AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which LCD would you buy out of the two? The Toshiba Regza 52XV545U or Sharp Aquos LC-52D85U?

Also, please explain why you would pick one over the other. I know WoodyJoe is all for the XV545, and I would definitely pick that over the Samsung A630, but today I got a wicked deal on the Sharp Aquos LC-52D85U.

The price of both TVs are relatively the same.

Here's a comment one reviewer had on both LCDs.
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/flatpan...tv/index4.html

WG

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuDude /forum/post/15545906

Buy the one that looks best to YOU.

They both look good to me. I'd buy both if I had the room and money.

I also like to hear other ppls opinions just in case I might've missed something.

WG

·
Registered
866 Posts
With the price being equal I would go with the toashiba for the srt alone. But you knew I was going to say that didnt you?

I would take most reviews with a grain of salt.

Although his review of the 545 was mostly positive a couple of low points I disagree with.

"Fluorescent greens, too-blue cyans".

Not every 545 has this and the ones that do it can be adjusted out to a satisfactory level most of the time. Toshiba isnt the only tv to have a color push.

"Video processing mediocre overall".

They have a processor that actually improves 480/720/dvd. That alone should put it in another league by itself.And toshiba, especially the 545 handles motion blur as good or better than most. How can he say processor is a high point on a sharp and toshibas does both these things better but video processor is mediocre overall?

"Poor onboard audio".

The default mode had the bass enhancements way too high for the small speakers. I made some adjustments and I think its fine. Not home theatre but acceptable. Most lcds have sub par sound even a lot of your most highly regarded sets.

I do agree with a couple of his points though.

"SRT sharpens DVD material surprisingly well".

Not only dvd but all 480/720.

"Excellent blacks and shadow detail".

This was actually one of the things that seperated the 545 from the samsung I owned. The toshiba was so much better. Picture and colors really pop.

This also seems to be a low point on the sharp also according to him.

I would agree with the other poster though. You should choose the one that looks better to you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up returning the Sharp. I'm going all the way with the XV545. Apparently the Sharp can't display dark on dark very well. I should've never second guessed the XV545. I can't wait to get it.

WG

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsallen /forum/post/15549407

I will go for Sharp Aquos LC-52D85U

1. Cheaper - comparison at amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC52D85U-52-Inch-1080p/dp/B001E91OCO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231906748&sr=8-1

2. Better contrast

3. Better motion blur (highly important for bigger screen)

Well that is definitely a good price on the sharp even when you add shipping if you feel comfortable ordering online from that company.

However if statements 2 and 3 above are compared to the toshiba 545u you are wrong about both.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm Canadian... Amazon.com prices on electronics are invalid to Canadians. I can get the Sharp LC-52D85U for $1849CDN plus tax and the Toshbia 52XV545U for $1799CDN plus tax. Free shipping on both televisions.

After reading reviews posted on UltimateAVMag.com, it seems like the Sharp can't display dark on dark very well, while the Toshiba seems to be much better. The Peak Contrast ratio on the Toshiba is also much better than with the Sharp.

WG

·
Registered
452 Posts
I was just in a store today that had these two sets side by side, and I spent quite a while comparing them. To me, the Toshiba was noticeably better in the area of black level and shadow detail. I kept looking at the Sharp, though, because it was on sale for US$500 less than the Toshiba! So, I was unable to convice myself to go Toshiba because of the Sharp's price, and unable to convince myself to go Sharp because of the Toshiba's PQ. I left the store empty handed.

·
Registered
866 Posts
At least you have a better idea which one looks better to you. Now you just have to find it at a price you feel comfortable with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts