AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If prices were the same (which by the way is not as insane as it might seem on the surface, but we will leave that to another thread) which of the above projectors would you likely buy and why based on what you have seen and/or read on these projectors. By the way, I realize that most people do not make buying decisions this way (nor do I), but I'm just curious how people think about which projector they might buy (or have already bought). Use whatever criteria you feel is relevant.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Ok. I'd just buy the best looking piece of equipment...and beat it into shape. I've yet to find a piece of electronics that could not be improved..and most can be improved significantly. This is in over 20 years of looking.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's still early, but thus far this is one of the closest polls (no clear favorite) I've seen on here in a long time. The diversity of thought is great, but it's also probably why some of us are having a hard time narrowing down our short list.

Have Fun, It's Just HT :)

Mark

·
Registered
44 Posts
I noticed that the Sony 11HT is not on the list. Has this one already falled out of the "in" list?

Also, the G150CL and calibrated G15 are close to being the same. Maybe a "G150CL or Calibrated G15" option would have been better than listing both.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
At this point, I opted for "none of the above". I can't justify spending $8K or more to buy an HD1 DLP when HD2 is literally right around the corner.

LCOS is in it's infancy, with some significant unresolved problems including purple blacks and pretty low contrast ratio. I just don't get a feeling that this technology is receiving the kind of attention and R&D that DLP is. Too bad, because it would be great to have this level of resolution coupled with brightness and killer black/contrast ratio.

Winter's over, so don't need a D-ILA to heat my house with. LCD has seen a little refinement but awaits further major improvement--a jump to contrast ratio around the 1000 level is apparently in the works at Sanyo. We'll see if it materializes.

I took my time buying my first projector and the patience was rewarded with a great performing, very reliable HT. If I didn't have a projector now but just couldn't wait, I'd opt for one of the less expensive solutions like the AE100 rather than pay up to $10K for a high-end projector that is going to be obsoleted in a few short months by the HD-2.

Having said that, I expect that Seleco, Marantz and possibly Sharp will release HD-2 projectors that are going to be irresistible. There will be further refinements in the color wheel and we'll be looking at projectors that pump 1200 lumens or more at contrast ratios exceeding 1000. At this point, an upgrade will be mandatory and I'll have to test my wife's near infinite tolerance of this expensive addiction once again!

My hat's off to the guys who have the bucks and the bravado to buy the latest and greatest and then come here and very generously tell us all about the good and the bad. The pioneers on this board are directly responsible for pushing FPTV and digital projection ahead at warp speed. I wish I had the budget to play this game.

Dan

·
Registered
354 Posts
FYI, my understanding is that the 150 CL is NOT a g15, but uses the 420 watt bulb and puts out about 1000 lumens.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With about 57 votes in, we are starting to see some distinctions. Another way to look at the results is by technology which currently breaks out as so:

D-ILA = 40%

DLP = 30%

LCOS = 16%

Other = 14%

OR

Reflective LCD (DILA+LCOS) = 56%

Reflective Micro Mirrors (DLP) = 30%

Other = 14%

Any surprises for anyone? Good thing Alan resolved his JVC issues :)

Have Fun, It's Just HT

Mark

·
Banned
770 Posts
Thought I'd share this e-mail we recieved today from one of our customers on a "other" machine.

"Thank You for introducing me to the Optoma H55 it is great and I love it!

I was looking at the Sharp and the Marantz dlp projectors. I looked at the

Optoma at your request, and all I can say is Thank You, Thank You, Thank

You!

I have to tell you, I could not leave well enough alone. I brought the H55

to the dealer that was showing me the Sharp and Marantz and his comments

were " I thought it would be ok; but this is good, no, real real good! And

you can't beat the price. You made a good buy. I can't knock it."

Thanks Again

David Ceaser "

I think it speaks for itself.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I can't vote in this poll because I've only seen three of these projectors, and with only a few exceptions (nobody) has seen the Transvision 2. I doubt that many people have seen all these projectors. So what is the point?

John Moschella

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I agree with John Moschella you cannot judge a projector until you have seen it, and since I have not seen most of them, I did not vote.

Plus all the projectors (if I am not mistaken) are either Lcos or DLP, so I think that would skew the stats

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys,

Let's face it - these polls are not very precise anyway, but they can be useful as directional measures. By equalizing price, the question essentially boils down to which projector offers the most bang in terms of features and functionality (like picture quality for instance). By asking everyone to designate their own purchase criteria, I'm sure this leads to a real mixed bag of perspectives, but real life is full of these mixed perspectives so that part doesn't really bother me. Some people will interpret this as not being able to vote for a projector until they have seen it in action, whereas others will be able to draw some conclusions based on what they have seen or heard elsewhere. A good example of this is the TV2, Vivid Red, and 150CL. Few people have probably seen any of these projectors and while the TV2 and Vivid Red have lagged in this poll undoubtedly due in part to this lack of visibility, the 150CL has fared pretty well during the entire polling period thus far. Clearly because so few have seen the 150CL, people are triangulating to this choice based on other facts and figures they have seen or heard elsewhere. The same way there's nothing wrong with someone not making a decision until they have seen everything, there's equally nothing wrong with someone triangulating to choose a projector they have not seen.

So what does it all mean - probably nothing. But given that this is probably one of the most knowledgeable consumer crowds around digital projectors (at least vis-a-vis the rest of the "normal" population), it does give us some directional indications of which projectors the more knowledgeable projector folks are most interested in at this moment in time. Undoubtedly as more of the newer projectors are seen by more people on this forum, these interest levels will change with time, but once again, at least for me, it's just another mimic of life where desires and interests constantly change with new information.

Have Fun Guys, It's Just HT :)

Mark

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With about double the votes since the last update (119), the technology breakout looks as such:

DLP = 36%

D-ILA = 31%

LCOS = 14%

Other = 19%

OR

Reflective LCD (DILA+LCOS) = 45%

Reflective Micro Mirrors (DLP) = 36%

Other = 19%

There seem to be 3 definite camps on this board these days - the DLP camp, the DILA/LCOS camp, and a third camp likely focused on lower price point projectors, LCDs, and maybe CRTs. Interesting stuff.

Have Fun, It's Just HT

Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.