughts. I don't like my equipment dictating how I do things. I'd rather mandate what I demand from my equipment. Just me I guess.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.